Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

On screen keyboard auto-appears when in keydock

Hi everyone,

I noticed a (terrible) change in the behavior of the on screen keyboard. When I got my T100, the on screen keyboard only came up when I deliberately tapped the keyboard button in the task bar. This solution was completely fine with me (I know, a lot of people want it to pop up automatically as it does on an Android system. However, I hate that. At least in desktop mode).

However, there seems to have been a change to that system. Now, the on screen keyboard will pop up whenever I hit a text field. Be it in the URL bar of the browser, a text field on a website or even in Word 2013. I could live with that if it did so only when in tablet mode. Unfortunately, it also pops up while the keyboard dock is connected which is so stupid that I can not even find words for it.

Are there any solutions to this?
    I know that there is a way to disable the on screen keyboard altogether. That is not what I want. I just want the on screen keyboard to do NOTHING until I call for it by pressing the button in the task bar.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Interesting question. Ive noticed the same behavior. I'll have to look in to it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Hmm, it looks like shy of some possible application that can selectively disable it with a keyboard detected, it looks like the answer is no. Hopefully Windows Threshold gives the option.

Touch pad disable with attached mouse has been an option since at least Vista (maybe even XP or earlier?), why not disable on screen keyboard when hardware keyboard attached?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    The last but one windows update I did caused this for me.

When they look into this hopefully they can fix the missing text prediction bug too.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I have seen the on-screen keyboard pop up in docked mode only a few times. I have wondered what set of circumstances causes it. Apparently, the problem is not universal, because I only experience the behavior on rare occasions. As far as I know my T100TA is current with software updates, including the latest BIOS. I certainly agree that the on-screen keyboard behavior is unacceptable and needs to be resolved. The problems with the operation of mouse pad are irritating but this keyboard pop-up problem would be way beyond irritating. Does ASUS monitor these forums?
    Last edited by Daviddubya; 01-20-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviddubya View Post
    Does ASUS monitor these forums?
    We have an Asus rep or two that post here from time to time. The best way to contact the company and report these sort of problems is via telephone.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having the same problem. I spend a lot of time taking my hands away from the keyboard to deactivate the screen keyboard as it pops up frequently. Using the "hide keyboard" choice on the screen keyboard only turns it off for that instance and doesn't seem to impact the on-screen function globally. I hope to discover a fix for this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyBlue View Post
    I am having the same problem. I spend a lot of time taking my hands away from the keyboard to deactivate the screen keyboard as it pops up frequently. Using the "hide keyboard" choice on the screen keyboard only turns it off for that instance and doesn't seem to impact the on-screen function globally. I hope to discover a fix for this.
    May i know what bios version you're using?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Is there any fix to issue? I've been having it as well. Would a factory reset bring me back to a point before this started? As for now, I've disabled the touch keyboard and pinned the other "on-screen keyboard" program to my taskbar and resized it approriately.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    No. Read my post from many months ago about it. After a lot of digging, you can't disable that behavior (the good news is, that behavior does not occur in windows desktop applications because the programmers didn't use the WinRT API/for keyboards. Its only when utilizing the WinRT API that the touch keyboard will pop-up, which basically means all metro applications as well some bits of Office (as MS utilized the WinRT API for bits of the program, even though it is on the desktop, so that it is a lot more touch friendly).

It twould be nice if MS added in the ability to disable the onscreen keyboard when a keyboard is detected, but there is not way to do this through the control panel and no registry setting I've been able to discover to do this (and I have done a lot of manual digging as well as search engine work).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links