Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Just bought a T100 and I have some questions

Hello,

Im sorry if some of these questions have already been asked. And I guess most of the questions are revolving around Windows 8.1, not directly around the tablet itself.
    Anyway, here it goes.

Is it possible to charge through the USB3 port in the dock?
    Is it possible to attach hardware to the microUSB port, or is this just for charging? Im thinking about mobile internet devices which could be attached via usb.

I'm a bit paranoid, specifically about built in cameras and microphones ... I know the camera has a light which goes on when the camera is on, but is this always safe? Isn't there a away to start camera without the light going on? And how can I make sure the microphone is not on?

Since a couple of years I only use Linux, and Win7 only for games. This one has avast on it. Do I need some antivirus software for the tablet? I know it has the security essentials, but is this also protecting from flash viruses? (Linux was never in danger from this). Or would a third party antivirus software drain the battery?

I think thats it for now
    Thx.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arp View Post
    Is it possible to charge through the USB3 port in the dock?
    No, just the microUSB port...

Is it possible to attach hardware to the microUSB port, or is this just for charging?
    Yes, just get a OTG cable...

I'm a bit paranoid, specifically about built in cameras and microphones ... I know the camera has a light which goes on when the camera is on, but is this always safe? Isn't there a away to start camera without the light going on? And how can I make sure the microphone is not on?
    Depends, on how sophisticated the camera is... a basic cam, the light basically just indicates it has power but the more advance cams with extra features, settings, etc. means it's possible to hack... This can range from needing to alter the firmware to simply changing a registry key... But it usually takes a pretty advance attack and unless a very good hacker is specifically targeting you then you generally don't have to worry... But this is why some companies have taken to installing webcam covers to make sure but you can always tape over the cam if you're worried...

The mics are more of a problem, but you can disable it unless you need to use it... and you can generally not give any permission for remote desktop, etc. to limit ways anyone could try... but, unless you need to use Skype or something similar then that's usually easy enough to avoid...

Since a couple of years I only use Linux, and Win7 only for games. This one has avast on it. Do I need some antivirus software for the tablet? I know it has the security essentials, but is this also protecting from flash viruses? (Linux was never in danger from this). Or would a third party antivirus software drain the battery?
    Linux isn't immune from malware, it just has pretty good basic security but browser vulnerabilities are usually cross platform and if you get tricked into giving something permission then malware can be installed on any system... Linux also has its share of vulnerabilities and ways to escalate permission even if it starts out with minimal access...

A recent study for mobile devices indicates Android, which uses the Linux Kernel, has 99% of all mobile malware targeted for it... But even Apple's OSX and iOS has to deal with malware... and since Linux dominates the Server market, most of the server hacks that you may hear about in the news is Linux systems being hacked...

But Linux users still represent a small fraction of all general PC users and Windows still represents over 80%... So most malware simply targets Windows users but even then most malware is installed by tricking the user rather through system vulnerability exploits...

So how you use the system, what sites you visit, and how careful you are all determine how much protection you actually need... The W8 has better default security than previous Windows... It's not perfect, nothing ever could be, but if you're worried then you can try using another professional AV... it's actually good to switch around sometimes because malware makers tend to optimize their attacks to whatever is the most used AV... So don't necessarily just go with what is the presently best rated...

While, even avoiding infection doesn't mean you necessarily avoid being a carrier of malware that can be triggered later or transferred to a less secure system that yours connects to at some point...

So, basically, using a Linux distro is like driving a car that you know no one would normally want to steal and has a combination lock in addition to the key... The combination usually means you don't have to worry but that's different from someone determined deciding to steal the car anyway... There's always a way and nothing is foolproof!

As for suggestions, there's multiple to choose from but I'd avoid McAfee...

LjL
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Keep in mind that if you consider Linux more secure, there is not much stopping you from using it on your T100. There are some things that don't quite work correctly yet, the biggest ones in my opinion being wifi (works, but erratically) and backlight control, and the person who was most active trying to get things working isn't so active anymore, but... you can get Ubuntu to boot and run reasonably well, and hopefully it'll only get better.

Ubuntu (or other Linux) on the Asus Transformer Book T100 | JfwHome is the state of affairs.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Disable the camera/mic in Device Manager. Job done. But don't uninstall as it will re-install itself and enable.

Built in Windows security is fine; no need to install anything else (other than Adblock Plus). IMHO of course!
    Rednroll likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    I'll disagree on the Windows security. It falls to the bottom in most anti-virus testing.

For free, I would go with AVG or Avast plus the free version of Malwarebytes. For paid, I use Norton Internet Security plus paid version of Malwarebytes. Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Eset are also excellent for paid anti-virus.

The Best Antivirus for 2014 | PCMag.com PC Magazine's test of AV programs.

AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Win XP, 7 & 8.1: Internet Security Suites Complete an Endurance Test Lasting 6 Months reliable independent AV testing service

"Although the table shows that the basic protection from Windows is better than nothing, the use of an external protection solution is actually a must, all things considered. This conclusion can also be explained in terms of numbers: from a maximum possible total of 18 points, Internet Security from Kaspersky Lab scored a 17.8 points overall, enabling it to achieve first place. In comparison, the basic protection from Windows was only able to achieve 10.3 points, coming in at 17th place."
    janner43 likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    ^^^
    Good post, boxner1

I have always found the information from AV Test to be excellent - the summary conclusion from the report linked by boxner1, above, reads...

Summary: Good Protection Packages for Windows
    The comparison of the products only factors in the protection packages that completed all 6 months of the test between September 2013 and February 2014. The top products in the overall results table are the suites from Kaspersky Lab and Bitdefender with 17.8 and 17.5 of a maximum possible total of 18 points respectively.

With its overall score of 16.3 points, the purchaseable version of the Avira software was able to achieve third place ahead of G Data, which scored a total of 16.2 points, despite the fact that G Data offers a much better detection rate.

Although Trend Micro and F-Secure performed strongly in the Protection category, achieving the maximum total of 6 points, both programs have a severe impact on the day-to-day use of Windows systems in terms of system load.

The basic protection from Microsoft, namely Windows Defender or Security Essentials, combined with the Windows Firewall, is an insecure option. Its result in the test category of Protection is simply too poor.

22 of the 24 packages involved in the test were awarded the AV-TEST certificate for tested security. The product from AhnLab, on the other hand, failed to achieve a certificate due to its insufficient performance in the Protection category. The Microsoft results were only recorded for comparison and were therefore not included in the certification process.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    Just wanted to give a little warning here, as I suspect my recent battery drain issue during sleep was caused by disabling microphone and/or camera via Device Manager.

I've since resolved this battery drain by disabling the microphone instead via 'Recording Devices'. Probably not as secure, but better than nothing. Not sure how to disable the camera yet, but I guess tape/similar will work!

Quote Originally Posted by ihartley View Post
    Disable the camera/mic in Device Manager. Job done. But don't uninstall as it will re-install itself and enable.

Built in Windows security is fine; no need to install anything else (other than Adblock Plus). IMHO of course!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Since Avtest don't seem to produce a list of which of those companies PAY to have their software tested, it's difficult to judge the results as "independent". I agree there is better software than MS's - I have used Kaspersky & AVG in the past (and tried hard to uninstall Norton!!). I would still argue that AV software should not be the FIRST line of defence but the LAST. i.e. Firewall (router/PC), not installing random software, not opening email attachments from strangers, good password management etc. should be the main defence.
    azazel1024 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ihartley View Post
    Since Avtest don't seem to produce a list of which of those companies PAY to have their software tested, it's difficult to judge the results as "independent". I agree there is better software than MS's - I have used Kaspersky & AVG in the past (and tried hard to uninstall Norton!!). I would still argue that AV software should not be the FIRST line of defence but the LAST. i.e. Firewall (router/PC), not installing random software, not opening email attachments from strangers, good password management etc. should be the main defence.
    I'd agree with that whole heartedly.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links