Thread: 32G vs. 64G free disk space

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    I did some research on the T100. It seems the T100 uses a SanDisk SEM32G or SEM64G eMMC. It seems to be an MLC "iNand". SanDisk offers this device in an "MCP" package which has onboard DRAM in addition to the Flash memory. So without knowing more specifics about the T100, Asus could be using the eMMC's onboard DRAM to write the constantly changing page writes and variable storage as I previously described to reduce the number of writes to the eMMC flash.

Hey there,

Just bought an Me400c and it has the sem64g .

Was just wondering if you can perform optimisation (trim ) on these as I've looked everywhere for a yes or no answer..
    I cannot use the optimisation in windows 8 or 8.1 at all and was beggining to think somethings wrong?
    Or the sem'xx'g eMMC's just dont support it at all .
    If they don't is my device doomed ? Is there any special measures I should take or shall I just use it and abuse it till it just fails lol
    cheers hopefully 😅

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Memory issues

Hello I think I have messed up with my T100 (32 gb)

1) I Installed (and after disinstalled) dropbox.

2) Now my c: has only like 1 gb free

3) the archives seem to have been disappeared but I don't have my space bring back

4) My daughters have a profile each one at the T100.

5) I don't want to reset my T100 cause my daughters play My Little Pony I and think this would erase her advancements.

Any suggestion?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Or you can look at it as 3x the free capacity for $50.

The eMMC is significantly faster than the microSD card slot, so even if you use symlinks to install to the microSD card slot, programs are going to be a lot slower to load than if you loaded the program to the internal memory. Unless money is really, really tight, the 64GB version is almost deffinitely a much better bet unless you think you'll only have a very small number of small program to install on your tablet.

Also of importance, the more the eMMC is utilized, the less endurance it'll have and also the slower it'll work. Fill it up and it'll die much faster and write speeds will drop exponentially. Flash memory only has a certain number of write cycles and things like log files and page file are written to it all the time, so even if you are not loading and deleting lots of stuff off the internal storage, just regular usage and put a couple of GBs of writes per day on the memory. Considering the type of memory, it probably only has a write endurance in the 400-1,000 write cycle range before it starts losing pages and stuff.

Figure with modest free space maintained (5GB or so) you might be looking at 2-3 years of moderate to heavy usage before you might start seeing disk endurance issues. Keep only 1-2GB free and probably more like months to a year or two before you may encounter issues. Keep 10GB free and it might take 5-7 years before you see issues.

Just one more reason to go for the higher capacity one. Really, IMHO the 32GB should only be used for very casual users or those who are primarily going to be doing things like facebook, web surfing, email and video/music (with that mostly loaded on a microSD card).
    Depending on the tech, eMMC likely uses MLC NAND and likely with 3000-5000 P/E cycles *MINIMUM*. The value they publish is bare minimum before one should expect *ONE* cell to fail. From testing most NAND lives at least twice the published numbers before cells start failing and affecting performance. There is also wear leveling that will ensure nearly same wear across all cells, even if it is near full usually, 32GB will last a LONG time.

If you assume a Write Amplification (WA) of 2, reasonable wear leveling, writing 2GB/day with WA = 2 would be 4GB/day. 32GB/4GB = 8 days for 1 full P/E cycle. (3000 P/E) * (8 days/1 P/E) = 24000 days = 65 years! With such a device, writing 2GB per day is a LOT, even with page file. Heck even if you wrote 8GB/day with 1500 P/E cycles with WA of 2 would be 8 years. Little worry, because these are more or less disposable devices that will likely be replaced in a couple years by most users.
    Last edited by HTWingNut; 08-23-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Screenshot (2).png

This is my 64G T100 BEFORE installing anything, so 8 GB is recovery, where are 23 more GB?
    This is so frustrating... ):

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    You mean 16.1, right? 49.3 is what the total capacity is once you take out the 8GB for recovery and ~900MB for the restore and UEFI partitions.

Lets also keep in mind GB to GiB conversion. GB is billions of bytes, which is what diskspace, RAM, etc are always measured in by manufacturers. However, by general agreement, capacity is measured in GiB by the OS. GiB is base 2 Gigabyte. 1024 Bytes in a Kilobyte (2^10), 1024 Kilobytes in a Megabyte, 1024 Megabytes in a Gigabyte. That turns 64GB in to 59.6GiB when displayed in your OS. Of that 59.6GiB, you lose ~9GiB for recovery, restore and UEFI. There might also be a small amount of it taken up by spare area. Don't know if the 64GB are truely 64GB, or if a small amount is eaten by spare flash area or not...but there is a ~1GiB descrepancy between OS formatted area, what is taken up by the restore/recovery/UEFI partitions and what the OS does display as free space.

Then you have ~16GiB eaten up by the windows installation, page file and hibernation file. The last one takes up 2GB (as that is your RAM capacity). The page file is variable by default (IIRC), but is generally in the 1-2GiB range leaving around 12-13GiB eaten by windows installation, oh and the Office 2013 installer, which I think is 1-2GiB as well.

That leaves you with ~33GiB of free space.
    Swipe likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links