Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: wait for Asus T100TA-DK007H 64GB +500GB HDD?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

wait for Asus T100TA-DK007H 64GB +500GB HDD?

I just got my self the T100TA 64GB, and now I hear that asus will release a version with a harddrive in the dock.

Should i just return mine and wait for this? does anyone know when its coming out? what do you guys think?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    It is camed out,i have it,and it's great

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Meh. Maybe?

Two things I can think of though, the dock on the 500GB version is thicker and possibly a little heavier than the non-hard drive dock.

Also, it should be completely compatible with the T100 without hard drive dock and I can't imagine it will be too long before Asus has the HDD dock in their parts store, so you could always buy it later. That is the route I am thinking of going. Not that I need a bazillion spare parts laying around, but frankly the way I use my T100, having a keyboard dock sitting in a drawer in my living room and one in my bedroom isn't a terrible thing.

That way I can also only bring the HDD dock when I need the extra storage and bring the (presumably lighter, but deffinitely uses less battery and is thinner) regular keyboard dock for the times I don't need the storage.

I don't know what the HDD dock will cost from the parts store, but it looks like the non-HDD dock is priced around $45 or so, so I'd assume that the HDD dock probably wouldn't be more than maybe $100? At a guess? Also I'd almost bet money you will be able to buy the dock without HDD, which might only be a little more, and then you can roll your own storage in it. At least that is my hope, because if I were to do it, I'd rather buy a seperate 128GB SSD, or even 64GB SSD to put in the dock.

Lastly...do you need the storage? The 64GB model should have >30GB free after windows, formating, the recovery partition and office installation (mine had close to 34GB after all that). The micro SD card slot can accept up to a 64GB card, which is another roughly 60GiB formatted. That puts you at greater than 90GB.

That isn't exactly a small amount. Lastly, a cheap external 2.5" 500GB HDD is pretty cheap these days if you really just need the extra storage for something.

I don't really need the extra storage over the 64GB model + 32GB micro SD card I have in mine, but I am midly interested in the dock with a 64GB SSD or so in it, and then load on some games that I would ONLY play with the dock connected anyway. Then I have even faster storage than what is in the tablet itself and I am not cluttering it up with games I'd never play in only tablet mode. Plus, like I mentioned, there are times where I have to walk across my entire house to get my dock.

These are the problems we must deal with :-D

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_oh View Post
    It is camed out,i have it,and it's great
    where did you get it from and how much? what country are you at?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    Either available or never.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by omarzedy View Post
    where did you get it from and how much? what country are you at?
    I'm from Macedonia,but our neighbours like Bulgaria,Serbia and Greece have it too..I think Poland,Czech,and Germany have it.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Not for me personally. 64 GB is enough for what I use this tablet for.

I'm also spoiled by SSD's at this point. I have one in my desktop and my laptops. At this point dealing with a 5400 rpm HDD would actually get on my nerves lol.

I don't need the space on this device, even if it were offered as an option here, I wouldn't opt for it (unless maybe they made it SSD)

I bought the T100 mainly because I wanted a tablet and I wanted a Windows 8 device, but I wasn't convinced of the necessity of either or that I would use them enough to justify shelling out $500+ or even $900 on something.

The T100 has been great so far. If were to decided I needed/wanted something more, I'd skip right past the hard drive version of the T100 and I'd probably just get a Microsoft Surface Pro or more likely a ASUS Transformer Book T300LA.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    if you want to store a lot of files an external harddrive could be even more practical because you can connect it to other machines more easily.
    if you need more space but not a tremendous lot, you could Always buy the 32 or 64gb version and expand with microsd

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    I am still kind of interested in looking for the parts to see if I can turn either a regular dock, or the HDD dock in to one that accepts something like a 60-128GB SSD in it. Should be a lot faster than the internal storage, though if the USB3 bridge is not able to operate in UASP mode, that'll add latency...but should still be a lot better than a traditional hard drive.

I am frankly good with the storage I Have with 64GB model + 32GB micro SD card...but I wouldn't mind some truly high speed storage, but to access with a USB3 GbE adapter, but also for things like installing a few games on the dock that I'd only use with a keyboard, or for loading up some extra movies or loading pictures on when on a trip backing up the pictures I am taking.

It wouldn't be often I'd ever need it, but it would probably mean I'd never need to take my 500GB external HDD, pretty much ever, if I had even a 60GB SSD in the dock, and it wouldn't use much power if I went with a really low power one (like a MyDigitalSSD 60GB SSD, or a 120GB Samsung Evo).

At the same time, it could be fun to have it and load something like Medieval II Total war on it, which takes up around 13GB with expansions...which would crowd the local storage on the T100 a wee bit.

Not something I need, but a play toy. I like to tinker, so I like the idea of trying to add the daughter boards from a HDD dock to a regular dock and moding it to accept something like a 2.5" SSD with the casing removed or something to fit.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    I've already got a 64GB card installed in with the onboard 64gb c drive. I did the work around to get the Micro SD card paired with the interal memory, so I can store files, install software, etc, right on the micro SD. I have a piece of tape over the card so it doesn't get popped out accidentally. Anyway, for me I could still use MORE internal memory, so if Asus made the 500gb dock available I would likely buy it unless it was outrageously priced.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links