Thread: T100 useful tips and tricks discussion

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by byss View Post
    Hi Shock, I have the same issue with my T100. I performed a factory settings reset but the issue still exists.

Anyone to help us? Thank you
    my only temporary fix at the moment is whenever i start the tablet, i would right click on the desktop and choose the saved setting(gotta save the profile first) under graphic properties. This is much faster with just 2 clicks, but downside is u gotta do it every time u turn the tablet on. hope it helps

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Ensure there is nothing else that could be causing a conflict with the color settings (IE ANY other display programs).

For example, Adobe Gamma loader or similar programs. Doing some searching, the only hits I've come across with the Intel color profiles not loading correctly are people who had some kind of display program being loaded also.

You could also check there for a couple of icc profiles someone created to see if they are to your taste, just disable igfx loading on startup (run msconfig) for that. Or you can google around on how to create icc profiles and money with it to see if you can get it to your taste. Lastly you can change it by typing "Calibrate display" in the search field and do it through Windows. Again, you'll probably want to disable igfx from loading, that it might be fine loading still.

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-settings.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    any input guys?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eurokid View Post
    1. ive done the wifi trick and updated the bandwith capabilities but have only notices my speed at a constant 65.0 mbps. am i doing something else wrong or am i limited with my internet provider (verizon)?
    Well, that depends on what speed you pay for, really. Also depends on the capabilities of your router/modem and what the reception you're getting is like. 65mbps is perfectly acceptable for wifi.

2. ive been trying to free as much space on the t100 as possible and get it to run as smooth as it can. finally got a 32gb microsd in now and have transferred most of my stuff onto that but have been noticing the t100 constantly go from say 11.5 gb of free memory to less the next day. just last night ive noticed it drop to from 11.5gb to 10.9gb and havent downloaded anything? ive been reading people saying its the t100 virtual memory taking up this space? this is normal, but why? why does it do this? and does the memory come back? ive noticed if i restart the system the memory is back up where it should be as if it "cleared itself' still not sure how this works as long as it doesnt just keep eating the memory up im obviously ok with that i just want to understand this better and maybe increase or decrease the virtual memory if there is any benefit to doing so..im not much of a computer guy i deal with cars more than pcs and programming, lol.
    Perfectly normal behaviour. Windows has always used a virtual memory swap file, and it's quite normal for this to grow/shrink during usage. Don't mess with the size settings, you almost certainly will cause yourself problems if you do.

3. my t100 came with about 15 gb of free space...so half full of advertised 32gb full i assume with all the windows and apps that came with it. my question is which apps/programs have you guys found to be not worth keeping on the t100 that i could delete? which ones take up the most space and are just "extras" that i wont really end up using?
    The T100 is a virtually vanilla install of Windows. The only pre-installed software is Office 2013 HSE and the Asus Updater. The former is a few gig but you probably want it, the latter is only a few mb and not worth deleting. Up to you, really.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for the input, perfectly happy with this little guy, just still weirded out about the memory just dropping each day on the hd..will keep an eye on it. just been noticing it going down..

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    thanks for the input, perfectly happy with this little guy, just still weirded out about the memory just dropping each day on the hd..will keep an eye on it. just been noticing it going down..
    The same will happen to any Windows based computer. There's also the temp folder, and net browser history and all sorts of things that clog your HD.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FloatingFatMan View Post
    The same will happen to any Windows based computer. There's also the temp folder, and net browser history and all sorts of things that clog your HD.
    Yup. You can run CC cleaner or even the installed Cleaner utility (look under control panel, system and security, administrative tools for it). You'll get temp files loaded up from browsing and lots of other stuff, like updates, that'll eat away at the space.

Its part of the reason, even with the 8GB recovery partition on seperate flash), why I don't think 32GB windows systems are sufficient. You might have 10GB or so free initially, but even without installing a single app, updates, temp files, etc are going to eat up at least a few GB over a year or two. Which means after a couple of years, even with some cleaning up of temp files, that 10GB free might be more like 6-7GB free...and without cleaning, more like 3-4GB.

The default in Windows 8.1 is to set the Swap size to dynamic. I think it will take a base 1GB of storage for the swap file, I think, and grow it if it needs more. In previous installs (7 and early, maybe 8 too, I never checked) it defaults the Swap file size to the size of installed RAM.

Which can be a bit ridiculous, because the larger you go, the LESS need you have for a swap file. My 16GB desktop doesn't need a swap file. Hell, my 8GB laptop and server don't need swaps. My 2GB T100 deffinitely does though.

So what you are seeing is the swap file changing size dynamically combined with temp files and stuff filling stuff out a bit.

Leave the swap file size as dynamic, then it'll just use what it needs. Windows, especially when dealing with a small memory size, is pretty active in moving things out of system memory (RAM) and in to the swap file when it might not need to be accessed quickly. So for example, if you have several IE browsing tabs open, it might read out the contents of a couple of the tabs to the swap file instead of leaving them in system memory depending on what else is going on with system memory allocations.

Just ran a program? Windows is likely to read out some bits of it to the swap file to reload the program more quickly, but also free up system memory instead of keeping it resident there (with more memory, windows will just leave "unused" things in RAM and only free it up when it looks like the allocation might be needed, which speeds up reloading tremendouly).

Opening a program isn't as simple as just stashing it in system memory and then doing things. A lot of programs need to decompress textures (even simple fonts, 2D graphics and stuff are kept in a compressed state to save disk space), which takes processing as the program is "loading". Windows wants to "save" those decompressed textures, or what have you, either in system memory or the swap file for as long as it feels is resonable to speed up system performance.

So for example you opened Photoshop just now and then closed it. Windows is going to be loathe to just kill all trace of the program that was just running, so it'll either keep parts of it in system memory, or evict them to the swap file for the time being, so that if 5 minutes later, you relaunch photoshop again, it'll be able to have parts of the program pre-loaded in system memory, or at worst, can pull computationally intensive parts from the swap file and back to system memory, so it doesn't have to, for example, spend time and effort decompressing textures and loading them again.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Yup. You can run CC cleaner or even the installed Cleaner utility (look under control panel, system and security, administrative tools for it). You'll get temp files loaded up from browsing and lots of other stuff, like updates, that'll eat away at the space.
    Yup....I keep my unit crisp in performance by running CC Clean about once a week. Gets rid of the goop from the Internet browsing.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    downloaded and ran cc gained over a gig back that was awesome. will be using this program atleast biweekly to continuously clean the t100

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Also you can reduce the cache size for temporary files for IE.

Internet Explorer's cache

Also

How to Modify Caching Behavior in Internet Explorer 10

IIRC it applies to IE11 also. Not sure if the settings in IE11 desktop and modern UI apply to each other, or they maintain seperate Caches and settings. The later wouldn't suprise me.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links