Thread: I want that darn 8GB recovery partition

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blorg View Post
    If you have the "got a T100 back from repair with 8GB missing" problem, Asus have a tool called Backtracker that will allow you to back up the recovery partition to a USB stick and then delete it.

When you've backed that up it's literally a single click to delete the recovery partition and it automatically adds the space to your C: drive. Takes all of two seconds!

Download it here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...373.1433497585
    Hi, my 32gb T100TA has the following partitions on the eMMC: 100 MB hidden partition; 20,2 MB for the C: drive; 8 GB recovery partition. My T100TA was bought brand new and it have never been sent to repair.

I've downloaded Backtracker and run it. The recovery partition was correctly copied to a USB flash drive, but I was unable to delete if from the eMMC, since Backtracker didn't show any option for doing that. Only option I have on Backtracker was to make the backup copy of the recovery partition.

Best regards,

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, after searching the Web, I thought I could get my 8GB back since I updated Windows and ended up with about 2GB available on a new T100TAF.
    I created a USB stick with recovery partition. There was no option given to delete the recovery partition from the T100. I booted to PowerShell and ran dispart, deleted the recovery partition and extended the exiting partition and c: filesystem. I can see the see drive from the shell and all the data is there. Problem is, the computer will not boot. I get a blue screen and error 0xc0000225. I booted from the USB and tried refresh and reset options. Both failed with "this cannot be done from USB."
    OK. I searched more and found the bcdboot c:\Windows /s z: /f ALL command. That and a bunch of other /fixboot type commands. After assigning the 100MB partition a drive letter z: in diskpart I ran the bcd boot command at it failed.

Now I'm really stuck. The Web is not providing any other info. on how I can fix this boot issue.
    Any thoughts? Can I wipe the HD and reinstall clean? I don't see any activation key with any of the ASUS documentation and I am concerned that there's no way to clean install Windows 8.1.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by geofgibson View Post
    OK, after searching the Web, I thought I could get my 8GB back since I updated Windows and ended up with about 2GB available on a new T100TAF.
    I created a USB stick with recovery partition. There was no option given to delete the recovery partition from the T100. I booted to PowerShell and ran dispart, deleted the recovery partition and extended the exiting partition and c: filesystem. I can see the see drive from the shell and all the data is there. Problem is, the computer will not boot. I get a blue screen and error 0xc0000225. I booted from the USB and tried refresh and reset options. Both failed with "this cannot be done from USB."
    OK. I searched more and found the bcdboot c:\Windows /s z: /f ALL command. That and a bunch of other /fixboot type commands. After assigning the 100MB partition a drive letter z: in diskpart I ran the bcd boot command at it failed.

Now I'm really stuck. The Web is not providing any other info. on how I can fix this boot issue.
    Any thoughts? Can I wipe the HD and reinstall clean? I don't see any activation key with any of the ASUS documentation and I am concerned that there's no way to clean install Windows 8.1.
    We've noticed several issues with the "recovery partition" with respect to the 32 gb T100TA models. Yours is a TAF but I don't know how that differs. Anyway, on some older models the recovery is on a 8 gb chip, separate from the SSD. The option to delete the partition is only given if you will increase SSD space. So in this case you won't get the option. The second is if the OS was installed with WIMBoot compression technology. This is true of the newer models. The recovery partition has to be there and you won't get the option to delete after copying. However, you should have had a lot of free space, about 16 gb from the start. It is hard to believe that Windows Updates execution only left you with 2 gb free. You might have tried some clean up or TreeSize (a program to determine the largest folders/files). Other people have lost free space with av updates. So I don't know what came into play here.

You can wipe and install clean. Can you get into the OS to execute a format command? After that, you can try your recovery USB or make a generic iso here:
    Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Your Windows license key is in the bios so it should pick it up from there.

This post may help you:
    Windows 8.1 32 bit - fresh install using UEFI USB drive
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 06-15-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links