Thread: Storage for ASUS T100 Transformer Book

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I totally agree about the poor performance of storage attached to a router. My NAS is accessible from the outside but I need to go through a third party portal with the proper credentials to be able to access it. That also effects the performance, (some), but is more secure. My NAS is a QNAP and the outside access is a part of the deal. (free).

I had external storage on my high end router, once upon a time. It was awful.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    If someone is tech savvy enough and wants to break into something that is accessible through a network, then there isn't much that is going to stop them no matter what security measures you try to go through. If there's a will, there's a way. I actually feel a tad more secure having my stuff located on my own personal storage devices rather than placed on an Apple, drop box server, or going through some 3rd party portal. Even if those servers/services are protected from intruder break ins there's always a vulnerability, and it only takes 1 employee with administrative privileges to decide they want to gain access to my stuff. As long as those things make you feel secure, that's all that matters.

I keep backups of all my data on external HDDs. So if anyone really wants to gain access to my music collection, family videos and photos that are connected to my router HDDs, I say have at it and enjoy. I refuse to live my life where I place a higher priority on paranoia of the unknown, over convenience.

Heck, I even watch TV and go outside without wearing a protective tinfoil hat.
    I guess you can say, I just like to live on the edge.

P.S. On this same topic. Why does this forum forbid me from going through a VPN connection? Are they trying to gain access to something without my knowledge? Maybe I should stop posting on this forum, because it will make me feel more secure huh?
    Last edited by Rednroll; 06-10-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Yes, true, to an extent.

However, would you necessarily leave your front door wide open all the time, or would you take basic precautions to keep someone from walking in to your house?

I am glad you keep good backups and nothing sensitive or important is kept on the drive.

Me personally, I keep all my data in one places as that is much more convenient and as such I take resonable and necessary precautions to make it difficult to access the stuff.

As for difficulty, in most cases router exploits are script kiddie level of exploitable and able to be done en mass. It isn't simply someone deciding to target just you. Honestly third party cloud storage companies are probably more secure. That said, I rarely use those either except for sharing stuff with other people.

For me its more of a performance issue though. Router based storage just is terrible on the performance end of things.
    ASUSFAN0001 and leeshor like this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    For me its more of a performance issue though. Router based storage just is terrible on the performance end of things.
    Not all routers are created equal on their NAS performance, just like not all dedicated NAS/Fileservers are created equal, so it really depends on where your reference point is when you start lumping all routers into the same category for their NAS performance. That's kind of like saying the T100 with it's Atom processors is slow and unusable based upon your previous usage experience with a Tablet/Netbook with an Atom Pineview single core processor. Like all things, performance comes at a price and then that price gets added to your decision based upon what you need and can afford to spend. I'm sure there are some that would say I only drive Ferrari's to get to work and would never drive a Ford Focus based on the performance difference. However, Ferrari also makes Fiat cars where in many instances the Ford Focus has better performance than those Ferrari's.

Router Based HDD NAS performances

Quote Originally Posted by Cnet
    Despite the fact that the RT-N66U doesn't support USB 3.0, its network storage performance was also very impressive, with 132Mbps for writing and 88Mbps for reading over a Gigabit Ethernet connection. These speeds are fast enough for light media streaming and data sharing. The only router that was faster than the RT-N66U in this category is the Linksys E4200v2 from Cisco, which has fewer features than what the RT-N66U has to offer.
    The OP was asking about media storage solutions to back up music, films and photos they took while on a vacation trip. That's a good use for a router based HDD and keeps things very light while traveling which is also important.....but I guess I should have put a disclaimer with that suggestion.

BEWARE, SOMEONE MIGHT HACK INTO YOUR NETWORK AND GAIN ACCESS TO YOUR NETWORK HDD AND STEAL A PHOTO OF YOU AND YOUR GIRLFRIEND STANDING NEXT TO MICKEY MOUSE AT DISNEYLAND......WATCH OUT!!! SECURITY BREACH!!! YOUR LIFE HAS NOW BEEN COMPROMISED!!!

Be careful with those suggested Micro SD cards as well. Someone, might see you carrying that camera bag, also containing those SD cards and heist it off your shoulder and steal all those photos and movies on those as well. Wear your tinfoil cap, that deters thieves.

Yes, true, to an extent.

However, would you necessarily leave your front door wide open all the time, or would you take basic precautions to keep someone from walking in to your house?
    Please post a picture of my family for me on this forum, since the door is wide open like you say. That door is wide open like you say, and I'm now inviting you in, so you can prove your point. I'll even leave my tinfoil cap off, so I don't introduce any additional security and make things more difficult and you already have an advantage because this site doesn't allow me to use my VPN, so you have my real IP Address as well. Have fun.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 06-10-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Hmmmm??? Look at that....it seems my router based storage solution outperforms some of those NAS/Fileservers at a much lower price point.

NAS Charts - File Copy Write Performance - SmallNetBuilder

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Hmmmm??? Look at that....it seems my router based storage solution outperforms some of those NAS/Fileservers at a much lower price point.

NAS Charts - File Copy Write Performance - SmallNetBuilder
    No. No it doesn't.

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed - Features-more, Routing Perf, Storage Perf - SmallNetBuilder

I think you are confusing MB/sec, which the Smallnetbuilder chart is using on the NAS performance table with Mbps which Cnet used in their article. The Dark Knight has terrible storage performance compared to even the cheapest NAS there. There are a very small number of routers that can beat even the lowest level of NAS there. Even the small number of routers that perform better than the worst NAS also sometimes also have other issues, like multiple concurrent user sessions aren't possible, disappearing off the network, etc. Router based storage is generally good for things like needing to quick share some files with someone when wireless transfer is the only method of sharing, so you just plug a thumb drive in to the router to quick share some files.

And pardon me for pointing out the fact that one method of storing your information is likely to be significantly more vulnerable than another method or that router based storage is generally very low performance in comparison to even a cheap NAS (oh, which I think every NAS made in the last 8 years has a USB port on it that you can attach a portable HDD to if you want to share it's storage...but at a much higher performance level). That might actually matter to someone. Its called informed consent. Usually people like having as much information presented to them as they can and then make a decision, instead of making decisions based on limited information.

You are also pushing Rule #3 on the code of conduct on the site (IE being courteous).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I would get an SD card for convenience but you could also get a portable drive. I take a LOT of stuff with me when I travel, now on a 1.5TB portable. The SD card would mean you don't have to keep the cord and the portable connected all the time -- not graceful for a tablet. Copy to the SD card what you want and the rest is still available to you if you connect

If you will have good wifi, you can upload to the ASUS cloud (you got some space on it for free, right?) or Microsoft's OneDrive. I find OneDrive very handy for use with a Microsoft 8.1 tablet and quite usable with an Android one. We have all our ebooks on the default amount of OneDrive as well as some notes in OneNote.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    50GB I think is what Asus provides. I don't recall if it is lifetime or if it is a 2 year deal on it. I don't personally use their cloud storage. I do use OneDrive or Dropbox for storage sometimes when sharing things like family photos and stuff.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    You are also pushing Rule #3 on the code of conduct on the site (IE being courteous).
    3. Personal attacks (Flaming, Name Calling) on others will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
    Sorry if you felt disrespected, since that's the only part of Rule #3 that could be a judgement, being called into question. I tend to also take objection when people focus their attention on criticizing a suggestion without taking the time to also include supporting information outside of their opinion, since I view that as engaging in rude behavior. Like you stated it's called informed consent, of having as much information presented outside of personal opinion and experience with no reference point supporting that information. It's a much better approach in attempting to maintain harmony by posting a suggestion of your own, rather than focusing on criticizing someone elses. So, I believe we both could use some improvement in our communications to make a more conscious effort towards not disrespecting others.

My router suggestion is able to stream my 200GBs of music files for hours without interruption as well as light video streaming and in those events that streaming video seems to stutter, downloading those files locally doesn't tend to take a lot of time. So it really is personal opinion and personal use cases that hairs seem to be being split over.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 06-11-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    I beg to differ on that, but that is more for an offline discussion.

As for the router performance, sure its fine for you. Might be fine for the OP too. Its great to share your own experiences. I am simply sharing my own as well as some facts to, like router performance is rarely in the same ballpark as NAS or file server performance or that security is typically not as good. Those might not matter depending on each person's needs/wants/budget. They also might.

A civic is not an F150 is not a Ferrari F430.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links