Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Storage for ASUS T100 Transformer Book

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased the Asus T100 34gb as me and my girlfriend are going travelling and wanted a small light tablet/notebook. We are going to want to store films, music, photo's etc. that we take along the way - I know very little about this and am looking at getting either a 64gb Micro SD card or a 500gb portable hard drive!? Would they both do the same job!? I understand the 500gb would store more but if needed would both the Micro SD and portable hard drive store apps or downloads such as iTunes, picasa, Skype, eBay etc...

Any advice would be much appreciated!?

Thanks

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

The only apps you would be able to store on the external storage are the install files, not the apps themselves. I doubt the other items you listed could go there either if you're talking about trying to install them there. There is a way to insert a microSD card and change a mount point to allow a microSD card to have installs on it but I would not advise that. The external storage would work for all your media, photos etc.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    I don't know about those apps specifically, but most "traditional" (non-Windows Store) apps can be installed to any drive, either microSD or any external drive. Some won't offer a choice, though those are in the minority.

The main considerations are that the SSD will be faster (faster than the hard drive in the dock, and much faster than the microSD which is limited to USB 2 speeds), though for a lot of applications this doesn't matter. But it has the advantage of still being available in tablet mode.

Google Music insisted on installing on the primary drive, but I also use VLC and Media Player Classic which installed fine to microSD, along with most of my other applications. I've installed various games and programming IDEs to an external hard drive (I have the version that has a hard drive in the keyboard, but it's effectively the same thing as an external USB drive).

In practice, it's music and video that take up most the space, so installing those elsewhere makes sense. But space on the primary drive with the 32GB edition is rather tight, so I'd say it's worthwhile installing to another drive where possible.

I'm not sure it's possible to intall Windows Store apps elsewhere though.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Let me phrase my comment a little differently. "Installing" any program to removable storage, assuming you were able to do it, is foolhardy. With that said, there are some "portable" apps that can do that safely. It needs to be described as a portable app.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranfurly View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased the Asus T100 34gb as me and my girlfriend are going travelling and wanted a small light tablet/notebook. We are going to want to store films, music, photo's etc. that we take along the way - I know very little about this and am looking at getting either a 64gb Micro SD card or a 500gb portable hard drive!? Would they both do the same job!? I understand the 500gb would store more but if needed would both the Micro SD and portable hard drive store apps or downloads such as iTunes, picasa, Skype, eBay etc...

Any advice would be much appreciated!?

Thanks
    34GB? Do you mean the 32GB or 64GB model? Personally I would install apps to the main (built-in) drive and store videos, pictures and music to micro sd card. I'm a minimalist when traveling so it's much easier to carry micro sd cards (using this) than a 500GB hard drive (along with data cables and power supply). Since you didn't mention if the external HDD is an SSD drive (expensive option), I'm going to assume you're referring to the traditional platter drives which is a bit risky (i.e. damage via shock/vibrations). Also, I'd install a file archiver utility such as 7zip to compress any photos you don't need instant access to save on disk space.
    rscheller likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    34GB? Do you mean the 32GB or 64GB model? Personally I would install apps to the main (built-in) drive and store videos, pictures and music to micro sd card. I'm a minimalist when traveling so it's much easier to carry micro sd cards (using this) than a 500GB hard drive (along with data cables and power supply).
    That's good advice and also what many of us do...

The 500GB drive here is very compact, so bringing it along if needed isn't a big deal...but it's most used for the T100 backup.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Depending on where you go and if you have internet access. Another minimalist suggestion but a bit more on the techy side.

Purchase a home router that supports Cloud USB storage. Something like the Asus RT-N66U or RT-AC66U. I purchased an Asus RT-N66U and you just need to go into the router settings, turn on "AI Cloud" and then plug a USB HDD to the router. Then wherever you have internet access, you can copy files to and from the connected HDD. You can even access that same HDD with your cell phone

No need to worry about wires, breaking or losing SD cards or a HDD.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 06-08-2014 at 09:22 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Depending on where you go and if you have internet access. Another minimalist suggestion but a bit more on the techy side.

Purchase a home router that supports Cloud USB storage. Something like the Asus RT-N66U or RT-AC66U. I purchased an Asus RT-N66U and you just need to go into the router settings, turn on "AI Cloud" and then plug a USB HDD to the router. Then wherever you have internet access, you can copy files to and from the connected HDD. You can even access that same HDD with your cell phone

No need to worry about wires, breaking or losing SD cards or a HDD.
    Interesting idea.

Of course people can get Dropbox cloud service for free with the same kinds of benefits...but it is indeed a viable alternative. Nice idea.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Interesting idea.

Of course people can get Dropbox cloud service for free with the same kinds of benefits...but it is indeed a viable alternative. Nice idea.
    Yeah, I'm really starting to dig the Cloud based solution that the Asus router has provided me. Unlike the drop box and other solutions, the part that really attracted me, is that there is no upload/download file size restrictions, and no account storage size limitation. For example, I currently have a 1TB and 2TB HDD connected to the router which gives me a total of 3TB of storage through any web connection and as I said, no file size limit. Most of the Cloud based storage providers will limit your file upload size and all of them limit your total storage size. I believe Drop box is up to a 10GB account limit, then you need to start paying a monthly fee for more storage. 10GB is "convenient", like having an extra flash stick laying around but we all know we eat those sizes like candy when we start using them for music and video file storage. Essentially, the Asus AiCloud is a lot like the Drop Box solutions, with none of the negative sides of those solutions.

When I'm connected to my home network, I can Map the drives with drive letter assignments. Currently, my music collection takes up over 200GBs of storage size and I have another 200GBs of family photos and videos. When using my T100, and trying to use it in a minimalist tablet only config with no ext HDDs connected, this becomes a problem since I don't have multiple 256GB+ micro SD cards available. No problem here, my 200 Gigs of music files and 200GB of family photos/videos reside on the larger HDD drives connected to the router. I can stream music, video and photo files using the T100 with no problem from anywhere in the vicinity of my router.

Then when I'm not connected to my home network, I can still access all those files by just launching my web browser and typing in the web address name that I configured in the router. So I can still upload, download and stream from those HDDs connected to my router at home, when I'm on the road. It's very similar to Apple's iCloud....with no size limits.

In fact, if you look at the Asus Web interface to gain access to the router connected drives......it looks strikingly similar.

Asus AiCloud web login

Apple iCloud web login

The part I'm currently working on trying to figure out how to configure, is being able to Map those HDDs to a drive letter when I'm not connected to my home network. I read that's it's possible, but it's turned off by default for security purposes and I need to just spend some time on learning how to turn it on and configure. What I'm trying to do, is be able to put all my backed up emails which resides in an Outlook .PST file, which is currently 7GB in size and then have Outlook configured to look at those cloud based HDDs connected to my router. That way, no matter which PC I'm using, and no matter where I'm at, as long as I have web access, my archived email is always in sync and I have access to all my saved emails.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 06-10-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Only issue with router based storage is performance is pretty bad compared to a NAS or file server. That and routers already have lots of vulnerabilities and router attached storage, especially shared over the WAN port (IE to the internet) tends to be horribly insecure (and Asus has had lots of issues with this. To be fair, so have a lot of the other router manufacturers).

Personally I would not share anything from a router to the outside world. If I was going to do that I'd setup port forwarding and have access control managed on the NAS/File Server, possibly putting the NAS/File Server in a DMZ if I really wanted extra security.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links