Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is it possible to save data from a PC to a T100 via USB cable? Ethernet cable?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times

Question Is it possible to save data from a PC to a T100 via USB cable? Ethernet cable?

Hello!

Is it possible to transfer files from a PC directly to the T100 with an USB cable? I don't want to use an external harddrive everytime!
    It is possible with every Android tablet, why not with a Windows tablet?
    I think the micro-USB or USB 3.0-port must switch to client-mode, when the usb-cable is connected to a PC which is the host then!?
    Is there any software, where I can switch the usb-mode or is there any cable which does this automatically (for example an OTG-cable?)?

Greetings!
    Last edited by gstock; 01-08-2014 at 06:55 AM.

rscheller
    What do you mean by "data"? Are you asking from a T100 ability research standpoint or saying you have a T100 and can't get it to work? I've not tried what you're asking about but I do use other options to get files back and forth rather than via USB cable or flashdrive, etc. You could use Microsoft's skydrive or Asus's cloud storage. What's slick about that, is the files are available from any connected networked device that can run the skydrive application including android.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    10 times
    Presumably you have a wireless network? If the PC is on the same network, why not just set up a shared folder/drive and connect to it from the T100? (or vice versa)
    rscheller likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gstock View Post
    H
    Is there any software, where I can switch the usb-mode or is there any cable which does this automatically (for example an OTG-cable?)?

Greetings!
    Yes. There are special USB products specifically designed to transfer data between two PC's.

Here is an example of one.
    Newegg.com - IOGEAR GUN262WE 6 ft. Smartlink USB Data Transfer Cable M-M

Though it may be better to buy a large, fast, high quality USB 3.0 thumb drive instead. Or as others have recommended, open a network share.
    Last edited by Banise; 01-07-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    gstock likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    other than such a cable, no. The T100 is not designed to work as a USB client for file transfers like most android devices are.

This is meant in part as a sneer, but the T100 is a full Windows machine, not a "dumb" tablet. In this case it means it won't operate in USB client mode. Many options though, USB data transfer cable, use your Wifi (I assume you have Wifi?), get an Ethernet adapter and use a cross over cable if you have no router/switch you can connect through lastly get a micro SD card and a micro SD/SD card reader for your desktop and transfer files that way.
    rscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for your replies. Sorry, my question was not very good formulated. I wanted to ask which is the best and fastest way to transfer a huge amount (ca. 500GB) of files from a PC to the T100? Cloud storage is therefore not a solution, my own wifi-network is very slow, IOGEAR GUN262WE 6 ft. Smartlink USB Data Transfer Cable M-M is also not very fast.
    Will an ethernet adapter and a cross over cable faster than the way to transfer the files to an external harddrive and then transfer the files to the T100 (why is that so inconvenient?)? I have to buy a new external harddrive with 500GB just to transfer the files!?
    Why is it not possible to switch the usb-mode in windows, although it works on Android? (just as a general question)
    Last edited by gstock; 01-08-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    10 times
    Ethernet would likely be fastest in your case.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    Hm, how fast is that for 500GB?
    Another idea: Is it possible to use the keyboard dock with the 500GB harddrive in it (this time disconnected to the tablet itself!) as an external harddrive for my home PC (so it is really only a client?)?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    I assume you have the 32+500GB version and that is why you are asking? Otherwise I don't know where you are putting ~500GB of files on your T100.

The fastest way would probably be buying an inexpensive USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter and using a cross over cable (assuming it can't auto-detect NIC to NIC connections like almost all Intel NICs for the last 15 years can and some other manufacturer's cards do too). That is assuming your Wifi AP/router does not have gigabit ports you can just connect your desktop and T100 through using normal ethernet cables.

So long as you get a good and working USB3 ethernet adapter (I just got one, but it had problems, faulty I think, and I had to return it) you are talking 100MB/sec or so that things will transfer at. That is still a long while for 500GB of files, but should be bareable (less than 2hrs). Or, if this is a mostly one time occurance, even wifi isn't that bad. Sure, it might be a day or two of constantly transfering stuff, but if it is primarily a "first load" and you won't be transfering a whole lot from there on out, it might just be a grit and bare it scenario.

For your last question, no. It won't detect the HDD in the dock or anything if you try to connect your PC directly to the dock with it disconnected. The USB3 port is not setup to act as a USB host device, let alone expose the HDD to external computers.

A $20 (or however many euro) USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter is probably your best bet here for what you want to do. That or if you need to transfer it quickly and now and don't want to spend any money, you could probably open the dock, remove the hard drive, slap it in your computer, transfer the files and then stick it back in the dock. That wouldn't be much faster than if you did have a USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter though as the 2.5" 5400rpm drive is likely going to max out around 90MB/sec or so average transfer speeds over the entire drive span, which is roughly around what you should manage with a USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter anyway.
    gstock likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    yes i have the 32+500GB version.
    Does anybody know a good working usb3 gigabit ethernet adapter on amazon/ebay/aliexpress?
    Could the keyboard-dock ever be used as an external harddrive, if there would be a "t100-dock-port->USB-port" adapter/cable?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links