Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Warning: flashing BIOS from inside BIOS results in a brick

  1. #21
    *Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    750
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    4,360
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by illstyle View Post
    I see. Thanks for the clarification.
    Thank you for your contributions and insights. They are indeed valuable and appreciated - just to be clear.

    Thankfully, the "brick" problem has been a very small / isolated problem. That's a good thing.

    I actually passed on (in an e-mail) to an ASUS contact about your suggestion regarding having release notes that outline more information to avoid catastrophic incidents of this nature. They agreed and have forwarded to their bosses. That's not to say anything will happen from it...just that at least they are aware.
    illstyle and rscheller like this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

  2. #22
    Soundwave
    Member #
    65391
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Thank you for your contributions and insights. They are indeed valuable and appreciated - just to be clear.

    Thankfully, the "brick" problem has been a very small / isolated problem. That's a good thing.

    I actually passed on (in an e-mail) to an ASUS contact about your suggestion regarding having release notes that outline more information to avoid catastrophic
    incidents of this nature. They agreed and have forwarded to their bosses. That's not to say anything will happen from it...just that at least they are aware.

    ASUSFAN0001

    Can you pass on another suggestion to your ASUS contact. Enable HS200 in the next bios update

  3. #23
    *Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    750
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    4,360
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperT100 View Post
    ASUSFAN0001

    Can you pass on another suggestion to your ASUS contact. Enable HS200 in the next bios update
    ASUS already has their own internal roadmap for any updates...so no idea how that will fly....but I'll share it.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

  4. #24
    Soundwave
    Member #
    65463
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    Hey thelostsoul... welcome... just so your post doesn't get lost in the previous bickering... hehe...
    Do you know what version BIOS you are currently at?
    And what version BIOS are you trying to get to?
    Did you use the recovery partition to do your clean install or?
    Did you download the current WinFlash Version V2.42.0 from Asus' website when you downloaded the BIOS of choice?
    Did you unzip both the BIOS and WinFlash into a known file location and run WinFlash from there?
    If you provide a bit more detail, I'm sure someone will help you.

    Thanks for responding to my post!

    I'm actually already at 223, but here's what has happened: bought the device, I have no idea what it came with, but immediately ran live update after charging, etc. I know I saw 220 update in there, and it installed that. Then I went ahead and used a USB key made with an MSDN copy of Windows and Microsoft's Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to make a bootable 32bit Windows 8.1 key from the ISO. The update went smoothly and drivers all installed without a hitch. When I did the clean install though, I wiped the 64gb drive and clicked install on the whole unallocated space (let windows installer handle it).

    I also enabled bitlocker. So when I saw the 223 update came out, I went to the Asus website downloaded it along with WinFlash. I was then greeted by the this application is only for Asus laptops message. At this point, because I have bitlocker on, I had to use a USB key to copy the flash image to then flash using bios. If winflash safer, I would rather that, but it won't install.

    Any thoughts? No one else has this problem?
    azazel1024 likes this.

  5. #25
    rscheller
    Guest
    Then I went ahead and used a USB key made with an MSDN copy of Windows and Microsoft's Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to make a bootable 32bit Windows 8.1 key from the ISO.
    This part has me confused... did you mean to say "Windows 7" in there?
    It's gonna take someone with more knowledge than me to help you.

  6. #26
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    64427
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Posts
    1,249
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    This part has me confused... did you mean to say "Windows 7" in there?
    It's gonna take someone with more knowledge than me to help you.
    Hey just meant he used the Windows 7 bootable USB drive tool. Its pretty standard fare.

    I think what went on, is because you loaded Windows 8.1 off the MSDN copy, there was probably some bits missing that Asus has loaded up in the install that comes from the factory on the T100, so when you loaded Winflash, it didn't detect the piece it was looking for and gave you the message about "only for Asus laptops". Its probably a generic Asus message for the version of Winflash that Asus is using for Windows.

    I doubt it would or could check your UEFI windows key to see if it was an Asus OEM key. I supposed it could look at the hardware though to see what it was, but I suspect its looking for a token or ID of some sort within the OS, which is missing in a fresh install, not from the recovery partition.

    That is actually interesting/good to know in that it means that Winflash may just plain not work, period, unless you are running Windows 8.1 installed by Asus from the factory, or restored from the restore partition.

    Well, actually moving the restore partition to a USB key would probably work fine too, but not a fresh ISO.

  7. #27
    *Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    750
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    4,360
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    That is actually interesting/good to know in that it means that Winflash may just plain not work, period, unless you are running Windows 8.1 installed by Asus from the factory, or restored from the restore partition.

    Well, actually moving the restore partition to a USB key would probably work fine too, but not a fresh ISO.
    Agree.

    Then again...it would be safe to assume that this utility has a specific purpose and is listed under the specific device with a specific operating system on the ASUS site...strongly pointing to only working with the original OS components as you indicated.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

  8. #28
    Soundwave
    Member #
    65463
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    Darn. As I said, I wiped my recovery partition because I like to know I'm running a clean version of Windows.

    Does anyone have WinFlash installed that can just take the installed files, zip them up, and send them my way? May not work, but worth a shot.

  9. #29
    rscheller
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thelostsoul View Post
    Darn. As I said, I wiped my recovery partition because I like to know I'm running a clean version of Windows.

    Does anyone have WinFlash installed that can just take the installed files, zip them up, and send them my way? May not work, but worth a shot.
    You can get WinFlash at the ASUS website. I don't understand what else you need unless your asking for the Win8.1 ISO file which you deleted when you wiped your recovery partition... you can download that from Microsoft. You'll just need your original product ID code to register the WIN install.

  10. #30
    Soundwave
    Member #
    65463
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    You can get WinFlash at the ASUS website. I don't understand what else you need unless your asking for the Win8.1 ISO file which you deleted when you wiped your recovery partition... you can download that from Microsoft. You'll just need your original product ID code to register the WIN install.
    That would only give me the installer. I meant, could someone install it, or if you already have it installed, could you navigate to C:\Program Files\ASUS\Winflash, or wherever it installs itself, zip up all the files, and send them to me some way?

    I would really appreciate it, and if I'm able to get it working from that, we could post it for documentation purposes.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. BIOS updates 222 and 223
    By illstyle in forum Asus Transformer Book T100 General Discussions
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM
  2. BIOS Update
    By jdizon0907 in forum Asus Transformer Book T100 Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 02:40 AM
  3. Bios update
    By banditelvis721 in forum Asus Transformer Book T100 General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 08:17 AM
  4. How do you update the BIOS?
    By ebliever in forum Asus Transformer Book T100 Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 12:52 PM
  5. BIOS for emulators
    By keirebu in forum Transformer Prime General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 12:56 AM

Search tags for this page

asus t100 bricked

,
asus winflash only on asus notebook
,

cannot allocate buffer to store bios file

,

cannot allocate buffer to store the bios file

,

cannot allocate buffer to store the bios file.

,
flash t100 bios form usb
,

t100 asus forums bios flasher not working

,
t100 bios flash cannot allocate buffer to store bios
,
t100ta bricked during flash
,
warranty vadimo
,

winflash

,

winflash cannot allocate buffer to store the bios file

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.