Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: wait for Asus T100TA-DK007H 64GB +500GB HDD?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    My meaning of ingenious as "clever and smart" and not "inventive" is my sole discretion. But I highly doubt it being "dumb". Sorry English is not my native language.

It is obvious you do not need a 2-in-1. I think you are better off buying just a dedicated tablet.

P.S.
    Are there really silly people playing gyro games with the keyboard attached? Now that is "dumb" I know. Why not install at C: and detach the keyboard? And install PC games which need keyboard and mouse to dock?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    For me, the idea of the dock is that you use it when you're NOT mobile, so it indeed should enhance the capabilities of the tablet part.

It should have an extended battery, multiple USB 3 connectors, a wired network connector and -maybe- an option for an SSD drive.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FloatingFatMan View Post
    For me, the idea of the dock is that you use it when you're NOT mobile, so it indeed should enhance the capabilities of the tablet part.

It should have an extended battery, multiple USB 3 connectors, a wired network connector and -maybe- an option for an SSD drive.
    I think part of the problem here is that currently the Tablet Bay Trial chips are limited to, I think, 1 USB3.0 and 4 or 5 USB 2.0 devices. These could be expanded with a hub, but hub can cause problems. I am honestly very curious how the 500GB HDD is connected in the dock, as one user with one mentioned it does not appear to be behind USB when he looks in device manager.

It IS annoying to me that there isn't at least a full size USB2.0 port to go with the USB3.0 port in the dock.

However, at least a wired network connect and multiple USB3.0 connectors I can kind of understand as it possibly would require a USB3.0 hub to do, which could cause problems with some devices. That or USB2.0 device spots are being occupied by other integrated devices in the tablet (though it does not appear so looking at device manager).

You could integrated a gigabit ethernet NIC over USB2.0, though of course you'll be limited to 30-40MB/sec speeds (but still a lot faster than fast ethernet or the current wireless).

A perfect dock would integrate a BYOS 2.5" 7mm bay so you can slap your own HDD or SSD in to it (Bring Your Own Storage), an integrated 3000-5000mA battery, one USB3.0 port, one USB2.0 port and an integrated GbE adapter. Or ideally two USB3.0 ports and a USB2.0 port. Oh and an SD card reader.

Its a pipe dream, but a fond one.

I do really hope that the T100 replacement down the line (I can't imagine Asus won't make a new version with Airmont/Cherry Trail supposing they don't make a higher end Bay Trail version before then) has a least a bit more in the dock, either option wise or just stock.

The dock is nice, but even just one extra USB port (2.0 or 3.0) would go a very long way. An option for battery storage in the dock would be nice too, but I think it isn't nearly as important as most people can get 8+ hours on one charge. Again, nice as an option (but maybe not "mandatory").

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    fatman
    When using dock, I always plug in. So no need for extra battery. It will just add cost to laptop. Others can be usb hub. No need for additional sata ssd. It has usb 3.0 hdd so it is fast. the hitachi hdd is low amp draw. just like ssd amp draw. a little like 1-3 watts more in max power draw in both ssd and hitachi. change to ssd will only add ~15 mins of battery time vs hdd so no need.

azazel
    the hdd is usb 3.0. as stated in pc devices settings-devices. my tests shows usb 3 speeds as well. your pipe dream is a couple of hundred dollars more. just enjoy the device!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mariolouis View Post
    fatman
    When using dock, I always plug in. So no need for extra battery. It will just add cost to laptop. Others can be usb hub. No need for additional sata ssd. It has usb 3.0 hdd so it is fast. the hitachi hdd is low amp draw. just like ssd amp draw. a little like 1-3 watts more in max power draw in both ssd and hitachi. change to ssd will only add ~15 mins of battery time vs hdd so no need.

azazel
    the hdd is usb 3.0. as stated in pc devices settings-devices. my tests shows usb 3 speeds as well. your pipe dream is a couple of hundred dollars more. just enjoy the device!
    It might be somewhat longer, especially if the dock drive is used a moderate amount. I've seen plenty of laptop run tests (where it has a larger battery and shorter run time to begin with) where switching from a 500GB 2.5" hard drive to an SSD added 3-5% run time and switching to one of the lower power SSD models added 6-8% runtime. This is on a 40-60whr battery, versus the 31whr and longer run time of the T100.

Of course that was the MAIN DRIVE, so the testing was of course hitting the drive. If you don't use the drive much in the HDD dock, the difference between a HDD with the heads parked and a low power SSD sleeping is probably close to negligble (I'd be suprised if it was more than .1w difference)...so yeah, it might be less than 15 minutes difference. However, if you use the drive in the dock a fair amount, the difference could easily be half an hour or an hour or more. SSD is instantly down to idle state, which is a lot lower than a HDD idle state and probably that HDD is going to run for 10-15 minutes before sleeping and reducing power to roughly the same level that the SSD is at.

As for me enjoying my device, I certainly am.

I love my wife to, but that doesn't mean I don't have some fantasy about unobtainable women on rare occasions (just like she dreams about unobtainable men on occasion). I still love both my T100 and my wife. Though I'd probably be a bit more likely to drop my T100 for my dream 2-in-1 device if it came along than I am to drop my wife if Kate Beckinsale knocked on my door and asked for me.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    yep i guess your right. i use my drive a fair amount. i use it as torrent drive when i use the laptop. but an hour more is like 12-13 hours use. i need to sleep too. and do some other work. so its ok not to change to ssd. your dream 2-in-1 must be some other manufacturer. my collegue went for a samsung. lower battery life and 200+$ more but it should fit your bill.

p.s.
    please check out the hitachi drive 7mm 500gb. it is new and improved when WD acquired hitachi back when. it is faster and more energy efficient, much close to a mainstream ssd in power draw. not the high-end ones of course, but the low capacity ones (64gb-128gb). western digital must've done some tweaking and homework. of course ssd should be faster. but the usb 3.0 is the bottleneck. and its not that far off. the dollars more to buy and less capacity, is not worth it on my opinion.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    I have checked out the latest and greatest zk500 Travelstar drives, which is what it looks like is used in the HDD dock of the T100. Rated read/write specs are a little lower than almost any SSD, but the difference is going to be in amount of time for the workload to complete. Even a slow SSD is likely to complete it much faster than the HDD, even over USB3 interface.

Plus you have the idle issue. A typical SSD is looking at around .3-.5w idle (and significantly less in standby/sleeping), The Hitatchi is looking at a minimum of .55w in idle (low power idle) and something called performance idle, which uses around 1.3w (no idea what performance idle means, probably the platters at a higher rotational speed). So until the USB controller allows the drive to standby/sleep, supposing it supports drive sleep, the HDD is going to be using around .05-.25w more than most SSDs would be (or more, since no idea what low power idle versus high power idle is). During actual use, the HDD is possibly using a little less power, but it'll take a lot longer to complete the workload (and SSDs during read activity use very little power, its writing that they are often times higher, in the 2-4w range).

Sure, half an hour of run time for a lot of people, but it is for some. Some people also don't want to have to charge it every day and others aren't getting nearly 11-12hrs of runtime to start with.

The few with the HDD dock seem to be getting more in the 8hr range connected to the dock with light workloads. I am getting closer to 10hrs. It could be a difference in workloads, or screen brightness, but it could also be a lot the HDD. Just a little bit of light use on it could easily be burning off an hour or more of runtime compared to using the tablet without the dock (w/ HDD in). An SSD would likely give back a lot of that runtime, especially doing things like streaming reads off the drive.

Its always okay not to change to an SSD. Its personal preference. You'll always get massively less storage for the price. Its balancing. Do you want higher speed, with probably somewhat better runtime up to maybe significantly better runtime? Do you not mind the price or diminished capacity? SSD for you. You don't mind the battery penalty and/or want volumnous storage and deffinitely don't want to pay for a seperate SSD? HDD for you.

If/when I end up getting a HDD dock or modify mine to accept a drive (if possible getting the PCBs, etc), I'll go with an SSD. I don't need much extra storage. I'd like a little for some things, mostly large programs I'd only ever be using with a keyboard and mouse anyway (thus I'd need to be connected to the dock to begin with) and the occasional time I need to dump a large number of files and don't want to bring an external HDD. A 60GB SSD would cover me just fine for those uses and should be gentler on the battery than a HDD in the dock would be.

For the dream tablet, no, no such 2-in-1 design exists on the market, otherwise I would have bought that instead.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    Rednroll is thinking clearly. this is a rare thing these days. thanks, i have learned more from you than from a whole year of browsing arround. keep up the good work, for us.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mariolouis View Post
    My meaning of ingenious as "clever and smart" and not "inventive" is my sole discretion. But I highly doubt it being "dumb". Sorry English is not my native language.

It is obvious you do not need a 2-in-1. I think you are better off buying just a dedicated tablet.

P.S.
    Are there really silly people playing gyro games with the keyboard attached? Now that is "dumb" I know. Why not install at C: and detach the keyboard? And install PC games which need keyboard and mouse to dock?
    Let me first start by saying, the great thing about the T100 is that it is a great device because it is light weight and is able to fit many different uses for different people.

I therefore, will tell you how you're wrong about me not needing a 2in1.

I purchased the T100 mainly for work where I am a business traveler. In fact I'm an electrical engineer who designs electronic products and know a thing or two about them. Sure, I like playing games when I find the time to do so also. There are quite a few items that are needed to make the T100 a great gaming device, a built in HDD would be the least of those items. Items I mentioned earlier about a more powerful graphics processor, larger screen, more RAM, an i7 processor and even a faster SSD would be much more beneficial to the T100 for gaming purposes than a larger built in USB 3.0 HDD. You don't need to be an engineer to realize that, any techy could tell you the same.

So anyways, yes I do need a 2in1 for my purposes. I often travel and getting work done while I'm on a plane is a great use for the T100. Try to imagine being on a plane and working on a PowerPoint presentation or writing a specification document without having a keyboard. Much of the screen would be occupied by the onscreen keyboard and typing would be pretty difficult as well as being able to actually see the presentation I'm working on. I often have documents that I will need to open and having them all available via my portable 2TB USB 3.0 drive makes the USB 3.0 port on the keyboard a nice thing to have available. 10 years of reference material is on that HDD. Let's not forget that when you're in a plane, as well as not having access to a power outlet that "space" is a minimum, where you want to reduce the space your PC is occupying as much as possible.

I also use the T100 to go to meetings which are often in many different conference rooms throughout the day, where using it in tablet only mode is great due to the light weight and small foot print, where I use the T100 tablet as a notebook while also being able to access Outlook to send/receive emails. Then also while giving presentations, the built in micro HDMI port on the tablet can be used so I can connect the T100 to a projector, where if you worked in a business environment you would realize most every meeting conference room has a projector in it so presentations can be shown up on a large screen for everyone to be able to view that presentation that's being discussed. As well, the built in USB 2.0 port on the tablet makes for a great port to plug in a wireless remote receiver, so you can use a pointer "presenter" controller to flip through your presentation slides, so you are not tied to your tablet when giving a presentation.

Also in my line of work, reading and staying up on the latest technologies is a necessity, where often the only time for that is when I'm laying in bed where having a keyboard attached can be pretty cumbersome.

Also with those long flights, the long battery life is a necessity. No access to a power outlet when you're on a plane and a flight from the U.S. to Japan is 13 hours. So having a keyboard with a backup battery could be pretty beneficial. For now, I purchased a battery backup power pack for that need.

So, I'm not sure where you determined where I "obviously don't need a 2in1" because obviously you have no idea in how I use my T100.

You might be able to realize however, the T100 does seem to be a spot on design for a business traveler like myself for the following reasons.
    - HDMI port for connecting to a projector for giving presentations. (check)
    - USB 2.0 port for being able to connect a wireless presenter transceiver to use while giving presentations. (check)
    - Included attachable keyboard for presentation creation typing purposes. (check)
    - USB 3.0 port for accessing presentation material, such as reports, and videos. (check)
    - Light weight and compact size for traveling. (check)
    - Long battery life for traveling purposes where you will be away from a power outlet for extended periods of time. (check)
    - ideal tablet reader for reading purposes while on the road.
    - Built in Wifi for internet access for when in a plane, airport, or conference room. (check)
    Last edited by Rednroll; 01-18-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    ajp558, kside and nplazaro like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    I just ordered a T100 with 500GB HDD dock (only available here in US with 32GB storage) and waiting for it to arrive. My brother has the 64GB version with vanilla dock. Does anyone know if the HDD dock is thicker than the standard dock? If its same size, can we add a HDD to the standard dock? Does it have the space for it and SATA connector?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links