Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Asus T100 Versus ______ (insert device here)

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times

T100 "vs" Venue 11 Pro Z3770 model

I have the 32GB version of the T100 now. We already know all the good points about the device and general consensus is it rocks, but there is another tablet that seems "worthy" IMO to consider. A
    lot of folks compare the V8 Pro, but seems that is not apples to apples (smaller display, slightly slower chipset, no HDMI and no keyboard or full USB). For me, x86 apps are near unusable with that device
    (display is too small and no integrated KB), but the V11 Pro has some apparent advantages:

1. Better display
    2. Faster Atom chipset
    3. Full USB on the tablet
    4. Replaceable battery
    5. Keyboard is better quality and has a battery too. $130 more though (on sale right now).

My only known for now is I will be returning the 32GB T100 for either the 64GB version, or keep the V11 Pro ordered. I can get the 64GB version of the T100 for $401 (w/tax). Since I paid $598 total for
    the V11 Pro and keyboard, needing to decide if there will be $197 worth of upside. If the display is great and the extra speed does not come with less battery life (has a bigger battery), it could. Key point
    though is the noted "apparent" advantages, since the T100 is already a proven overall great device. Not so for the V11 Pro.

Added:

My other "known" is if the V11 Pro does not pan out, I would still be happy with the 64GB T100
    Last edited by rushmore; 11-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    I had the Dell Venue 8 Pro before I got the Asus T100. It was my first taste of Bay Trail and I was incredibly impressed. I am going through the same process you are in evaluating the Dell Venue Pro 11.

Here are some additional thoughts on the Dell:
    1) Asus has the weirdest support ever. Their site is ridiculously slow and half the stuff doesn't make any sense. The site to register for Accidental Damage Protection has been broken since I got the tablet. I couldn't figure out what their weird VIP program for extended protection was for a long time. I haven't been able to reach anyone via email for a few days. Dell provides a lot of customer support. It's not very good support but if you have a problem, they'll go overboard in trying to "fix" it.
    2) The build quality of the Dell Venue Pro 11 is going to be much better if the Dell Venue 8 is any indication.
    3) I'm guessing the Keyboard will have a full-sized right shift key. The shrunken key on the Asus keyboard is driving me nuts.
    4) The Active Stylus on the Dell is junk. Do not let that be part of your equation. Dell has fooled me before with a stylus and promises of fixing issues when they came out with the Latitude XT a few years ago. Never again. I don't think they'll have better drivers/firmware to improve that experience.

BUT does this equal $197 worth of upside? Not sure. In my case, I got the 32gb T100 for $300 from Office Depot using a coupon code that probably shouldn't have worked. I can definitely say that the Dell Venue Pro does not offer $300 worth of upside.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    I've been watching and waiting for the V11 Pro pretty closely. I have no doubt that it's an overall better device than the T100. I'm still in my return period for the T100, but the thing for me is that at $400, I'm buying a tablet, and that's what I really need. I already have a laptop (typing on it now) and if I'm going to pay $600, that's getting into laptop territory. I want a device that does more, has more than 2GB of RAM, has an optical drive, bigger screen, better keyboard, etc.

For me, the Dell is just in kind of a no-man's land price-wise. If someone gave me one for free I'm sure I'd love it. Even for $400, it'd be a no-brainer. But for $600... I dunno, I'm probably gonna keep my T100 with all its flaws. I just can't see spending $600 on a tablet, even with a keyboard. (That is why I bought the T100 in the first place, because it came with the keyboard for $399, and nothing has changed about that.)

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
    I've been watching and waiting for the V11 Pro pretty closely. I have no doubt that it's an overall better device than the T100. I'm still in my return period for the T100, but the thing for me is that at $400, I'm buying a tablet, and that's what I really need. I already have a laptop (typing on it now) and if I'm going to pay $600, that's getting into laptop territory. I want a device that does more, has more than 2GB of RAM, has an optical drive, bigger screen, better keyboard, etc.

For me, the Dell is just in kind of a no-man's land price-wise. If someone gave me one for free I'm sure I'd love it. Even for $400, it'd be a no-brainer. But for $600... I dunno, I'm probably gonna keep my T100 with all its flaws. I just can't see spending $600 on a tablet, even with a keyboard. (That is why I bought the T100 in the first place, because it came with the keyboard for $399, and nothing has changed about that.)
    I've got the 64GB T100, very happy. But also thinking on the VP 11 pro for the 1080p bright screen and slightly faster bay trail. Is it worth the extra money?? The big question. I'm really not sure and I see what you mean price point its more like a laptop ultrabook price range. So yeah in no mans land price wise. I'm going to wait for the reviews and see if it really is worth selling the T100 to get the another bay trail atom powered V11 Pro.

But the Pros I see are:

Better screen 1080p and brighter.
    Better battery life (40 to 50% more over T100)
    Better keyboard
    Full sized USB3 on the tablet.

Cons,

Price does not included the keyboard and its not yet released. (Due second week Dec if you order now)

If Dell sold it at $499 with a dock keyboard it would be a winner.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    For perspective, the V11 with keyboard is $100 cheaper than the iPad 64gb and same price as the 32gb Samsung 2014 Note. Even if not on sale, it would be same price as the iPad.

Like those devices, a key reason for the premium is performance and great battery life.

IMO, if the V11 holds up for performance and quality, it smokes those devices.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    The 11 pro is now on the Australian website, but no sign of a keyboard, does it supposed to be able to have a keyboard, 1300 bucks for the most expensive I5 versions they have.

No mention of the sound i has in it either, as usual.

Cheers.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    i am a little interested in Venue 11 too but i love my t100 so much.

anyone know if they make a or will be making an 8" tablet with an attachable keyboard with trackpad? i would love the t100 if it was 8" too but with the dock that is really what i want most.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    There are rumors of a Surface Mini early next year. However, knowing Microsoft, they'll probably use Windows RT, an ARM processor, and put a $400 price tag on it without the keyboard. If anyone is going to do what you're looking for, it would be Asus.

I'm really not sure how I feel about a higher res screen on the Dell Venue 11. I love high res on iOS, OSX, and Android tablets. I'm certain the high res screen would be great for metro apps. However, based on my experience with the Surface Pro 2, I think that the desktop experience on a high res screen on a 10 inch laptop is a disaster.
    ilovetofu likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    Good point about high res on a smaller display. The V8 is too tiny for me and that is 720p.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    18 times
    I got my Asus Zenbook with a Core i5 processor for less than $600. There's no way I'm paying that much for a Bay Trail machine. The T100 is priced right for the performance it offers, IMO. The Dell Venue 11 Pro, not so much.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links