Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: wait for Asus T100TA-DK007H 64GB +500GB HDD?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by teegunn View Post
    I've already got a 64GB card installed in with the onboard 64gb c drive. I did the work around to get the Micro SD card paired with the interal memory, so I can store files, install software, etc, right on the micro SD. I have a piece of tape over the card so it doesn't get popped out accidentally. Anyway, for me I could still use MORE internal memory, so if Asus made the 500gb dock available I would likely buy it unless it was outrageously priced.
    what work around are you referring to that will make the micro SD card pair with internal memory?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    You don't need to do this hack in Windows 8.1 anymore. Just go to Settings-Change PC Settings-PC and Devices-Devices. Then change default location to your sd card.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by omarzedy View Post
    I just got my self the T100TA 64GB, and now I hear that asus will release a version with a harddrive in the dock.

Should i just return mine and wait for this? does anyone know when its coming out? what do you guys think?
    You could buy an external cloud 2tb drive like this one Amazon.com: LaCie 2TB Cloudbox (9000343): Computers & Accessories

That would take care of the weight issue and give you plenty of storage anywhere you go.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Having a HDD in the keyboard dock seems like a dumb idea to me. The only purpose I could see for needing a built-in HDD is for having the additional space to install programs. However, if you do that, then you always have to have the keyboard attached to the T100 to access those programs, therefore making the tablet only option very inconvenient. If you need the space for storing media and data, then that's what an external USB HDD is for....I mean if you're going to tether the tablet to a keyboard, then you might as well use either the USB 2.0 port on the tablet, or the USB 3.0 port on the dock and tether to a USB HDD.

For right now, I have the 64GB T100 and I added a 64GB micro SD card to install my programs. Currently, I have Office 2013, Acrobat XI, Photoshop CC, and a few other utility programs like Winzip, PowerISO, Notepad++, Macrium Reflect and VLC with 55gigs left to grow. All my Data and media are on a USB 3.0 2TB portable HDD.

What I would like to see is a T100 with a built in SSD drive to increase the speed performance, instead of the eMMC.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 01-12-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    It is ingenius actually in my opinion. I have the 32Gb eMMC and added a 32Gb sd card and installed all of my PC apps and Metro/Modern apps and games there. I still have plenty of internal storage left. I use the HDD in the dock for my PC games, music and movie library. I always use the dock as a stand when playing games with mouse/kb, listening to music or watching a movie anyway. And I don't need to lug around an additional external HDD which will stick out/dangle when in use.

I was planning to change it to ssd but I guess the performance as of the moment is sufficient for me. It is connected internally via USB 3.0 anyway, and I needed the larger space.

Add:
    I've done some benchmarking on my own and I was surprised to know that the HDD in the dock is actually faster than the eMMC! I was shocked, I didn't believe it, so I copied a single 6Gb file. After which, a folder containing several small files from an external USB 3.0 hard drive. True enough, the dock HDD is really faster! Faster by 100%!!! I optimized the eMMC before doing the tests.
    Last edited by mariolouis; 01-13-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mariolouis View Post
    It is ingenius actually in my opinion. I have the 32Gb eMMC and added a 32Gb sd card and installed all of my PC apps and Metro/Modern apps and games there. I still have plenty of internal storage left. I use the HDD in the dock for my PC games, music and movie library. I always use the dock as a stand when playing games with mouse/kb, listening to music or watching a movie anyway. And I don't need to lug around an additional external HDD which will stick out/dangle when in use.

I was planning to change it to ssd but I guess the performance as of the moment is sufficient for me. It is connected internally via USB 3.0 anyway, and I needed the larger space.

Add:
    I've done some benchmarking on my own and I was surprised to know that the HDD in the dock is actually faster than the eMMC! I was shocked, I didn't believe it, so I copied a single 6Gb file. After which, a folder containing several small files from an external USB 3.0 hard drive. True enough, the dock HDD is really faster! Faster by 100%!!! I optimized the eMMC before doing the tests.
    Ingenius?? I have to disagree with your opinion. To me, it's the exact opposite of being "ingenius". It's going back in the direction from which you came. The concept of a tablet was to move everything into one compact/light weight device, where everything you needed to work that device was built into that single unit. So putting a HDD inside of the docking keyboard is the exact opposite of ingenuity.

Hey, I bet if they include a couple expansion slots for more RAM in the keyboard dock, then the T100 could run faster.....is that ingenuity? Hey, I bet they might be able to put an i5 or i7 processor into the keyboard dock and I could do so much more with the T100.....is that also ingenuity?

That's not "ingenuity", that's called a "laptop" or a "Net book".

Ingenuity would be putting 1TB+ worth of storage space at speeds of current SSD's into the tablet section while keeping the weight, size and price of the tablet the same. Putting components underneath a keyboard dock is what a laptop currently does.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Ingenius?? I have to disagree with your opinion. To me, it's the exact opposite of being "ingenius". It's going back in the direction from which you came. The concept of a tablet was to move everything into one compact/light weight device, where everything you needed to work that device was built into that single unit. So putting a HDD inside of the docking keyboard is the exact opposite of ingenuity.

Hey, I bet if they include a couple expansion slots for more RAM in the keyboard dock, then the T100 could run faster.....is that ingenuity? Hey, I bet they might be able to put an i5 or i7 processor into the keyboard dock and I could do so much more with the T100.....is that also ingenuity?

That's not "ingenuity", that's called a "laptop" or a "Net book".

Ingenuity would be putting 1TB+ worth of storage space at speeds of current SSD's into the tablet section while keeping the weight, size and price of the tablet the same. Putting components underneath a keyboard dock is what a laptop currently does.
    Sure, of course you'd probably be paying $500-700 premium, at a minimum, for a $350-400 tablet for that 1TB of SSD storage in the tablet.

I do hope that Intel switches gears and adds SATA support to future tablet Atom based processors. Currently its only in desktop and netbook Silvermont processors, which means eMMC is the ONLY choice for storage in a Bay Trail tablet processors. Can't do an SSD (over SATA or PCI-e).

As for ingenuity, no, I think it can be very useful.

A 500GB is not something I desire in the dock, but if I can get it seperately, cheaply enough, I probably will and then slap a 60GB SSD in there (or if prices are low enough, a 120GB). First of all, for me, having a pair of docks could be useful on occasion because I tend to use my T100 in two main rooms in my house, and there are times I do want to use the dock, which means walking across the house to get it sometimes. Not the end of my world, but hey, if I want the expanded capacity anyway...

As for ingenuity, there are plenty of applications I wouldn't consider using without the dock, because they really require a REAL keyboard, let alone keyboard and mouse.

For instance, I have same games that should run on the T100 just fine (I haven't tested them...yet), like Medieval Total War 2. Darned thing is 13+GB with expansions...that would eat up half my available free storage on the eMMC or a quarter when you add in the micro SD card I have in it.

Just a couple of big games like that would fill my capacity, leaving me little for movies, etc.

Well, I am NOT going to play MTW2 without a keyboard, so having it stored on keyboard internal storage isn't a bad thing.

Others, like honestly I probably wouldn't do any image editing without the keyboard attached, so I could conceivably have CS6 and Lightroom loaded on the HDD storage (currently on the eMMC), to free up a few GBs.

I can probably think of a few other examples.

In addition, like you mentioned, for carrying a bunch of movies with you. Sure, I have an external 500GB for this kind of stuff, if I really need to. However, it makes it a little less convenient to grab new content in expanded storage. I have a USB3 GbE adapter, but the internal storage is limited to download around 30MB/sec using it (I hit 114MB/sec on my laptop and desktop using it). An internal USB3 HDD or SSD in the dock though and I could connect both the USB ethernet adapter AND have the speed of the HDD/SSD in the dock, so I could probably pull down files from my server at 90-110MB/sec, about three times faster.

Also the convenience that you don't have to hook-up a drive to your keyboard dock when you want to transfer files around to not have them cluttering up the eMMC/micro SD.

Ingenuity by your deffinition would be creating a virtual keyboard out of thin air, and a fully adjustable stand that morphs out of the back of the tablet, and extra expansion ports all when or if you need them.

The keyboard dock is there to provide extra functionality to the T100 for if or when you need it. Having a HDD or SSD in the dock can just expand that functionality. My T100 works great as a tablet right now. I use it as a tablet a lot. I also use it docked a lot, and I certainly wouldn't mind an extra 60-120GB of storage for the times I am docked to throw a few things on there that I really can't use as a tablet, but wouldn't mind using with the keyboard.

That said, over a HDD or SSD, I'd really rather there just be a second USB3 port on the dock, or even a USB2 port on the dock to go with the USB3 port.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    As they say, different folks/different strokes. You seem to be focusing on all the PROS of having a HDD built into the keyboard while ignoring all the CONS.

So let me point out some of the cons of having a built in HDD in the dock.

Cons:
    1. Extra size and weight added to the entire T100 for the built in HDD.
    2. More Difficult to upgrade or replace a built in HDD.
    3. T100 must be tethered to the keyboard dock to get access to the HDD, where as an external USB HDD could be be plugged into the tablet USB 2.0 port as well as the USB 3.0 keyboard port and will give you similar benefits. Saying not having a tethered HDD while having a tethered keyboard does not seem like much of a benefit to me....you're still tethered in both instances.
    4. Loss of portability for a built in HDD. (ie can't take that keyboard/HDD and plug it into another PC to transfer data to/from the built in HDD).
    5. Loss of practicality in using motion sensor programs by requiring the keyboard to be attached.
    6. If you decide to use a BT or Wifi full size keyboard/mouse with the T100 you now are required to have 2 keyboards attached to your system to access that built in HDD.

Also the point you tried to make in regards to large programs/games is not much of a benefit. If you're filling up a single additional micro SD card due to a 13GB game, it's just as easy to buy another micro SD card and install the game on that card, and easily swap the SD cards in and out of the built in micro SD card slot. That's the reason the SD card slot is removable and the reason they make cases with built in SD card slots for these items. The only benefit you really gained is not having to swap an SD card but you added quite a few CONS to gain that benefit.

Since, you're talking about "Games", many of the games for a tablet are also motion sensor controlled and tell me how easy is it to play those motion sensor games with a keyboard attached?

In all honesty, if I wanted to use the T100 as a gaming device I would most likely give up due to the frustrations of trying to game on the small screen size and reduced performance due to inferior hardware of a limited graphics processor, 2GBs of RAM and a Baytrail processor. Sure, you might get by with "some" games but the more and more you try to justify the built in HDD in the dock due to using it for "games", the more it sounds like you may have purchased the wrong device. My now, 2 year old Asus N53SN laptop with a 64bit i7 2Ghz quad core/8 virtual, 4GB RAM, 750GB SATA HDD, and 15.5in screen with a FULL size keyboard seems like it would be a much more enjoyable gaming experience than a T100. Besides all that.....I enjoy playing games much more on a dedicated gaming system like my Sony PS which looks great on my Samsung 55" LED 1080P TVs. I'm sure the T100 makes a great Tetris and solataire gaming system in a pinch though. I wouldn't be buying it with a main focus on gaming however.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    I think I'll put Rednroll down in the "no" column for buying a dock with the capacity for an HD. 'Just a hunch.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobThermal View Post
    I think I'll put Rednroll down in the "no" column for buying a dock with the capacity for an HD. 'Just a hunch.
    LOL!!! Is it that obvious? You can put me down for an additional battery in the keyboard dock, a SSD in the tablet in place of the eMMC drive, and a SSD expansion slot in the tablet. Putting devices such as a USB HDD inside of the docking keyboard is going backwards on the technology curve, where it seems it is just trying to appease those who actually want a net book or an inexpensive laptop IMHO.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links