Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Multiple Issues? Power button, Shut down, Keyboard Mouse Tracking?

Hello.

I've had my T100TA for almost two months now. I bought it for my wife mostly but I do use it from time to time. There had been an issue with the power button that I haven't seen for a week or so, so I don't know if its some how been resolved. Holding the button to turn on, you would get the splash screen, then the loading circle, then it appeared to shut off. Pressing or holding the power button immediately after wouldn't do anything. After about 5 seconds or slightly more, you could then hold the power button and get a normal boot but, just before you get the lock screen it would flash/say Hibernate/Hibernating and proceed to the lock screen, very strange. Like I said I haven't seen that one in a little while, but I've found more issues.

While debating App suspend yesterday on a tech forum it seems as though some apps do not release their memory down to 0.1/0.2MB when closed and put into suspend mode. This may or may not be an issue with the Tab, although it seems to be when comparing to other PC's. While testing the apps issue, I inadvertently noticed my "Up Time" on the performance tab of Task Manager. Yesterday on first boot I noticed it said the up time was over a day. My wife and I never leave the Tab to hibernate or sleep, we always shut down. So I then shut it down, had to wait approximately 5 seconds again before the power button would allow to turn on the Tab and boot up. Again the up time was still running and had not reset. Rebooting did however reset the up time. So it seems shut down isn't working on the Tab and it appears to be going into Sleep/Hibernate when selecting Shut Down. I have 5 other PC's in the house all with 8.1 Pro and shut down does reset the up time as you would expect.

The keyboard mouse pad seems to take an extremely long time to recognize movement and in fact I get impatient and just left click to get it to start tracking.

Bios is 304 and I make sure all the drivers are the latest. I did a total factory reinstall (removing all personal files) last night and the Tab is still doing all the listed issues.

Insight to the listed issues would be appreciated.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Buried deep inside Windows there is an option for what happens when you select Shut Down.

The Windows default behaviour for Shut Down is that before it shuts down key data is saved to an external file. Then, when it is powered up and restarted that key data is read in - this gives it a 'fast boot' option. It might be that you will see a different behaviour re Shut Down if you change the settings within Windows to switch off the 'fast boot' option.

Sorry no time at the moment to remind myself of the Windows command/switch to adjust the behaviour. Try some googling if you aren't already aware of this option.

Snowy

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    How to Disable Hybrid Boot and Shutdown in Windows 8

IIRC it works the same way in 8.1. Not sure what happens with connected standby though, this may disable it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the Info. in the mean time, the following issue is still present on occasion.

Holding the button to turn on, you would get the splash screen, then the loading circle, then it appeared to shut off. Pressing or holding the power button immediately after wouldn't do anything. After about 5 seconds or slightly more, you could then hold the power button and get a normal boot but, just before you get the lock screen it would flash/say Hibernate/Hibernating and proceed to the lock screen, very strange.
    Anyone else getting this? I even did a full OS refresh and it still does it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    I had exactly that sequence for the first time a few days ago..it was surprising....I had that "oh, no, what is happening feeling", but it went thru these steps so fast, including the strange hibernating message before the lock screen, that I didn't really have time to mentally register it until I read your description.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been having the same behavior on-and-off since I did a BIOS update to version 304 on March 27

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobg0 View Post
    I have been having the same behavior on-and-off since I did a BIOS update to version 304 on March 27
    Same here. Sometimes it boots right up but sometimes I have to boot twice and get that hibernating message during the second boot up.

rscheller
    I have a suggested solution... don't shut your T100 off.

Just put it to sleep... just quick press of the power button to sleep vs a long press to shut down... or just close the dock or if your primary use is as a tablet, get a smart case.

Of course this advice is IMHO.
    Last edited by rscheller; 04-30-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Hopefully the 306 bios has fixed this issue.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links