Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Buy new or refurbished?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo RT
    Liked
    6 times
    I think you should buy a refurbished tablet. Why? Because we can save money and refurbished is only was have misstake and was fixed by manufacturers, it's good after fixed and noproblem. You should chooice tablet with 500GB dock version, it's will best.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I'll just say this - I have read far too many posts here about "refurbished" devices (at least one of which was alleged to have been "refurbished" by Asus - where the refurbishment clearly consisted of simply repackaging the returned device (complete with faults) & then reselling it

With the possible exception of Apple who do seem to have an exemplary record on their refurbished devices, I don't buy refurbished electronics unless the price is so much cheaper that it is a "no brainer". That means I have done it once!

In the case in point, it was for a special Amazon local deal for a "certified refurbished Kindle Touch" from Amazon themselves. Given that it was 39 instead of the normal refurb price of 85 (when the Kindle Paperwhite was 109) & it came with a full Amazon 12 month warranty, it seemed a no brainer to me As it turned out, when it came it was clearly brand new & probably came from a supply of new Kindle Touch stock that Amazon "discovered" in a stock check & then cleared out because the Touch isn't a current model any more.

On the subject of memory storage size, given the storage hog that Windows & its apps/programmes has become over the years, (only one of the reasons I won't ever have a Windows device again) I would say that 64gb is likely the minimum size to buy - 32gb probably wouldn't be anywhere near large enough.

Cheers all

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Just to note, 32gb has been more than enough for me. I easily have more than a hundred apps and programs loaded on here. I don't do any thing like Photoshop on here or anything though.
    The office suite takes the largest chunk for me. And from the sounds of your purposes, 32 sounds fine.

I think no matter what, that with 64, 128, etc., one will have to clear out the last few GB anyway, if the tab is for media consumption.
    Getting a 64 is even more of a null point if you have a pc to look to for storage.

Considering refurb... I got my 32 for 300 for sale. Your call. I have never had problems with refurbished computing devices, either.
    Last edited by cptscruffy; 06-19-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Let us know what you decide.... I would go with refurbished 64 GB if I could do it again, but since I have the 32 I will wait for the next model and probably go 128 GB if they offer it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    In case it helps with the decision re storage size, I've got the 32GB model and most of my stuff is installed in D:\Program Files. This includes Adobe Lightroom, Perfect Photo Suite, Photoshop Elements, Sony Movie Studio Platinum, plus the complete Java SDK and Android Development Toolkit, and a load of smaller programs. And everything runs fine from the 64GB micro-SD card.
    rscheller and Swipe like this.
    Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    In fairness to myself I have to go look at the Acer Switch 10 also. Unfortunately all the reviews are from the first week it came out and there's not much real life data on it yet. It seems to be a love or leave it machine.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal1 View Post
    In fairness to myself I have to go look at the Acer Switch 10 also. Unfortunately all the reviews are from the first week it came out and there's not much real life data on it yet. It seems to be a love or leave it machine.
    There are comparisons made to both -- enter "Acer Switch 10 vs Asus T100" in Google search.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    There are comparisons made to both -- enter "Acer Switch 10 vs Asus T100" in Google search.
    I know, but those were done shortly after release. The Acer has a pretty short track record, and there have been issues with the capacitive windows button on this and previous Acers. I know what forum this is, so I do know the biases. It's understandable. Hopefully, unlike my Subaru forum, there won't be as many fan boys here blatantly bashing Acer just because they have the Asus

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by supersheep View Post
    I think you should buy a refurbished tablet. Why? Because we can save money and refurbished is only was have misstake and was fixed by manufacturers, it's good after fixed and noproblem. You should chooice tablet with 500GB dock version, it's will best.
    What language speakest thou?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal1 View Post
    I know, but those were done shortly after release. The Acer has a pretty short track record, and there have been issues with the capacitive windows button on this and previous Acers. I know what forum this is, so I do know the biases. It's understandable. Hopefully, unlike my Subaru forum, there won't be as many fan boys here blatantly bashing Acer just because they have the Asus.
    There's probably an Acer forum out there in Internet land where you can find Acer fan boys. Here we specialize in non-biased opinions. Posting a suggestion is an example of just that philosophy. I would not buy a refurbished device if a new one was only $50 more. But it's your choice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links