Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times

How to gain back some additional space from Windows 8.1

In my never ending search for maximizing my T100's drive space I came across a neat little set of utilities that Microsoft has built into windows that allows you to free up mega space from its internal system files. I am specifically talking about the WinSXS located under c:\windows. If you look at the amount of space that single folder takes up you may be shocked. Mine was over 5.5Gb on a nearly fresh install!

NOTE: This trick is not for the faint of heart and you must be very careful when typing these commands. I highly recommend that you back-up all important and personal files and ensure that your recovery partition is in good shape (ie. working).

That said, the procedures outlined below do work very well and I have tested them on my 32Gb T100 and gained back close to 1Gb of space on the C:\ Drive!

First I am following the guide from this external site which works flawlessly in windows 8.1.

First read through those instructions. I am just giving a guideline of the commands and results from my experiment below. So you have to read that article and understand it fully first before you proceed..

What I did is this:

1) TRY THIS FIRST: I did try to run the windows update cleanup as first mentioned in that article but it hung for a very long time and I felt it just wasn't working - I cancelled it out. Then I realized that it is likely that Asus is shipping these units with the drive imaged to include some updates pre-installed and that is causing the cleanup to stall out on those updates - in other words windows can't see that they were ever actually physically downloaded and installed but instead each new machine included the update as they are just a carbon copy of another install image (remember I said this in a bit).

2) As my alternative I went ahead and forcibly removed all previous versions of uninstalled components, even ones that haven’t been around for more than 30 days as outlined in that article. I chose to go the most drastic route by making it so I can't uninstall any prior windows updates -- get rid of the install files completely and "rebase" my image.

Code:
    DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    What this does is huge. I got back a large amount of disk space on that single command. Windows updates still work fine, and you in essence are feature locking the install as Asus ships it -- In other words you are locking in that carbon copy image from Asus as you won't need to uninstall any of those updates. Also keep in mind that this is a Windows 8.1 image we are talking about here...few actual updates have been released. I may be more cautious with this command as time goes on because Microsoft is notorious for bad updates and I may want to uninstall future ones. But right now I know that the updates as they stand today on the last day of 2013 are good.

3) Another command I chose to go with is as follows:
    Code:
    DISM.exe /Online /English /Get-Features /Format:Table
    Look at that output. Anything that is disabled is still sitting there using up space on the drive!

Even still I only uninstalled the one thing I am 100% certain I won't ever be using and that is IIS (Web services). That group of packages is a space waster unless you plan on running a web server or using your T100 as a server.

The command to remove all IIS components is:
    Code:
    DISM.exe /Online /Disable-Feature /featurename:IIS-WebServerRole /Remove
    It takes a little bit to run..but once it is done you can rerun
    Code:
    DISM.exe /Online /English /Get-Features /Format:Table
    and you will see that all of IIS is removed with "Disabled with Payload Removed".

Don't worry if you ever need to actually install once of those features as Windows will go up to the server and download it for you.

Just be sure to read over everything before you hit enter after typing those commands and take it slow. I haven't removed any of those other packages that are shipped with our Windows 8.1 image from Asus. I am guessing that they aren't huge anyway.

Happy new year everyone!
    Last edited by zach9824; 12-31-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    seems interesting, I wonder how much is freed up on the 64gig

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdashing View Post
    seems interesting, I wonder how much is freed up on the 64gig
    Don't expect too much. Without the Winsxs-Folder ( the "Component Store" ) Windows is just a "nothing".

In the first link of the TO-post you can read:

"The WinSXS folder contains all Windows system components. In fact, component files elsewhere in Windows are just links to files contained in the WinSXS folder. The WinSXS folder contains every operating system file."

i.e nearly every file in the system32-folder isn't really placed there. They are just hardlinks to the "real files" in the Component Store.

You can just remove some "packages" for optional features of Windows, which you'd never want to activate..

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links