Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tilt screen back further - Hinge MOD?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Story

do you mean grinding it allowed you to rotate your screen to beyond 180 degrees or did it make no difference?

i'm trying to get the screen to rotate to beyond the stock angle and would do this if it worked for you

thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    It is possible to get it to rotate more.
    I just got one a few day ago and love it. The only problem is the screen wont rotate back very far so the viewing angle is poor. I dismantled it and had a good look at the hinge mechanism. There is a notch in the hinge plate where it rotates around the bar.

You'll need to unscrew the end bolt, remove all the washers, take off the hinge plate and file the notch flat. You need to do this on both sides. You can test it before reassembly. Works a treat.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    pics of it opened farther?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    So I tried to mod my keyboard... and broke it. I guess I pulled the cable too much while playing with the notch and stuff. Any ideas? Im too scared to try to fix it since I might break it even more...

EDIT: I was right, I pulled the cable out of the thing a little. I just pulled it back in and it's working again.
    Last edited by pepek88; 02-01-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: wooohoo

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you succeed to tilt back furtehr?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    To those who has made this mod. Does it work as you intended? Any complications?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey, sorry for not replying, I didn't notice Your question. It worked! I'm sending photos. Just be careful not to pull the cable too much (though I did and it was no problem to pull it back) and, before putting the keyboard back together, make sure the cable is where it's supposed to be 'cause I didn't and then wondered why the keyboard cover doesn't close fully.

I also noticed that now, rotating the tablet on the dock is a bit more clumsy. It's not as smooth and I have to press the bottom to close it fully. At first it bugged me but now I'm used to it and don't really care. Maybe I could have avoided it - there are many different nuts inside with different notches so maybe it's possible to figure it out - But it doesn't bother me at all in the end.

Since I'm a tall person and use my T100 at school, writing notes (and playing Mass Effect) is now much more comfortable. I'm definitely glad I modded my dock!

I'm attaching two photos with the largest angle and then one with the largest angle that still allows the tablet to... stand. You know.

20150328_121742.jpg20150328_121745.jpg20150328_122442.jpg

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for sharing the pics. I guess a HDD dock would allow it to stand on itself with a larger angle since it is heavier.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    4 times
    Hope the mods don't mind me bumping an older thread, but I opened up the dock on my T100TAF to look at performing this mod today. The good news is this mod works perfectly on the newer/cheaper TAF model.

It's worth noting that the hinge design is very similar to the original T100TA as pictured on the previous page (same nut, washers, brackets, and in the same order too), but one big difference is that I didn't need to do any filing or grinding whatsoever. The 'stop' in the hinge on the TAF model that prevents it opening further is actually just part of the large cast metal bracket that screws into the base on each side. I don't know the technical term for what they've done, but essentially they've cut into the loop of the metal on the bracket where the axle slots through it, and bent one side of that loop inwards toward the centre of the dock to act as the stop.

A picture paints a thousand words so I've attached an image with the parts labelled. You can see where the bracket is cut and bent inward. To make the hinge open further, then looking at the photo you just have to bend the bottom of the loop so it's level with the top half and they meet. You might be able to do it by hand with pliers but I'd recommend some kind of mechanical force like a vice or mole grips (I used mole grips), since the metal is quite thick. To do that you need to remove the nut and all the washers and remove the bracket from the axle.

hingemod2.jpg

The axle itself is keyed symmetrically (two sides are flattened off) so as you remove the various washers, you need to pay attention to their orientation - which side of them faces inwards, and just as importantly their exact rotation on the axle (since you could put them on 'upside-down' otherwise). By keeping track of their correct orientation you'll retain the notched effect in the hinge when closing the screen onto the keyboard.

It's pretty straightforward otherwise, took me about 2 hours taking it slowly since I had to figure it out. It's worth removing the cable from the PCB while you work on the hinge, it slides out easily once you pull up the sticker from the PCB side only, since it's firmly attached on the cable side. The tools needed are precision screwdrivers (two sizes of philips head), pliers or small socket set to remove the nut on the axle, and a vice or molegrips to flatten the bracket loop properly.
    njank likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links