Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: "what to do when you first open the box" tips

rscheller
    Quote Originally Posted by SerodD View Post
    I'm going to buy mine soon aswell and would like to clarify a couple of things:

1 - I read somewhere that you should do a hard reset the first time you turn it on, is it a good idea to do it?

2 - What is the best bios version to instal? Again I read somewhere that the latest was showing some problems.

3 - Completely avoiding the windows button is the best course of action to avoid blue screens correct?

4- About Wi-Fi is there a special way to proceed so I don't get it to stop working? I read somewhere that the windows update drivers makes it stop working and you should instal the ones on Asus site, but I aso read the oposite.

5 - Does the SD card require to be formated in a specific file system so I can instal programs on it?

Well that about it, thank you
    1. Not necessary.
    2. The latest.
    3. I personally never use that button... not because I'm avoiding it... but because a swipe in from the right shows the onscreen Windows button to tap. That's a much more natural movement in the touch world than trying to push a tiny button on the side of the tablet. Also if your using the keyboard... and I don't... there's the WinLogo button to switch with.
    4. Shouldn't be a problem... but my personal experience is, when I rolled back the driver to .168 as some have suggested here, my WiFi failed. .187, the latest works with all current updates.
    5. Read the SD card thread here for details.

Final note, after it's charged, let Windows do all its updates and it'll likely take several rounds of updates. Let Asus Live Update do all its updates.
    IMHO, I think most problems reported here can be traced to errors by the users in not doing updates, deleting Asus Live Update or some other system safety net, installing incompatible software, or making changes to fundamental settings without really knowing what they're getting into. There is a ton of good information on this site but there's also a bit of misinformation, so before trying something, make sure you know what you're doing.
    Now after having said all that... there have been a few true lemons come out of the Asus factory but I'd say considering how wildly popular the T100 is and how many have been produced and sold, I'd say the track record shows extremely high quality and Asus's willingness to make sure the T100 is the best it can be with the firmware updates, they're truly wanting to keep their users happy.
    Last edited by rscheller; 02-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    All fine here too...everything is working very well. I did somehow managed to lock the screen orientation (no idea how) but fortunately there was a thread on here about auto rotate and that fixed it. I had a few nervous moments!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your answers , I'll stick to a 8 hour charge before turning it on plus updating everything through Asus + Windows Updates.

Again Thank you.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Hey elgordo123 -
    what do you mean by signing in on a local account rather than a MS account? I'm new at this so don't know exactly what you mean.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    This is what you should do:

1. Formulate your back up strategy - maybe get a USB3.0 disk drive for back ups.

2. Charge for 8 hours.

3. Start up the T100 and get into your account in Windows.

4. Don't install MS Updates.

5. Don't update drivers or BIOS.

6. Don't think that the Refresh/Reset options in troubleshooting will revert the device to its original state (like I did - foolishly).

7. BACK IT UP - somehow - so you can always revert to a near perfect original system image.

8. Use the device but proceed with caution - taking new backups before every significant event (e.g. BIOS updates, Driver updates).

Voice of experience here - with a 64 GB version - which may behave differently to the 32 GB version.

Have fun.

Snowy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links