Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: No space to install Office on new T100?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

No space to install Office on new T100?

Hi,

I've recently purchased the T100, and as of yet haven't installed any new programs. The first thing I went to do was activate Microsoft Office using the code in the box, but when I type in the code it tells me there is not enough space available?

Looking in My Computer, the C: Drive is showing 4.93GB free of 20.2GB. First of all, the specs state this is a 32gb model, so I'm not sure why it is only showing 20.2GB as the total? I also have no idea what is taking up the 15GB that is apparently being used?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I too have this issue with a 32gb. Windows seems to have eaten all the space up.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum to you both

There are a few things you can do to free up some space, by installing CCLEANER for one. (stands for crap cleaner). The install requires more space to install than you are left with after the install, assuming it cleans up after the install as it should.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    On my 32 GB T100 at first I had 13 GB of free space out of 29 GB (or something like that) after activating office, so what you are seeing is definitely not normal. 20 GB total is not correct.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Not sure if the student edition works the same as pro, but do a custom install and load office onto a microSD card.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    There are a few things you can do to free up some space, by installing CCLEANER for one. (stands for crap cleaner). The install requires more space to install than you are left with after the install, assuming it cleans up after the install as it should.
    Yeah - what Lee said...

I've been using CCleaner every few days just to unclog the pipes of stored junk you get from Internet sessions, along with temp files, etc. A great utility.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    This really makes me wonder why they even sell a 32 GB version to be honest. It's not an iPad or an Android. 64 GB is probably the practical minimum for Windows 8. It'll be good when they finally hit that $299 price point and give you 64 GB so they stop disappoint people like this. People buying their first Windows tablet don't need to be turned off by finding it has barely adequate storage and then returning it for an iPad or something.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually, my 32 gb model had exactly the same amount of initial free space as my ipad 2, 13 gb. Cleaning out temp files from browsing is also not necessary for IE since the maximum size of the browser cache defaults to 250 mb. iOS is better behaved than windows with disk space, but iOS apps have a big footprint due to retina artwork, so in practice an entry level 16 gb ipad is a close match to the 32 gb t100.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    This really makes me wonder why they even sell a 32 GB version to be honest. It's not an iPad or an Android. 64 GB is probably the practical minimum for Windows 8. It'll be good when they finally hit that $299 price point and give you 64 GB so they stop disappoint people like this. People buying their first Windows tablet don't need to be turned off by finding it has barely adequate storage and then returning it for an iPad or something.
    It's budget... solid state storage is still not as cheap as mechanical drivers, and this issue is compounded by how the market handles them... Namely, all mobile devices use storage as a means to regulate price range.

Apple being the most obvious abuser of this practice by adding $100 to the price for each doubling of driver storage capacity but they all do it... Even the Google Nexus 7 adds about $50 to double the capacity but the cost of the actual additional storage is more like $8 for that added $50... So it's a means by which they leverage pricing to bring about better profit margins for the company that makes the device.

Mind, the market push is to push pricing ever lower but these prices are cutting into the companies profit margins and they need profit to justify the device and keep the company going. So they all find means by which they can still get profit... Google seems to do it the least but they really just do it indirectly because they get profit from ads and other indirect means. While hardware companies have to settle for what they can get with hardware sales...

Anyway, the technology does eventually get cheaper and as they push capacities higher... the previous highest capacities become much cheaper. So we're less than a year away before we see 64GB replace 32GB for the new norm for Windows devices but Windows devices already differ from other mobile devices by setting 32GB as absolute minimum capacity they can be designed with!

Meanwhile, you still see other mobile devices with 16GB or even less and many lack expansion options as well... So it's not so terrible for Windows devices...

Mind, when Netbooks first came out and were equipped with SSDs they were only give 2-4GB capacities initially because anything more would be too expensive and the speed of those old drives were way slower than what we get today even with eMMC drives.

So, remember how far we've come before considering these so terrible and mind it's only a matter of time before things improve! Besides, these are budget models and you get mostly what you pay for... It won't be like Chromebooks or other similar budget devices will be providing you a lot of internal storage either...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    You should check if you have the hidden recovery partition in addition to you C:\ .
    I heard about some people that did not have this partition and where the recovery was on the C: instead. If it is the case , return your tablet as it is not normal.

On all 32gb versions, Asus added an extra hidden drive (about 8gb) for the recovery in order to leave extra space on C for installing applications and softwares.

I am afraid you have a faulty device but you have to double check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links