Thread: 32G vs. 64G free disk space

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times

32G vs. 64G free disk space

I might be in the market for an ASUS Transformer soon and wonder about the disk space available on each of these units after the OS and Office are installed?

A PC review site says for the 64G version: "Only 31G of free space on SSD"
    If we start with 64G and subtract 31 free we are left with 33G for OS/backup + Office correct?

Then how does the 32G get by? This would mean OS/backup + Office take up all space and nothing is left!

I'm a bit puzzled by this.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Two things, formated capacity is a bit less than the advertised capacity... about 93.13% and Windows 8 uses a bit more space when there's enough free...

OneDrive (formerly called SkyDrive) for example will keep a sync folder on local drive with the 64GB but that feature is disabled by default for the 32GB... among other similar examples where Windows 8 configuration will take advantage if there's enough free minimal space...

The 32GB model also isn't quite just 32GB as it has a secondary 8GB drive that's set to as read only and contains the main recovery partition, but on the 64GB model that resides on the same drive and thus reduces the total free space...

Standard Install for Windows 8 is actually around 12GB, not counting the recovery partition, and even with Office you will usually still have nearly half of the 32GB drive free but updates can eat up a few more GB, though much of that can be reclaimed... check the free space topics for the multiple tricks of maximizing free space...

Recovery partition can also be moved to a USB drive, which then lets you delete the partition on the 64GB for at least 8GB more free space...

While, if you can manage to do a fresh install of the newest Windows 8.1 Update 1, the install size can be a few GB smaller (you won't get that by simply updating)... or you can try the new WIMBoot feature and do away with the recovery partition and put most of the install, including Office, into a around 3GB WIM file for a very slight hit on overhead but plenty of free space... Fairly complicated process though...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm using the 32gb model and i have 13gb left with office without disabling the hibernate feature which u can free up 1.5gb to 2gb more.

Sent from my C6502 using Tapatalk

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post

The 32GB model also isn't quite just 32GB as it has a secondary 8GB drive that's set to as read only and contains the main recovery partition, but on the 64GB model that resides on the same drive and thus reduces the total free space...

Ahh... I see. Thanks Zeo. This is quite a key difference between the two.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    Just my opinion but I think you will be better off with the 64GB model. Add a 64 GB or 128 GB micro SD card and you are set.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    Just my opinion but I think you will be better off with the 64GB model. Add a 64 GB or 128 GB micro SD card and you are set.
    Agreed, I picked up the 64 Gig for $349 (same price my sister paid for her 32). I added a 32 Gig SD mounted but it had "an incident" (totally my fault) so I have a 64 on the way. And I have 30 Gig on the Cloud with MS One Drive. My main reason for getting a 2 in 1 Tablet was to move away from Hard Drive Storage.

FYI, My 64 Gig has Office 2013 Pro installed and the 8 Gig Recovery Partition intact and about 3 Gigs of misc files added, this leaves it with 20 Gigs free.
    Last edited by Jerkyking; 05-27-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add more info
    Swipe and rscheller like this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Let's try to simplify things to what actually matters and to me what actually matters is 1st understanding how much "Capacity" on the C: drive do you really have on each model?

To be able to actually answer the OP's question it doesn't really matter, that the 32GB model is actually 32GB plus some other 8GB storage device you can't use. It doesn't really matter if you can free up space by turning hibernate off. It doesn't really matter if you can install a fresh most recent version of Windows to reduce the Windows footprint. It doesn't really matter that you can re-format the 64GB model and re-claim some space by getting the 8GB reserved partition. It doesn't really matter that you can buy an additional micro SD card to increase storage space. It doesn't really matter if advertised capacity is always less than actual capacity. It doesn't really matter if the 32GB model doesn't store local copies of One drive data and the 64GB does.

Don't get me wrong. These are ALL great pieces of useful information, helps explain why the OP's original math they were trying to do was wrong and a lot of you have now proven how smart you are by giving the OP some really useful tips....especially if the OP had been asking "I'm out of space, How can I free up or get more space on my current T100?" However, it still doesn't seem like he was able to get to the answer he was originally looking to get.

I have a 64GB model.

C: Drive Capacity= 49.1GB
    Current used space= 18.6GB
    Free Space= 30.4GB

You can see, my current 64GB system lines up with the review the OP mentions, showing you have about 31GB of free space. I have not installed any programs on my C: Drive. I have an additional 64GB micro SD card where I have installed all my programs. However, every program does store program specific setting information on the C: Drive, as well as apps all get installed on the C: drive and I have a few documents currently laying on my Desktop which are also occupying some of that C: drive potential free space and I've been a good boy installing all my Winows updates. Thus, the reason I'm slightly less than the 31GB of free space from the review the OP read. However, I'm in the same ballpark.

So the real question for me would be, how much Capacity do you really have on the 32GB model's C: drive? That would then allow us to figure out how much "Free Space" also known as "useable space" someone would actually have available if they had a 32GB model instead and that is what the OP is asking.

It's now a simple math problem that encompasses many variables but for some reason it seems everyone wants to answer the OP's question by making the math problem more complicated than it needs to be by discussing all the intricate pieces of the variables.

So a simple question looking for a simple response. Who has a T100 32GB model, that can tell us how much their C: drive capacity shows?
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-30-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    MarkMan likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    One difference between the 32 GB and 64 GB systems is that on the 32 GB the recovery partition is on a separate 8 GB ROM, while on the 64 GB it's on a partition of your main storage. So the 32 GB is really 32+8, where the 8 cannot be used for storing anything else but the recovery partition.

I too have a 32 GB system and have been getting along fine with a microsd card to hold bigger stuff (games and video files). Currently showing 7.5 GB free. Ofcourse, 32 GB is still only 32 GB, so I'd recommend the 64 GB system just for the ease of not having to be so careful with managing disk space. If you have the choice between the 32 GB and the 64 GB, I'd go for the bigger model. But, in my country I could only buy the 32 GB model and I definitely do not regret buying it.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Rednroll for your great reply!
    I agree that capacity is really the best way to answer my question.
    I hope someone will come forward soon with the capacity for the 32G model.

Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post

However, every program does store program specific setting information on the C: Drive, as well as apps all get installed on the C: drive and I have a few documents currently laying...
    I didn't follow the above line where you state that apps all get installed on the C: drive; this just after you said you installed all your apps on your 64G microSD card.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, there are possibility to substitute the 32 for 64 or more? Or the memory in on board?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links