Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Probably buying in next week, quick questions

  1. #1
    Soundwave
    Member #
    8269
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    14
    Liked
    1 times

    Probably buying in next week, quick questions

    I'm currently reading through the forum backwards & up to page 12 - but I'm hoping I can get some quick questions answered.

    Currently using a cheaper Win7 laptop at home (stays put) and a TF101 for android games, Netflix, web browsing... and for the kids. The TF101 will likely be going to my oldest one, and I'm thinking of replacing my Win7 laptop & the 101 with the Book.

    For my needs, the 64 gig model is where I'm going (with a 64 gig sd for pix/music), I don't need the 500 gig keyboard.

    On to the questions:

    - Should I bother with store's protection plans? Anyone had to go to Asus for help yet? I'm going to presume if I make it a year (Asus covered) and hopefully last 1 year with no protection, I'm good buying a replacement at this price. I've also read something about extending the warranty on Asus's site, but can't find more info.

    - 2 gigs ram is the only thing concerning me. I'd gladly spend extra $ for a 4 gig model, but reading about a possible new release & I'm not seeing anything about increased ram.

    - Out of curiosity, what's the boot up time?

    - Among the primary things I do is play MTG Online. The requirements for that game are a bit steep, but the idea of playing on a touch-screen is very appealing. Anyone happen to be playing this game on the TF Book?

    - Dropbox. I normally use it in limited amounts (under 2 gigs) to transfer files between work & the laptop. I'm not worried about space - but worried about the slight memory hit. Any known problems?

    - From what I've read, standard practice is to use during the day, and charge at night (like my phone). But what do I do during the day when not in use...? Leave on with lid closed? Suspend? Sleep? Hibernate? The laptop I've always left on (just screen-lock) w/lid down. New territory for me.

    - I used to use something like a Help Strap Pro to avoid wrist fatigue. Anyone using something similar they can recommend?

    Think that's it for the moment - thanks for any help! (loving the tip thread, btw)

  2. #2
    Jazz
    Member #
    63285
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Posts
    62
    Liked
    8 times
    I can offer some feedback on some of these.

    - Out of curiosity, what's the boot up time?
    Connected standby helps here with instant-on, but when I do bot from a cold startup it's never more than 20-30 seconds, probably less. Ironically, restoring from real hibernation takes a little longer, but it's very tolerable

    -Dropbox
    I have switched to Bitorrent Sync, and it works well on my T100. Dropbox was an absolute CPU pig, but I have not used it in a while so it might be better.

    -what do I do during the day when not in use...?
    That depends on your usage behavior. Just leaving the lid closed invokes connected standby. This option will use a litle bit of battery, about 5-10%/day when all is working as it should. However, some people have had battery drain issues. I had them as well but one of the latest BIOS updates seems to have finally nailed it for me. You can hibernate the machine, although there is debate on whether or not this is a good practice. I have found that maybe 1 out of 8 times it will require a hard reboot because it cannot come back from hibernation. Connected standby is supposed to make hibernation unnecessary, but my battery drain issues got me into the habit of doing it anyway.

    BTW, if you're able to order from Staples, they got a good deal on the 64GB version now. See my other post.

  3. #3
    Ratchet
    Member #
    63276
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    195
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    - Should I bother with store's protection plans? Anyone had to go to Asus for help yet? I'm going to presume if I make it a year (Asus covered) and hopefully last 1 year with no protection, I'm good buying a replacement at this price. I've also read something about extending the warranty on Asus's site, but can't find more info.
    Some store extended warranties are better than others. The best reviewed plan I've seen for customer satisfaction is Square Trade. You should be able to buy an extended warranty from them even if you buy your T100 at a brick and mortar store that doesn't offer it. I wouldn't spend more than $50-60 on something like this though. Personally paying $150+ or something for an accidental damage and "everything" warranty is overkill for a $349-379 device.

    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    - 2 gigs ram is the only thing concerning me. I'd gladly spend extra $ for a 4 gig model, but reading about a possible new release & I'm not seeing anything about increased ram.
    I wouldn't worry about this at all. I've had mine for 6 months now and lack of RAM has yet to be an issue. Windows 8.1 is very efficient at managing memory. Unless you are planning on doing something extraordinarily demanding like video editing or running Photoshop filters with three browsers open at the same time, you will have no trouble. The performance of the T100 is really quite good over all for what it is. It absolutely crushes any of the previous Asus netbooks and rivals even mid range full-size laptops from just a few years ago. For surfing the net, streaming movies, watching downloaded movies, using Office, playing some light games, it's perfect and pretty snappy actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    - Out of curiosity, what's the boot up time?
    I only reboot mine once every 2 weeks or so if that, but hang on a sec and I'll time a cold reboot for ya....

    Ok, it took my T100 13.9 seconds to boot up from being completely shut down to the log-in screen. Type in my PIN and the desktop and apps appear and are ready to use immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    - Among the primary things I do is play MTG Online. The requirements for that game are a bit steep, but the idea of playing on a touch-screen is very appealing. Anyone happen to be playing this game on the TF Book?
    I don't play MTG, but looking at the requirements here: Magic Online III FAQ : Wizards of the Coast

    I don't see why the T100 wouldn't be able to play that game.

    Check these threads for more about gaming on the T100, I'm not much of a gamer, but all the videos I've seen of gameplay on the T100 seemed pretty impressive to me.

    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...book-t100.html

    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ames-t100.html


    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    - Dropbox. I normally use it in limited amounts (under 2 gigs) to transfer files between work & the laptop. I'm not worried about space - but worried about the slight memory hit. Any known problems?
    Not that I'm aware of, but I use Microsoft OneDrive, which is a similar service and I have no problems at all. It syncs with my Windows Phone and works great with my Mac too.

    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    - From what I've read, standard practice is to use during the day, and charge at night (like my phone). But what do I do during the day when not in use...? Leave on with lid closed? Suspend? Sleep? Hibernate? The laptop I've always left on (just screen-lock) w/lid down. New territory for me.
    I use mine just like I use any other laptop I've owned. Open when I'm using it, or detached in tablet mode. When I'm not going to use it for a while, I just close the lid and it goes to sleep and takes care of itself. There's been much ado about batteries on this forum, but my favorite advice as far as charging comes from Battery University which conducted lots of tests on how to make Li-ion batteries live long. Basically the key is to avoid extremes. Try not to run your T100 down to 5-10% and don't charge it to 100% and then continue using it plugged in for hours while it's already charged. You don't have to be OCD about it, but what I do is use it, put it to sleep, use it the next day and then when my battery drops anywhere below 50% or so I plug in and charge it. It gets VERY good battery like, 10-11 hours no problem, so I only need to charge mine perhaps once every three days at most. I'd say mine usually hovers between 30% and 90% most of the time. I would not recommend plugging it in to charge all night every night if you are concerned about the longevity of the battery. Better to get a second charger and keep it at work or in the T100's bag, like I do. When you're done using it for a while, shut down your apps and close the lid and let it sleep. When you notice battery is getting lower than you'd like it to be, then charge it for a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    - I used to use something like a Help Strap Pro to avoid wrist fatigue. Anyone using something similar they can recommend?
    I haven't really had an issue with wrist fatigue thankfully. The best advice I've heard on that is to try and type with your wrists as level and straight as possible. It's generally typing with your hands/wrist at an angle up or down that causes carpal tunnel problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    Think that's it for the moment - thanks for any help! (loving the tip thread, btw)
    Yup, this is a great forum! Welcome to the club!
    Last edited by SocialCarpet; 04-16-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: missed the question about gaming

  4. #4
    Jazz
    Member #
    65356
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    37
    Liked
    3 times
    One thing that I would like to add is with respect to memory:

    I'm always running an android VM via genymotion, a metro app called mysms (texting from phone application), modern internet explorer, and often the desktop program XBMC.
    Those four together with a few others will catch me at between 80-89% RAM use according to task manager.

    That being said, the transformer runs smoothly even at that point.
    Sometimes the touch scrolling is not as sensitive in that case, but it remains smooth; I believe it is the processor at that point because exiting clash of clans, for instance, makes the scrolling responsive again (outside of the VM).



    Cutting out the VM completely, it goes back to being extremely responsive.
    Last edited by cptscruffy; 04-16-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: grammar.

  5. #5
    Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    41525
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Posts
    981
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    - 2 gigs ram is the only thing concerning me. I'd gladly spend extra $ for a 4 gig model, but reading about a possible new release & I'm not seeing anything about increased ram.
    It's not yet known whether the updated model will offer more RAM, it might, but all that has been confirmed so far is that the updated model will be using a Z3775 and in Italy at least it's being released with the 500GB HDD in the keyboard dock... No word on US release, but we're already seeing price reductions for the older models and that usually precedes a new model release... So, we should see them soon but that may still be month away depending on Asus release schedule...

    2GB is actually pretty usable, especially with the new Windows 8.1 update that just came out improving on efficiency... But, if you really rather have 4GB, then you could go for one of the more premium models coming out from other companies...

    The upcoming Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 10 will offer up to 4GB of RAM and up to the new top end Z3795 SoC, with benefit of WACOM digitizer pen as well but starting costs are likely to be double the T100's...

    Dell is also coming with an update to their Venue Pro line that is stated to be one of the first to make the full switch to 64bit, which probably means they'll also offer up to 4GB of RAM too and you may find their 11.6" model a little more usable for productivity than the 10.1" T100... But it should similar cost quite a bit more than the T100...

    Personally, I'd make sure the model you do get at least has a USB 3.0 port... will come in handy for docking options and using high performance external drives, etc. and if you go for a smaller tablet then get one with a pen, if possible, as the desktop still doesn't scale well to small screens and high resolutions and simple capacitive stylus won't help enough...

    Alternatively, you can consider the reduced price models and save your money for the later updates... the present 64GB model can be found for $349, with the 500GB model taking the previous $399 spot... While the upcoming Cherry Trail update that will come out by the end of the year will provide a very big boost to graphical performance and a small boost to CPU performance... Or you can just wait till the end of the year for the Cherry Trail update... Up to you...

  6. #6
    Soundwave
    Member #
    8269
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    14
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the quick responses. I've been doing some checks on every store I can think - and if I want to pick it up locally my only choice is Tiger Direct (at a good price). Naturally the closest one is the only one of the 4 in the area that doesn't have it in stock, but it's not a bad drive..just the wrong directions

    Re: MTG. I meet the specs, but the game's front end is... well.. pretty bad. If it turns out to be unplayable, I'm likely to look into a return. Was hoping someone actually could give me real-life experience

    Glad to hear about boot time, but even better would just be closing the lid when not in use & plugging in at night only when needed. I've been leaving the laptop on the dining room table at all times, so packing up the T100 in a case when not in use & just taking out & opening up the lid (well, taking off the keyboard) & using immediately would be nice - then just snap keyboard on & close for the night. Will probably only do an overnight charge (regardless of where it's at) on Friday, since Saturday is my heavy not-near-outlet day.

    OH - anyone using Microsoft OneNote? (Does it still exist??) I remember wanting to use that waaaaaay back when Windows Tablets came out, but it never amounted to much back then. Need to look into it again.

    Re: The wrist fatigue. I wasn't thinking about typing. I was thinking about using the tablet (no keyboard) & sitting in a comphy chair. On my TF101, holding it up gets heavy after a few minutes. Also, on my Galaxy Note 3, I use a Flygrip & no case at all, so I'm thinking something similar to prevent accidental drops.
    garryknight likes this.

  7. #7
    Jazz
    Member #
    68057
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London, England
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    82
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    anyone using Microsoft OneNote?
    It's one of the main reasons I bought the T100. I'm currently enrolled in about 16 different online courses from Coursera, Udemy, edX, etc., and OneNote is the best app bar none, IMO, for taking lecture notes, making diagrams, overlaying text, shapes, etc, onto pictures, embedding sound and video, tables, and spreadhseets into my notes. I've got Evernote and Pocket for saving web pages, and OneNote for everything else. It's one thing that Microsoft got right. Together with the Android version on my phone and the free version on my PC, everything syncs everywhere and is up-to-date in seconds wherever I am.
    Swipe likes this.
    Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

  8. #8
    Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    41525
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Posts
    981
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    so packing up the T100 in a case when not in use & just taking out & opening up the lid (well, taking off the keyboard) & using immediately would be nice - then just snap keyboard on & close for the night. Will probably only do an overnight charge (regardless of where it's at) on Friday, since Saturday is my heavy not-near-outlet day.
    The T100 supports Connected Standby... basically, as long as that's working properly then you should be able to leave it in the CS suspend state for days to weeks at a time before needing to recharge.

    Only thing is CS doesn't always work as it should but the latest firmware update seems to have helped that issue... Good to test out right away in case you need to return your unit but if it passes the test then you should be good to go...

    It's just recommended to always disconnect the keyboard dock because it can cause a draining problem... especially, if you get the HDD model...

  9. #9
    LjL
    LjL is offline
    Jazz
    Member #
    67820
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    71
    Liked
    3 times
    Having only 2GB of RAM was a concern for me too (I was like... seriously? 2011's netbooks already had 2GB, and they could be SO slow... and in 2014, we STILL have 2GB?!), but in fact, it's been much less of a concern with Windows 8.1 than I thought it would be.

    It's usually good to plan ahead for more bloated software and OS releases coming up in the future, but somehow, it would appear that these days, the trend has almost reversed... Windows 8.1 Update caters to systems with less RAM, which are meant to be cheaper. So maybe 4GB will keep not being a big requirement...?

    You do need to charge the T100 during the night, generally, as it's really slow to charge. That's one small point against it - although I think you can get a 3A charger to charge it faster than the 2A one it comes with can.

    Keep in mind that unless you turn the T100 completely off (shutdown or hibernation), just putting it into standby will still consume a bit of battery - potentially more than older laptops, because while those only need to refresh RAM, now, with Connected Standby, other things like the wifi card are also kept on, albeit with extremely reduced power demands.
    If thing are working correctly, standby times are really quite good, although I do find boot times from hibernated state (not that "shutdown" is really a hibernation state by default in Windows 8.1) really short anyway. Keep in mind that the time spent in the UEFI is a lot shorter than many older computers' BIOS POST time.

  10. #10
    Soundwave
    Member #
    66851
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Melb, Australia
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    16
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by polstein View Post
    I'm currently reading through the forum backwards & up to page 12 - but I'm hoping I can get some quick questions answered.

    Currently using a cheaper Win7 laptop at home (stays put) and a TF101 for android games, Netflix, web browsing... and for the kids. The TF101 will likely be going to my oldest one, and I'm thinking of replacing my Win7 laptop & the 101 with the Book.

    For my needs, the 64 gig model is where I'm going (with a 64 gig sd for pix/music), I don't need the 500 gig keyboard.

    On to the questions:

    - Should I bother with store's protection plans? Anyone had to go to Asus for help yet? I'm going to presume if I make it a year (Asus covered) and hopefully last 1 year with no protection, I'm good buying a replacement at this price. I've also read something about extending the warranty on Asus's site, but can't find more info.

    - 2 gigs ram is the only thing concerning me. I'd gladly spend extra $ for a 4 gig model, but reading about a possible new release & I'm not seeing anything about increased ram.

    - Out of curiosity, what's the boot up time?

    - Among the primary things I do is play MTG Online. The requirements for that game are a bit steep, but the idea of playing on a touch-screen is very appealing. Anyone happen to be playing this game on the TF Book?

    - Dropbox. I normally use it in limited amounts (under 2 gigs) to transfer files between work & the laptop. I'm not worried about space - but worried about the slight memory hit. Any known problems?

    - From what I've read, standard practice is to use during the day, and charge at night (like my phone). But what do I do during the day when not in use...? Leave on with lid closed? Suspend? Sleep? Hibernate? The laptop I've always left on (just screen-lock) w/lid down. New territory for me.

    - I used to use something like a Help Strap Pro to avoid wrist fatigue. Anyone using something similar they can recommend?

    Think that's it for the moment - thanks for any help! (loving the tip thread, btw)
    All the points you have raised were the same concerns I had before buying my T100 but honestly I couldn't be happier

    The protection plan is up to you ive had no real issues with my t100 and im very careful with it around kids tho id be worried about any laptop

    The 2gb of ram is more then enough for everything the t100 was made to do while it is a very robust work horse with great performance it has been built to be a modern Netbook not a Pc replacement that being said its the only computer I have and it is fantastic for Tafe, Work and home.

    My suggestion is to swap over to OneDrive for me it was perfect my nokia, my xbox and my pc now all are able to view the same files and its very integrated

 

 
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Transformer Pad Infinity - TF700 - a few quick questions for new people
    By warwon in forum Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 (Tegra 3) General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM
  2. Newbie here with a couple quick questions
    By firedude52 in forum Transformer Pad 300 Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 04:11 PM
  3. New user - 2 quick questions on video
    By The_Tango in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Search tags for this page

asus t100 genomotion
,
asus t100 xbmc
,
changes to a document on onedrive won't save in asus infinity
,
genomotion
,

onedrive connected standby

,
power drain uart controller (\ sb.urt1) sleep asus
,
sb urt1
,
transformerforum z3795
,

z3775

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.