Thread: General Questions about Asus Transformer T100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzB View Post

Does any one know if the T100 will run an external hard drive or am I wishing for too much?
    I have Transcend 500GB USB 2.0 external HDD and it is working.
    I have Iomega 1TB external HDD USB 3.0 and it is not working. I guess it would need powered USB hub.

LjL
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Note that the T100 doesn't really *weigh less* than most netbooks... I think it's about 1.1kg with the keyboard. If you remove the keyboard, then sure, it's 500g or so (the keyboard must come with some weight to balance and avoid flipping over, I suppose).
    Even the tablet alone weighs noticeably more than 7" tablets, but this is probably unsurprising.

I haven't tried any external drives yet, and I have no USB 3.0 ones to try (but I should probably try the two USB 2.0 ones I have!). I want to stress that if you want to have a little drive space, I think it would be a good idea to try finding the 64GB model: I have the 32GB model and the space is really tight; right now, I've tried to free up as much as possible because I'd like to dual boot with Linux, but I still only have 11GB free. Windows and the things it comes with take up 15GB or so, plus, according to another thread, some 32GB models now come without a separate 8GB recovery drive, so that's even less usable space.

Which EeePC did you have? I had an EeePC 901, and I really didn't care for its build quality: the keyboard was awful, and remarkably, the problems with it were similar to the ones I have with the T100's keyboard, namely that the keys feel flimsy and they sometimes register double keypresses or none at all. The magnitude of the problem was much greater with the EeePC, though, and it doesn't feel nearly as annoying here.

Other build quality problems I've had with the T100 was the screen starting to wiggle in the dock after some days (seems very common if you check other threads, but mostly harmless), the tablet making a faint rattling noise when shaken (perhaps also harmless, but vaguely concerning, others have reported this one too), and two of the three little rubber "feet" distancing the keyboard from the screen when folded having detached (and since they're so easily lost, maybe one could glue them in place a bit better before that happens).

Overall, though, I'm enjoying this computer a lot.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    I do question the lack of seperate recovery drive on the 32GB models. Its certainly possible, but I wonder if they are buying refurb models. Asus seems to be removing access to the seperate recovery drive and installing one on the main eMMC when they replace boards and stuff on the 32GB models. A couple of users have reported getting their 32GB T100s back from Asus repair and finding a new 8GB recovery partition carved out of the 32GB eMMC and STILL having a fixed read only 8GB recovery partition seperate from that (but windows isn't pointing to it anymore).

I just wonder if something similar is going on with the users reporting no seperate 8GB recovery partition, it might just be hidden...though it won't do much good if windows can't point to it.

For the little rubber screen/keyboard pads, one of mine did finally come off, but fortunately I found it. A drop of super glue on both of the side ones for me as I pulled the other one off to better secure it. I haven't done anything with the front central one, in small part because it at least seems like if I did lose it, it would work fine still.

Weight wise, yes, it is heavier than a good lightweight 10.1" netbook probably could be...but a lot are pretty chunky little devices. Very, very few ultra books can approach the weight, though they are also bigger (11.6"+), even if they are running 2.5-3lbs or so. Just as a tablet, it is lighter than average for a 10" tablet, even if it isn't the lightest. With dock, is roughly as heavy as most netbooks are/were. You can remove the 7 ounce steel plate in the keyboard dock if you want it a lot lighter. That'll drop it to sub 2lbs for tablet and dock.

It does make it somewhat more unbalanced. One user reported it made it very tippy, one or two other users said it was still fine. I guess if you really cared about it, you could probably remove it and attach in a 2-3 ounce lead fishing weight to the front edge of the dock to better balance it AND make it lighter (or a couple of 1 ounce lead weights).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Let me bring up the question: Asus Transformer T100 or Asus X200ca-DH21t? The machine will be going with me for very lengthy travels--months at a time--and I travel with only carry-on luggage. Weight is an issue but so is performance.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    The X200ca is going to be preceptably slower in a lot of things because it uses a hard drive instead of flash based storage (even though the eMMC is slower in some things than the HDD in the X200ca is, the key area is read speed and the T100 will blow the hard drive in the XC200ca out of the water there).

Battery life will be longer on the T100 and it is fractionally lighter with the keyboard dock than the X200ca. The X200ca is also going to be somewhat larger overall and a lot bulkier/annoying because its going to have a full laptop charger instead of a USB charger (Though undoubtly it charges much faster). The battery life is also roughly half the battery life of the T100. So even if it charges a lot faster...it'll only run half as long.

The X200ca also has a lower DPI screen, even though it is the same overall resolution. It also appears that the X200ca is a TN panel and not IPS (I could be wrong about that, but nothing is making it clear what kind of panel is in it)...so the overall display quality is going to be noticably worse.

The X200ca does have more connectivity. It has a built in SD card reader, which is nice, it has 2 USB2.0 ports and a USB3.0 port...to the micro USB port (2.0) and USB3.0 port of the T100. The X200ca might also have faster Wifi, but nothing seems to say what is built in to it...it could be a 150Mbps max 802.11n adapter just like the T100 has. The X200ca also has an RJ-45 port...I don't really see anything claiming what it is...but I'd assume gigabit ethernet, so that could be very nice for the times you can/would want to hardwire it in.

Performance wise, it has 4GB of RAM, which is a lot nicer than the 2GB in the T100. I don't often run in to a RAM ceiling, but it does happen occasionally on the T100.

CPU/GPU wise, the GPU isn't going to be much faster since its a pentium ULV, so its not full HD4000 (or newer Haswell 4400/4600/5000), its the 6EU of HD2500 at a higher clock speed than the 4EU that is in Bay Trail-T...so figure, at best, double the GPU performance and more likely to be in the range of a 75% advantage there. CPU wise, the 1.8GHz dual core 2117u is going to be significantly faster in single threaded workloads, but in multithreaded its going to be pretty close between the z3740 and the 2117u. Ivy Bridge has roughly twice the IPC of Bay Trail...but the z3740 has twice the core count of 2117u. So in highly multithreaded applications the z3740 is going to be neck and neck with the 2117u.

Where you see a big performance gain is the i3-3217u, which has both the much faster GPU (HD4000 16EU) as well as hyperthreading, which gives roughly a 15-30% advantage in multithreaded applications (over no hyperthreading...or in this case, because the z3740 and 2117u are neck and neck in highly multithreaded applications, it means that the i3-3217u would pull a decent, if not overly impressive lead).

Then the i5-3317u is another story entirely as it has the much faster graphics (HD4000), as well as hyperthreading AND it adds on top of that turbocore, which generally can kick in and ups the frequency game to 2.4/2.6GHz for multi/single threaded performance...which takes the single threaded game from roughly double the performance to about 2.5x the performance and the multithreaded performance from roughly a 15-30% lead to roughly 75% higher performance.

IMHO, unless you need the extra connectivity, I would not consider the X200ca over the T100. It loses in most catagories to the T100 except for connectivty and modestly in CPU and GPU.
    Jldiamond1 likes this.

LjL
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Note that with the new WiFi drivers and/or UEFI version, it seems that my battery life with light browsing has gone from 10 hours or so to about 15 (though I'd have to use it at least a couple more times to say that confidently).
    So, assuming the X200 actually has just 5 hours of light use (which might not be a fair comparison, admittedly, if it's a common thing for Asus to actually *understate* battery life!), then the T100 has *thrice* the battery life and not even just twice.

I think this amount of battery life is one big though perhaps somewhat subtle reason for my T100 having virtually replaced my desktop during the past weeks. I don't do much with either, admittedly (browse and chat, sometimes watch movies and listen to music), but, well... before the T100, I couldn't have a device that did all that acceptably AND lasted me an entire day on battery. Not to mention that (for me) the tablet part being detachable is quite handy.

So if you travel... even though USB charges a bit slowly, you can find USB chargers and cables pretty much anywhere, plus, if the battery gets you through a day, the slowness likely won't matter, plus, sometimes you may fancy bringing only the tablet part with you, and maybe using it for maps and the like (note that while the T100 has no built-in GPS receiver, it does have a magnetometer, i.e. a compass, as well as accelerometers and gyroscopes like smartphones, and Windows 8.1 has wifi-based location abilities).
    Weight aside, the T100 is also probably much slimmer when closed... it's much, much thinner than my EeePC, at least. One might care when carrying it around.

Mind, that X200 doesn't look bad to me. I don't know if it's the 11" I had in mind (I thought that one had an AMD processor, but I forget), and I'm glad netbooks are making a comeback, as I was pretty sad about their apparent "death". The T100 is just attractive in some more novel ways, though.

About the recovery drive... mine is hidden, too, but it's definitely there, because when I booted Linux, it could see it fine, and then, strangely, when I booted Windows again, it saw it too. Now it's stopped seeing it once more. Randomness...
    But I think the drive is just marked hidden in Windows. At any rate, I don't really have any 8GB recovery partition on my main eMMC, although there is a small 100MB one, which I assumed was just to "kickstart" the real one.

I just think the extra 8GB will be quite handy once I feel comfortable enough with wiping Windows from them...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    The 100MB EFI partition is used by the BIOS for things like BIOS updates and such forth. The 100MB restore parition is used for that, its the boot environment that you get in to if you are doing a repair/restore/refresh upon boot. Lastly is that 8GB recovery partition, either on seperate NAND flash chip for most/all of the 32GB models, or part of the 64GB eMMC on the 64GB models that is actually used to hold the windows installation (and office install files) which is where that 100MB restore boot environment will look for all of the recovery files.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I'll go with the Asus T100.....the only last hurdle is taking it for a test drive--making sure I can handle the keyboard and the screen size.

LjL
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Right, that's the same as I was thinking.
    (By the way, why does everyone, including Asus, call it a "BIOS"? UEFI is not BIOS, in fact, it's the thing meant to replace and supersede BIOS.)

The thing with the 32GB+8GB models is, even though I haven't investigated this a lot, to me the 8GB drive seemed perfectly writable and usable, just slower than the 32GB drive, but still reasonably fast. I should probably do some better tests (I just ran hdparm to quickly assess speed). I think it's just marked hidden in Windows or something, haven't really looked.
    So (most?) 32GB models are in fact 40GB models as soon as one is willing to do away with built-in recovery, which should be nice.

According to the thread about eMMC speeds, though, the 64GB models' main drive may be a fair bit faster than the 32GB models'... which would be quite a point in favor of the 64GB models, but I don't know whether it's always that way, or it depends on other factors, like specific board revisions.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LjL View Post
    Right, that's the same as I was thinking.
    (By the way, why does everyone, including Asus, call it a "BIOS"? UEFI is not BIOS, in fact, it's the thing meant to replace and supersede BIOS.)

The thing with the 32GB+8GB models is, even though I haven't investigated this a lot, to me the 8GB drive seemed perfectly writable and usable, just slower than the 32GB drive, but still reasonably fast. I should probably do some better tests (I just ran hdparm to quickly assess speed). I think it's just marked hidden in Windows or something, haven't really looked.
    So (most?) 32GB models are in fact 40GB models as soon as one is willing to do away with built-in recovery, which should be nice.

According to the thread about eMMC speeds, though, the 64GB models' main drive may be a fair bit faster than the 32GB models'... which would be quite a point in favor of the 64GB models, but I don't know whether it's always that way, or it depends on other factors, like specific board revisions.
    Because UEFI and EFI are both still BIOS. They are Basic Input and Output Systems. They are not a traditional BIOS, and BIOS does generally refer to specific implementation of a BIOS...but UEFI and EFI are also BIOS.

Its a little bit like refering to a tiger as a cat or a lion as a cat or a house cat as a cat. They are in the same family and colloquially can be refered to as cats, but we also call our house cats, cats as a more specified name. None are necessarily wrong usages.

For the 32+8, its likely that the 8GB is actually connected through the USB 2 hub and not through the eMMC controller. Alternately, it might be connected through the microSD host controller...which actually jives directly with the maximum ~20-21MB/sec read and write speeds that the micro SD card slot can support on the T100 no matter how fast a card you stick in it.

Unless you are going to sacrafice your restore ability, or move it to a USB key, the 8GB isn't actually usable. If you were to use it, its going to be a very small storage area at 8GB...or you can possibly join it to the existing 32GB by using Windows storage pools (I assume Windows will let you do that, though maybe not). You aren't going to be able to add it to the logical parition through drive manager in windows though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links