Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 227 BIOS is up

rscheller
    @Goughy... not to make any excuses for Asus but you gotta keep in mind that the Bay Trail processor and the SOC associated hardware that allows these devices to be small and quiet (no fans) along with the nuances of Win8.1 just released this past October puts you on the cutting edge of technology.

Again, no excuses but be aware, there have been and likely will be for a while, lots of updates from Asus as well as Microsoft.

Yes by all means turn on Windows updates... I have mine set to notify me and I check what they are then I chose to install them... instead of just auto installing the updates. You'll likely have about 30 Windows updates that'll come in in several batches. The only updates for Windows I've not done are 2 that so something with Bing. Also, let Asus Live Update do it's thing... as you've seen in some cases it'll suggest a new bios as well as driver and system updates.

Oh yes... Welcome... and may your T100 experience be enjoyable... mine has been even though there's been a couple bumps. This is a great place for answers and help.
    Last edited by rscheller; 03-08-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    govorlivko likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Oh, and I didn't use winflash

Unless winflash masquerades as asus live update
    For me, installing a new BIOS through Live Update works the same as using WinFlash. I think there are certain software changes that have to take place before the BIOS installs that doesn't happen if you just try to use EZ flash, but both WinFlash and Live Update successfully do what needs to be done before restarting.

rscheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Here's a video on Winflash use:...
    This is a poor example of updating the T100 bios using Winflash. I'm not sure this wouldn't confuse anT100 user more than help.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    So are asus admitting that their own live update does not work?
    Dont see how you get that. Asus delays updates through live update by 1-3 weeks. It works just fine though.
    rscheller likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    Just updated to 227 from 226. One change I noticed right away-- With 226, the brightness setting shown in the UI was correct, but it was really at full brightness. I'd have to use the Fn+F5/6 hot keys to to raise then lower the brightness after every reboot. This is now fixed. The correct brightness setting (and actual brightness) now sticks between shutdowns and reboots.

EDIT: Hmm. My brightness seems to be back at full brightness after a shutdown/reboot, again requiring an adjustment every time. Oh well.
    Last edited by bgeery; 03-09-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Dont see how you get that. Asus delays updates through live update by 1-3 weeks. It works just fine though.
    Yes. Live Update works fine. The delay is probably by design. Those who directly upgrade could be seen as beta testers.

If there's a problem with an update, Live Update users will rarely see it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I noticed that the home button which i used always to turn on my t100 during sleep mode is gone from 227 update.

rscheller
    Quote Originally Posted by boeight View Post
    I noticed that the home button which i used always to turn on my t100 during sleep mode is gone from 227 update.
    WHAT?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    I just wanted to chime in here with my standard BIOS disclaimer.

IMO, it is wise not to run to install every BIOS update the moment it comes out. When I got my T100, it came with 214 installed and it worked fine as far as I could tell.

216 was released and a bunch of people installed it, most had problems, several bricked their machines. Within a week or so, Asus actually pulled it off the website. Lucky for me I always WAIT before installing a major update (especially BIOS) and see what happens to others. I don't move ahead until I'm convinces it's 99% trouble-free.

220 was released after that. Again, I waited several weeks. Let others install it and followed their posts and did my research. After a few weeks, it was evident that almost no one had any problems and it was a good update. So I went ahead and did it, following Asus instructions and info I found here precisely, and using the software Asus included for this purpose.

No problems.

I haven't bothered with anything since 220 yet, since my T100 runs fine, but I will probably update at some point soon, again, once I'm confident 227 or maybe the next one, doesn't cause problems and break things.

Moral of the story: Let someone else do the beta testing for you. If your machine is working acceptably, there is no reason to jump head first into a brand new BIOS, or even a major Windows or driver update, until you are reasonably confident it's been installed by plenty of other and isn't showing signs of trouble. Unless you enjoy trying to troubleshoot or RMA'ing your bricked T100 back to Asus for 2 weeks, BE PATIENT.

This strategy has served me well. I recommend it to anyone, and not just for the T100.
    rscheller likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    I just wanted to chime in here with my standard BIOS disclaimer.

IMO, it is wise not to run to install every BIOS update the moment it comes out. When I got my T100, it came with 214 installed and it worked fine as far as I could tell.
    I have updated every version of new BIOS since day one without any real issues.

That said...for the average user...there is typically no urgency to be first in line...or even day one.
    Swipe likes this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links