Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

Install Windows 8.0 with 8.1 Drivers

Hi All,

I have an Asus T100TA, we are moving over to new hardware with our kiosk based tablet implementation, we previously used a Dell Latitude 10 with Windows 8.0 Embedded Standard installed.

So I need to install Windows 8.0 Embedded Standard on an Asus T100TA, which I can install but I have no drivers for the tablet as 8.1 drivers refuse to install on Windows 8.0 embedded. I get an error from Microsoft that the drivers were tested for compliance with a different version of Windows and then refuses to install.

I have to install Windows 8.0 Embedded Standard as Microsoft has not and will not be releasing a 8.1 Embedded Standard, instead waiting until 2015 to release Windows 9.0 Embedded Standard, we cannot wait that long. Does anyone know of a solution, or how to force install the drivers?

Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    You can possibly attempt to modify the .Inf driver files to set them as win 8 drivers, but I think you are up a creek on this one. Its not simply drivers, there a number of things win 8 does not sport that the T100 really needs, like connected sleep. Ignoring that, it is possible some of the drivers call or are called by win 8.1 APIs or functions that win 8 does not have or the calls are structured differently.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Are you talking about Connected Standby? If so, that's also supported by Windows 8.

Windows 8.1 features a new Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM 1.3), however. And that might be the biggest issue. I don't know if Intel's graphic drivers even support the old Windows 8 one (WDDM 1.2).

If I were you I'd rather buy a device with Winows 8 pre-installed and save the effort to mess around with the drivers.
    Last edited by illstyle; 01-14-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by illstyle View Post
    If I were you I'd rather buy a device with Winows 8 pre-installed and save the effort to mess around with the drivers.
    We would if we could, but all the Windows 8 tablets are drying up. Funny, the response from the manufactures was to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Embedded Standard, not realizing that Microsoft hasn't and won't be releasing a version of Windows 8.1 Embedded Standard - https://www.microsoft.com/windowsemb...-overview.aspx / http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windows-embe...-platform.aspx

It looks like manufactures and Microsoft are way off the same page and they wonder why Android and iOS are kicking their butts.
    Last edited by luke82; 01-14-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by luke82 View Post
    It looks like manufactures and Microsoft are way off the same page and they wonder why Android and iOS are kicking their butts.
    I don't believe android, ios or osx is kicking the butt of the T100.
    T100 brings the best of both worlds together.

But microsoft's support does suck. And as android apps will continue to grow to improve at functioning like a desktop OS, windows will become obsolete for me.
    Last edited by beginning; 01-14-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by luke82 View Post
    We would if we could, but all the Windows 8 tablets are drying up. Funny, the response from the manufactures was to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Embedded Standard, not realizing that Microsoft hasn't and won't be releasing a version of Windows 8.1 Embedded Standard - https://www.microsoft.com/windowsemb...-overview.aspx / An overview of updates to the Windows Embedded 8 platform - Windows Embedded Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

I stand corrected on the connected standby.

However, without doing more digging in to the chipset drivers and some others, there really is a good chance that the Win8.1 drivers just can't work under 8, not simply that they are labeled for 8.1. Often enough you have the issue of older drivers not working under newer operating systems (for example, my Intel Windows 8 NIC drivers do NOT work properly under Windows 8.1), it would suprise me even less that there are more incompatibilties trying to run drivers targeted at newer operating systems on older operating systems.

As for Android and iOS kicking MS butt, most of that has to do with MS being very, very, very late to the game. I view prediction of market trends just like I do haruspicy, but I've been reading a lot that MS really is trending toward about a 40-50% expansion in the tablet marking in 2014. Which doesn't exactly mean it'll be stomping all over iOS or Android, as I think that means moving from roughly 3-5% of the market to maybe 6-8% of the market, but it is growing.

Windows 8 as a tablet OS was bleh. 8.1 is much better and Bay Trail + 8.1 really helps the case for windows on a tablet. Beyond my massive man crush on the T100, the OS is overall pretty good as a touch OS at this point. It can certainly do soooooo much more than iOS can. I can't speak too much to Android, because my use of Android has been casual, but frankly Android makes a piss poor desktop or laptop OS. It'll do it, but it is signficantly worse at being a KBM interface than Windows 8.1 is as a touch interface.

MUCH worse. 8.1 has the advantage that it is a very good KBM interface to it too (just some stupid things MS has decided to do in implementing the touch interface, though they thankfully rolled back some of the more egregious changes with 8.1. Though not all).

At least in enterprise tablet based 8.1 is starting to take off, both as support for XP is being killed off this spring, combined with integration with everything else MS. It isn't going to squeeze iOS or android out of the enterpise market tomorrow, but it very well might be the dominate tablet OS in enterprise in 2-3 years.

I'd be honestly shocked if Windows based tablets didn't have at least 10-20% overall market share by the end of 2015, probably more at the expense of iOS (especially in enterprise) than at the expense of Android.

I know a lot of shops that use iPads, but are otherwise a Microsoft shop and would love to move to Windows based tablets or 2-in-1s, but the hardware and to a lesser degree the OS end of things just wasn't good enough. Most are eyeing up shifting to Windows based tablets. One of the stumbling blocks I've seen to tablet adoption a lot of places is there isn't really much of anything that'll take smart cards for authentication as a number of them (gov't especially) requires two factor authentication and usually the second factor is a smart card.

An innovative tablet vendor that could integrate a smart card reader in to the tablet itself could have a very, very large market option (as it has prevented a lot of gov't agencies from adopting ANY tablets).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the replies.

We cannot use Windows 8.1 as Windows Embedded 8.1 Standard does not exist and Microsoft has said it will not exist An overview of updates to the Windows Embedded 8 platform - Windows Embedded Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Windows Embedded Pro, Standard and Industry are entirely different products aimed at totally different market segments, Pro and Standard are not anyway similar to the XP days - https://www.microsoft.com/windowsemb...mbedded-8.aspx Standard is the only embedded platform that allows custom branding, is a modular OS and allows you to lock down the OS.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    No, I realize. It does really suck for companies that need Windows embedded. Hopefully MS will change course, but I doubt it.
    luke82 likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links