Thread: General Questions about Asus Transformer T100

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

General Questions about Asus Transformer T100

I'm in the market for a new laptop and it seems like the Asus Transformer T100 may be just the thing. I have a few questions I hope some of you will help with:

I travel a great deal and need something very lightweight with good battery life. I need a laptop that will allow me to edit/blog to my website (Wordpress) including uploading photos, watch or upload videos from either a flash drive or micro SD card, word processing, download Itunes, and download Chrome among other things.

I'm using Win7 on my current machine and have no familiarity with Win 8.1. With this tablet, can I do everything with Win8 that I could do with a more standard laptop? Flash? Download zip or torrent files?

How is the trackpad or or should I think about using an external mouse?

What portable chargers work with this tablet?

Thanks.
    Last edited by BuzzB; 03-23-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Well yes, the T100 does all those things, just as good as any laptop or notebook would. The benefit the t100 has over majority of those devices is its low power consumption equating to around 9 hours battery (more like 7-8 in my *more than usual* usage)

The only real hurdle between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 is the U.I (user interface) but thats something that will take most people a day or two to get use too. Anything you can do on your current laptop (or any other laptop) you can do on the t100

With latest updates, trackpad works fine, had no issues (some users initially complained of it not being very responsive) but it is small, i recommend a bluetooth mouse if the trackpad isn't suitable.

Sorry, no idea about chargers.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    The T100 is full Windows. You can do anything on it that you could do on your Windows 7 laptop. You can even make Windows 8 look and feel like Windows 7 with an add-on or two.

I have no issues with the trackpad, but I don't use it that much either.

The USB/charging cable is very short, so you'll want to look at getting a longer one, or an extension of some sort.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    The trackpad isn't the best but it works except for when it falls asleep (thats the only annoying thing for me about T100)

LjL
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    The battery life is impressive compared to the EeePC 901 I was used to. With the latest updates, I exceed 10 hours of continuous use - can't say much about standby, because I'm almost always using it! :P But keep in mind that Windows 8 "Connected Standby" isn't really all that connected, and only Metro apps will be able to receive notifications from the Internet. If you'll be using it as a normal laptop, pretend it's just normal standby.

You can do all the things you mentioned. I'd just keep in mind that to use the faster USB 3.0 port, you need to keep the keyboard dock connected; the tablet part's microUSB port is 2.0-only, and so is the integrated microSD reader (this is important! I bought a fast microSD card, only to realize the speed was of no use).

The included Windows 8.1 is 32bit (even though the CPU is technically 64bit capable), and according to some things I've read, a 64bit version isn't available yet that will work okay with the Bay Trail chipset, or, for that matter, with the T100's 32bit UEFI (BIOS). But I think 32bit apps, including Chrome and iTunes, are still going to be around for a long time!

Some people like Windows 8 less than Windows 7 because of all the "touch" stuff it tacks on it, but... well, this IS a touch-based computer, so that shouldn't be too bad, should it?
    The "desktop experience" with 8.1 (and an update to 8.1 is coming shortly, which will add more desktop-touch integration) is alright, I think, after you configure a couple of things to be more like Windows 7.

The tablet is charged with a USB charger, but it needs to be at least 2A (some come with a 3A charger) to provide enough power to charge at a reasonable speed. However, I believe other chargers will work, and when I tried charging it using my desktop computer's USB port, that worked.

I hate ALL touchpads, so I cannot really say how good this is... it's "clicky", but if you just tap instead of clicking, that's a non-issue, and other than that, I find it similar to other touchpads I've used.
    But I really prefer using the touchscreen: keep in mind the touchscreen works fine with a lot of desktop Windows apps!

That's an important thing to mention: I bought this mainly for the TOUCHSCREEN. It's a small laptop / netbook, but it has a touchscreen.
    No, you can't do everything with the touchscreen from the desktop, without becoming crazy. Some things are too small, and other things need the ability to "drag" the pointer. But for a lot of things, it's nice, and the pinch-to-zoom ability in IE11 is a godsend, for a 10" screen.

That said... I had considered a couple other Asus touch-based computers (which have, however, no "separable tablet"): the 10" X102BA and now another similar one that's 11", I've lost the model number. The X102BA comes with a magnetic hard drive (much bigger storage space, but other drawbacks compared to the T100's eMMC; note that there is also a T100 version with a magnetic HDD inside the keyboard dock), there is a variant with 4GB of RAM (2GB is a bit tight), and it's more like an "old style" netbook. I fear the battery life will be nowhere as good a the T100's.
    It costs a bit less, but negligibly so... I'd rather keep the T100, myself.

Please note that Asus keyboards don't really tend to be the best, and while my T100's keyboard seemed alright at first, it has quickly developed a habit of registering keypresses twice, or sometimes not at all, and a generally flimsy feeling. When I tried the X102BA keyboard in the store, though, that seemed even worse. I'm using it right now to type on, in any case, and it's far from tragic (unless you're one of those people who hate any keyboard that's any less than 100% full-size!).
    Last edited by LjL; 03-23-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to remote quote, sorry

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, everyone, for your input. I was thinking of getting the Asus 11.6" laptop but the reviews weren't great. A tablet would be lighter and it looks like the only real differences are the number of USB ports and hard drive space. And the lightweight is really important to me.

I own the Asus EEE PC and the Nexus 7 which is made by Asus. Both were good quality. I already ahve OTG cable to convert USB to Microusb and the Nexus 7 charger is 2.1A.

Does any one know if the T100 will run an external hard drive or am I wishing for too much?

I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to check it out. Too bad no one seems to have the 64GB one in stock near me or anywhere for that matter.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Check out this thread:

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t100/41753-help-finding-t100-64gb-not-out-stock.html

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzB View Post

Does any one know if the T100 will run an external hard drive or am I wishing for too much?
    You should have no problem using an external hard drive.
    Last edited by Swipe; 03-23-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. Being able to take the hard drive will make my life a lot easier by not having to carry lots of flash drives. or microSD cards.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Here's a thread about external drives:

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-usb-port.html

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    The touchpad isn't great, but I've used worse (though not by much). For an external mouse, I highly recommend the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse, either the USB wireless dongle one (which I have) or the bluetooth version (much more expensive, sadly). It compacts way down. Its resonably comfortable and works on pretty much any surface. It slips in to my tablet or laptop case easily without taking up much room, which I CANNOT say about any other mouse ever made.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links