Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

More than 2GB DDR3 RAM?

Hello all-
    I will receive my T100 in the next couple of days I am looking forward to my new Win8.1 tablet.
    However, 2GB does not seem enough for a Win8 tablet!
    Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the standard 2GB DDR3 RAM module (unless it is soldered to the motherboard) with a 4GB DDR3 RAM module.
    Anyone?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by fabtech; 01-24-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Sorry, it's soldered and there are no sockets.

rscheller
    Microsoft says 1GB ram for 32-bit Win 8.1.

System requirements - Microsoft Windows

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    Microsoft says 1GB ram for 32-bit Win 8.1.

System requirements - Microsoft Windows
    Yup....more than enough for WIN 8.1....
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    10 times
    Depends on what you use it for, obviously. For consumption tasks, it's fine. Heavier computing (some games, media work, software not optimized for Win8/Modern) can push the limits of T100's memory. For tablet usage though, I wouldn't worry.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Yup....more than enough for WIN 8.1....
    Well, enough for the OS to run.

Looking at Mem usage, you could probably boot it with 768MB without excessive page file hits, but you likely wouldn't be able to load any applications.

My personal experience is it works just fine for most of what I want it to do. I can be running a dozen IE tabs, email client, a couple of metro games open in the background, Adobe Lightroom 5.3 32-bit and still not max my memory usage. Its pretty full at that point though, but not maxed.

If you look at the gaming thread, most people are able to load up just about any game that the tablet can computationally/graphically handle with RAM issues. Sure, sometimes you get a low memory warning, but no crashes or serious issues because of the memory size.

I wouldn't want to try to throw something like Photoshop CS6 with a 32-MP image file and a dozen layers at it or anything, but it works just fine for the most part.

Yes, 4GB or even better 8GB would be a lot better, but in practical use, so long as you aren't using it for serious, serious workstation work, or heavy development work, the 2GB of RAM is fine.

As it is, Windows 8/8.1 ONLY supports connected standby for 32-bit versions. Microsoft has promised to remedy this in the next few months through an update, but until that happens, I doubt any Bay Trail tablet manufacturers will ship a 4GB model.

Tablets are significantly more likely to be used with frequent "sleeping" compared to a laptop and it would be a big knock to user experience for most people if everytime they went to turn on their tablet they had to wait a few seconds for the screen to pop back-up (I think my laptop takes about 3 seconds to resume from S3, with 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM and a pair of SSDs in it. My T100 takes probably half a second from the time I hit the menu/power button to the screen being back on and the machine usable with connected standby).

I don't think manufacturers want to do the whole "4GB of RAM, but really its 3.5GB usable to the user" fine print/PR issues and there just aren't many options to ship 3GB of RAM. Though maybe someone will at some point depending on just how long it takes MS to get 64-bit windows supporting connected standby.

I think you are looking at Airmont/Cherry Trail processors this coming fall to be pretty universally 4GB of RAM with MAYBE a small number shipping with 4GB of RAM this summer, if MS has gotten their crap together by then.

What I think is likely to happen, possibly/maybe is some manufacturers are going to start offering actual OPTIONS on their tablets (which would be real nice). So instead of your only option being 32/64GB, or maybe 64/128GB of storage, and otherwise identical, it is at least possible some might give you the option to increase the amount of shipping RAM it has, or maybe even a faster processor. I am not going to hold my breath on that one. Standardization seems to be the name of the game for tablet models.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    5 times
    HP is already shipping the Pavilion X2 11" with 4 gig ram running 64-bit Windows 8.1!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xzb6np View Post
    HP is already shipping the Pavilion X2 11" with 4 gig ram running 64-bit Windows 8.1!
    Interesting.

Personally....I'm not a fan of anything 64-bit. It requires too much horsepower for not much more return on the investment.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Well, 64-bit requires a bit more memory, but due to the legacy of 8086 in Intel chips 64-bit code actually runs a bit faster than 32-bit mode (unlike for example Power or MIPS CPUs where there's no difference for most programs).

-Tor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    ReadyBoost Maybe can help a bit
    Anyway I do not have this option in my T100 (like a lot of missing features)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links