Thread: T100 for development

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times

T100 for development

Having just done a system cleanup and freed up about 7 GB of space on my C: drive, I installed the Android Development Toolkit bundle (on the D: drive) and Java 7 (C: drive) plus the Genymotion emulator (C: drive) and it runs really smoothly. What's more, using the T100's touch screen to control the Android emulator is great. Obviously it isn't as fast as a real device but it's easily fast enough for app testing and development. And, equally obviously, quite a bit faster for native Java development.

Looking forward to spending a serious amount of time out in the sunshine this summer.
    Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    I suggest you take an umbrella. Screen viewing is less than ideal in the hit sunshine!

Quote Originally Posted by garryknight View Post
    Having just done a system cleanup and freed up about 7 GB of space on my C: drive, I installed the Android Development Toolkit bundle (on the D: drive) and Java 7 (C: drive) plus the Genymotion emulator (C: drive) and it runs really smoothly. What's more, using the T100's touch screen to control the Android emulator is great. Obviously it isn't as fast as a real device but it's easily fast enough for app testing and development. And, equally obviously, quite a bit faster for native Java development.

Looking forward to spending a serious amount of time out in the sunshine this summer.
    garryknight likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    Hey, I'm in the UK! My umbrella goes with me everywhere.
    Swipe and Sandi9264 like this.
    Garry Knight

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey I use mine for the exact same reason, so far I've found that I can't run the AVD emulator that comes bundled with the SDK but I can use Genymotion which is odd. Either way, the T100 is great for development on the go from my experience

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I've installed PHPStorm and have been using it for web development and it works surprisingly well. PHPStorm has an excellent fullscreen mode, I don't feel like the screen is cramped at all. The only annoying thing is that you can't scroll the source via the touchscreen (selects text when you try), but supposedly they're working on touch-friendliness for a future release.

Too bad that the browser debugging tools have such tiny buttons and click targets. Anything I do in chrome's inspector requires using the trackpad, which as we all know isn't exactly one of the T100 hardware's strengths.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    PHPStorm has an excellent fullscreen mode
    Yes. One of the nice things about Eclipse (yes, there are some!) is that Ctrl+M will maximize whichever pane you're working in, and pressing again restores it. And Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn move you to the previous and next editor windows. Ideal for working on small screens.

The only annoying thing is that you can't scroll the source via the touchscreen
    The scroll bars should work, but they're not a large target if you have fat finger syndrome.

Too bad that the browser debugging tools have such tiny buttons and click targets.
    I use a Colt fibre-tipped stylus for clicking tiny targets, but it's a pain - especially for a touch-typist - to have to keep picking it up and putting it down again. I guess I could hold it in my mouth and just dribble.
    Last edited by Swipe; 06-14-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Garry Knight

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links