Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

More space on c: drive

What can i move into the sd card from the c: drive to free up space? Anyother ways of freeing up space in the c: drive?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    If you don't mind not removing the card, like ever, then you can create a junction point and basically install everything you add to the card... including games, etc.

You can also redirect temp folders, system folders, etc to the card... and a good chunk, if you have a version with the recovery drive on the main drive, can be moved to a USB Flash drive and free up 8GB that you can then give to the "C" partition...

Apps like CCleaner can help make sure junk files, etc don't accumulate... just remember to run it regularly like once a week or once a month if you don't do much...

The speed of the card reader is limited but a good fast card should still be pretty responsive and fast enough... and you should be able to add at least 64GB... Mind, Asus also gives you some free cloud storage for the first year and there are plenty of others that provide some free storage too...

LjL
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm pretty sure if you're the owner of a 32GB model with the "hidden" recovery drive, that drive can potentially be used as additional storage, at the cost of losing built-in recovery.
    I haven't tried making it permanently visible (and writable) in Windows yet, but Linux writes to it without any question asked, so I can't imagine it being more involved that changing a partition type or flag.
    That would give one 8 free gigabytes, and yes, it can be used while the SD slot is also being used (I don't know whether they use the same controller, I think not at this point, but in any case, they can be made accessible at the same time).

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    I just hope someone is able to figure this out. A few people have said they have had the asus come back from repair with this enabled but most do not know how it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by LjL View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you're the owner of a 32GB model with the "hidden" recovery drive, that drive can potentially be used as additional storage, at the cost of losing built-in recovery.
    I haven't tried making it permanently visible (and writable) in Windows yet, but Linux writes to it without any question asked, so I can't imagine it being more involved that changing a partition type or flag.
    That would give one 8 free gigabytes, and yes, it can be used while the SD slot is also being used (I don't know whether they use the same controller, I think not at this point, but in any case, they can be made accessible at the same time).

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    if u feel like u dont have enough free space on ur harddrive read this thread through:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-2gb-free.html

unless u need a lot of big programs/games on c:\ u should be able to get enough free gigs on C:\ to keep ur t100 working properly.
    I haven't cleaned my disk in a pretty long time,
    and i still have 10gb free on c:\

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Btw, the upcoming Windows 8.1 Update is going to reduce the install size of Windows by a few GB... So it should soon be possible to have more than 17.2GB free...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    As I've mentioned, the reduced foot print may not be through a simple update, but through a clean install.

In fact, I found this specifically regarding the update

"As for the storage improvements, they've been able to reduce the size of the on-disk install image by 60 percent, freeing up valuable storage space (and, hopefully, ending the inanity of reviewers comparing usable disk space on new devices). A new WIM (Windows Image) compression technology also lets those smaller install images be read while compressed, which saves PC makers about an hour of time during manufacturing.

The bad news? These improvements only apply to "future devices," and they are not available to any PC you already own. If you upgrade to Update 1, you won't experience a smaller disk footprint, for example."

So, no, this will not free up more space for us.

Looking, it may be possible to get the update MSUs and include them in an existing 8.1 image, which then through a clean install, result in a smaller Windows 8.1 install size. That would be the only method.

The reduce RAM requirements may be something we see for existing devices, but there too, it could simply be optimizations made to limit loading components in to memory if RAM sizes of less than 2GiB are detected. It may make no difference for 2+GiB...which I kind of suspect, otherwise I'd imagine MS would be trumpting RAM efficiencies, not simply the ability to run with only 1GiB of RAM...though it is always possible they've gone the route of compressing assets in RAM and decompressing on the fly (like Mavericks does).
    Last edited by azazel1024; 04-07-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    The bad news? These improvements only apply to "future devices," and they are not available to any PC you already own. If you upgrade to Update 1, you won't experience a smaller disk footprint, for example."

So, no, this will not free up more space for us.
    Unless you simply do a clean install...

[Tutorial] Windows 8.1 Clean Installation

It's a bit of work, with some small risks, but as long as you follow all the instructions and make backups beforehand then everyone should be able to get the full benefits of the update... this update should have a ISO image just like the 8.1 update... People have already done with the leaked release...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    More than a bit of work

Install the Windows 8.1 Update for OEMs

You have to include in all of the updates. This is just for the 8.1 update 1, you might need to include most of the other update MSU files along the way to support 8.1 update 1 also.

AFAIK, at the moment, there is no ISO image specific to the update. There may be at some point, but right now, it is just MSU files. No ISO. So its grunt work to update an ISO and then do the install.

OEMs have it easy because all they have to do is the work once to update an OEM image with everything and then they can include it for all applicable shipping products.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    AFAIK, at the moment, there is no ISO image specific to the update. There may be at some point, but right now, it is just MSU files. No ISO. So its grunt work to update an ISO and then do the install.
    Download Windows 8.1 Update 1 ISO (x86 / x64) From MSDN | Redmond Pie

Windows 8.1 Update Package & ISO Downloads on MSDN/TechNet & Windows Update My Digital Life

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links