Basically what Windows homegroup also can offer...For free

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Pogoplug lets you access it "in the cloud" though.

Or, the heck with homegroups, just SMB shares. Easy enough if you really want to access it "from the cloud" too if you want. Just set your router to forward port 445 to the machine you want access to from outside of your network and ensure you have the proper security setup. Good to go.

Though you may need to setup a DDNS service depending on what you have going on with your home ISP (whether you have a static or dynamic IP address).

Also, Pogoplug or not, it isn't unlimited storage. You are limited by the speed of your wifi and/or internet connection depending on how you are accessing it. If external, you are also hitting data limits, possible. Lastly, you can create symlinks to a network share...but you are going to have issues executing from it (its possible...but messy is an UNDERSTATEMENT). I doubt you can create symlinks or execute code locally using a pogoplug cloud share.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bballspartan08 View Post
    THIS IS NOT SO MUCH A TIP OR TRICK BUT THE BEST WAY TO ADD EXTREME AMOUNTS OF STORAGE TO YOUR T100 IF YOU HAVE EITHER ANOTHER COMPUTER WITH HARD DRIVES OR THAT THE T100 IS YOUR SECONDARY DEVICE AND YOU HAVE ANOTHER DEVICE AS YOUR PRIMARY WITH OTHER STORAGE IN WHICH YOU WANT TO ACCESS ON YOUR T100.
    1. Homegroup can do all that except fiddling with Android (can still be accessed with ES file explorer->set server) and iDevices, but I don't like it. It's limited to docs, music, videos, you can't access any file you want on PC.
    2. Once in Homegroup, PC or laptop or T100 will show in Network neighborhood. Any folder, drive, file set as share will be accessible, if set proper permissions even writable. Easiest way to send or copy files from one device to another to the folder that I want, not MS libraries. I hate them.
    3. As a last resort, right click on My computer, map network drive, insert \\yourotherdeviceip\driveyouwanttoaccess, insert user/pass, set reconnect at logon if you want and there you are. Warning: user/pass has to be the same on both devices, otherwise guest comp will try to force his pass to host and connection will fail. You can create user on host witch can be used for network access only, if your passwords are different.

All methods mentioned above can access USB external drives too, if they are properly shared. I have one on HTPC and it is working without problems.
    For working with clouds, there are free apps for accessing and syncing Gdrive, Skydrive, Dropbox, Mega..... If you don't want to install anything then good old classic web access will do.

No need to spend $30 to perform a task that is already part of OS. Spend them on pizza and beer. Or 64GB microSD.
    hoangtuananh likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    You don't need same user/pwd on both machines. You use the user/pwd on the server. Of course if you have the same account on both machines, you don't need to enter user/pwd upon networked drive connection as windows passes the credentials.

Example, on my server I have a user name of Matt and pwd X, on my T100 I have the user name of Matthew and pwd Y. At initial setup is required user name and password.

However, on my laptop, my user name is Matt and pwd X, no request for manually entered credentials.

Same deal with RDP. Windows passes your credentials, so if you the same account on both machines, bob's your uncle. If not, you have to manually enter it (which can then be saved).

In a lot of ways, not using a homegroup is a better solution as it is accessible to non-Windows 7/8/8.1 machines. There also appears to be a small amount less overhead on the networking end of things not using a homegroup. At least in my limited experimenting with homegroups.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    Talking strictly about manually mapping network drive! Homegroup and network neighborhood acts differently.

When you try to map network drive and you do not have device joined to homegroup, it will always reject connection if you have same local user and different passwords on both machines (running win7), even if you set "Login with different credentials". Guest always want to force it's password to host. I lost many of my nerves trying to solve that and I didn't manage untill I changed password on one device or join device to Homegroup.
    Once you have both devices in homegroup, it does not request user/pass at all and you can map drives without problem.
    If you running domain, then there is a different story. Proper Group policy solves all.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    True. If the SAME user name, but different passwords, endless headaches will result.

Always use the same password with same user name across machines. As mention...domain and group policy solves all.

Or just makes sure if you ever change your local machine passwords that you go through and change them all to the same thing (or use different named accounts across machines).
    stenc55 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    For anyone who plays games with a ps3 controller, ive found a much better alternative to motionjoy (anyone who has used it, knows why any alternative software is is amazing)

XInput Wrapper for DS3 and Play.com USB Dual DS2 Controller

Works perfectly, eg you dont need to run software every time you plug it in, just like a 360 controller. Most importantly no phoning home.... No bluetooth yet, but hopefully.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    There's a $10 program I use to transcode DVDs and Blu Rays to video files that can be played back on nearly any device.

What makes this program remarkable is not the low cost (although that is indeed quite something)...rather...it is the very high quality and wide range of codecs available (configuration options) for the output file. I have literally taken standard DVDs, transcode them into MP4 video format...and anyone who sees those on the T100 swear they are HD can came from a Blu Ray original (which is not the case).

Worth a try to those videophiles out there (I get nothing for sharing this...but like to spread the info...):

https://www.tools4movies.com/
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Handbrake does it for free - and probably better. :-)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ihartley View Post
    Handbrake does it for free - and probably better. :-)
    If it is copy protected source, you have to use something else though to remove the DRM. I personally use DVDFab to rip my blurays and then I transcode with Handbrake. They just renamed themselves, I forget what, because US copyright monster decided to go after them as a "piracy" facilitator. You know...because they facilitate you using your own movies the way you want to (I am a huge hater of DRM, so don't get me started).

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links