Thread: I want that darn 8GB recovery partition

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Asus tech support tends to be just regular, and not really tech experts, guys who answer the phone and respond to questions according to what's in their employee Asus manuals... Rarely, you'll get an actual tech who know what they're talking about and can suggest something beyond the company official line, which is usually based on minimizing support costs by not allowing you to do something that may brick the system...

Other companies do this too and it has been a long time problem with getting support...

Thus Forums, such as this one, tend to fill the gap in support instead as knowledgeable users help each other in ways the official channels rarely would want to...

I remember from my days on the Eee Users forum that in just two years I ended up with well over 14,000 posts that I made just helping other Eee PC users with their problems... Including modding and customizing, and there were plenty of other people who regularly helped too... So, unfortunately, this is definitely nothing new with Asus, but their products still tend to be better than most of the competition of the same price range...

On the plus side, forums can have direct impact on the choices companies make... Like the Eee Users forum at its height of popularity managed to get some fairly well known tech bloggers as members and companies like MyDigitalDiscount even had their own section in the board to better cater to users needs...

While this board has at least two Asus reps as members, sorry I forgot their user names but someone else can probably provide that information, that show up from time to time and can sometimes answer questions the official channels are usually much slower in providing...

So things can get done as long as enough of us get together and provide pressure and fellow support...
    Yeah, I know that they were just towing the company line. But they should really say that you do it at your own risk but there is little risk. The way they portrayed it, deleting the partition would brick the device. So I went with the info here on this forum and other PCs I have experience with. I have not tested the USB recovery copy but I do have an extra copy of Win 8 that I'll use if things go terribly wrong.

Would you happen to know on the 32 gb version, why reformatting the c: drive would wipe out the separate 8 gb ROM that supposedly contains the recovery partition? It should be read-only and not be affected. Or is there info on the c: drive that references the ROM that they can't put back making the ROM useless? So they have to put the recovery partition on the c:?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Would you happen to know on the 32 gb version, why reformatting the c: drive would wipe out the separate 8 gb ROM that supposedly contains the recovery partition? It should be read-only and not be affected.
    I don't think it does? And I believe your second point is likely 100% correct.
    Or is there info on the c: drive that references the ROM that they can't put back making the ROM useless? So they have to put the recovery partition on the c:?
    I believe the recovery pointers on a normal 32GB device point a recovery request to the 8GB separate ROM but when Asus repair gets done with it, the pointer is changed to look at the recovery partition they wrote on the C: drive. And the poor little 8GB ROM chip is never seen or heard from again.
    fiat_lux likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    I generally agree with this commet for tech support... but to send a device in on an RMA to repair and have the repair techs screw up the refurbished device is inexcusable...

It's real easy Asus repair... here's the rule.
    If it's a T100 model with 32GB of eMMC, the recovery partition is already on a separate (untouchable 8GB chip), so don't flash the recovery partition to the 32GB drive. So just flash a normal install (without recovery OS) onto the C drive.
    But again, most are only basic techs that just do what the company tells them... Problem is they primarily deal with volume licensing and the company itself doesn't always tell the employees when they change something...

Namely, many new devices being pushed out now are starting to default to WIMBoot and that doesn't require a separate recovery partition at all and many of these will come with 32GB or smaller drives!

Doesn't help that the original 32GB, with separate 8GB recovery partition, probably hasn't been updated since it was originally released and thus the normal practice of using newer image copies would normally automatically exclude them... So, a definite lack of company support but unfortunately, pretty normal for most companies these days... You'd get similar goofs from pretty much all of them... at least for anything in the low budget range and/or rapid product replacement range, which covers most mobile devices... After all, the company makes more money selling you a new product every year than continue to support the old one that is quickly replaced...

Mind, not saying to like it... just understand it... but that's one of the reasons forums like this one do so well and are so important to the fellow users...

Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Would you happen to know on the 32 gb version, why reformatting the c: drive would wipe out the separate 8 gb ROM that supposedly contains the recovery partition? It should be read-only and not be affected. Or is there info on the c: drive that references the ROM that they can't put back making the ROM useless? So they have to put the recovery partition on the c:?

As you can see from that drive partitions image... The 8GB may be separate but the primary drive still contains both the EFI partion, which works with the UEFI, and the bootable part of the recovery... The 8GB mainly contains the recovery image but it's harder to use if you can't simply boot into or F9 your way into running it... though, it can still be done but not as easily...

Mind, since stopping the inclusion of an external bootable medium, like a recovery disc, that unless you make your own backup option right away that anything that interferes with normal booting pretty much might as well amount to bricking the system unless you got another PC to work the recovery options from...

But, like I stated before... forums like this help with such things...

Examples...

[Tutorial] How to simply assign your hidden recovery partition to clean Windows 8.1

Create recovery USB before installing anything?
    rickscheller and fiat_lux like this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post

As you can see from that drive partitions image... The 8GB may be separate but the primary drive still contains both the EFI partion, which works with the UEFI, and the bootable part of the recovery... The 8GB mainly contains the recovery image but it's harder to use if you can't simply boot into or F9 your way into running it... though, it can still be done but not as easily...

Mind, since stopping the inclusion of an external bootable medium, like a recovery disc, that unless you make your own backup option right away that anything that interferes with normal booting pretty much might as well amount to bricking the system unless you got another PC to work the recovery options from...

But, like I stated before... forums like this help with such things...

Examples...

[Tutorial] How to simply assign your hidden recovery partition to clean Windows 8.1

Create recovery USB before installing anything?
    Mine looks like Disk 0 now, with the 100 mb, 700 mb, and 28 gb partitions. Being a refurb, I don't have the Disk 1. So the 100 and 700 mb partitions have to do with booting? I was thinking all I had to do was go into bios and change the boot drive to USB to execute the recovery. What do I really have to do?

Are you having problems with Windows/Office Update eating up disk space? I had 10 gb free at the beginning of Aug and now have about 6.5 free. I only have Comodo Internet Security installed. I've turned of automatic updates and only plan to install the "important" ones. Any other suggestions for getting back or minimizing impact of updates?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Being a refurb, I don't have the Disk 1.
    I'm guessing that (hopefully) you really sort of do... but the refurb process has left the 8GB chip and what's on it hidden to the user. Maybe that was done intentionally... the old out of sight out of mind thing... so people don't keep asking "how do I use that 8GB recovery partition for my programs?" That's not a bug, it's a feature.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    If you're interested! Frombottom to top is the correspondence between me and ASUS online support. This is my second attempt at getting a resolution. The first attempt failed miserably with a copy and paste answer telling me to just send it in for servicing. I feel like it's iRobot where he kept saying "your not asking the right questions" or something to that effect.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________

Hello, Thanks for the reply. So after looking into it a little more I've come across a few things.

1. There is a "hidden" 8gb ROM within the computer that is designed strictly for the recovery partition.
    2. when they re-installed the windows OS at the ASUSTek service center they failed to use the designated ROM drive for the recovery partition.
    3. now out of the 32 gigabytes the system has less than 5gb of space left on the tablet due to the OS and the recovery partition.
    4. After windows updates and apps I will soon completely run of of space on the tablet.

Please confirm whether or not this is true. And if so how can this be fixed. This is obviously a known issue within ASUS and I'm certain I'm not the only customer having this problem.

---------- Original Message ----------

Dear Jeffrey,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

For this status, that will not remove the recovery partition.

If the recovery partition is deleted, the recovery function will work.

You can try to reset the system so that you can reinstall some softwares and remove the files into docking drive.

If you wan to repartion the tablet drive, you will need to use the install disk to reinstall system.

Sorry if any inconvenience this case to you, Hope for your understanding, thanks.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate
    to contact us.
    An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure
    to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
    Vivi Zhou
    ASUS Product Support Team

Sent : 2014/9/13 5:41:41
    To : "techsupport@asus.com"
    Subject : Re:Re:<TSD> Notebook T100TA [ID=RWTM20140911151840396-802]

[CASEID=WTM201409131341412124]

hi, thank you for the detailed reply. The 8 gb partition was added while it was being
    serviced. I wish to know how to remove it. If I fully clean the drive with the partition will that
    remove the windows os as well? also, if I "remove only my files" you said it would
    only remove the first partition. is that the 8gb partition I''m wishing to remove?

To:
    Date:2014-09-12 06:39:24

Dear Jeffrey,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
    My name is Vivi and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For this issue, it is recovery partition.

Do you mean there is no 8GB partition before you send for repair?

If so, please try to reset the system factory setting as follow. Please backup all the
    data you need firstly.

1. Resart your notebook PC then press during POST.

2. Wait for windows to load the Choose an option screen then tap Troubleshoot.

3. Tap Reset your PC.

4. In the Reset your PC screen, read the bullet pionts to learn more about using this
    option then tap Next.

5. Tap your preferred reset option: Just remove my files (This option will delete only
    the first partition, allowing you to keep other partitions (D drive), and create a new
    system partition as drive “C”.) or Fully clean the drive (This option will delete all the
    drive).

6. Tap Reset.

There is an office card with this product, you can find the office key to activate.
    Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate
    to contact us.
    An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure
    to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
    Vivi Zhou
    ASUS Product Support Team
    888-678-3688

DISCLAIMER - All statements, written, illustrated -graphics or any type of
    content/information present within these emails (s) are considered "off the record"/
    confidential and not for publication. All information contained is direct privileged
    communication between the sender and recipient.
    This content cannot be posted, used, copied or replicated in any way without direct
    consent from the sender.

If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy, or distribute this
    message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
    immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.

Sent : 2014/9/11 7:18:40
    To : "techsupport@asus.com"
    Subject : Notebook T100TA
    [CASEID=WTM20140911151840396]
    Apply date : 2014/09/11 07:18:40(UTC Time)
    [Contact Information]
    Name : Jeffrey
    Email Address :
    Phone Number :

[Product Information]
    Product Type : Notebook
    Product Model : T100TA
    Product S/N :
    Date of Purchase : 2014/07/09
    Operating System : Windows 8.1 32bit

[Problem Description]
    Prior to having my device serviced there was only a 700mb hard drive partition. After
    getting the device back there is now an 8gb partition which gives me less than 5gb of
    space available. I cannot even activate the microsoft office that came with the device.
    Additionally, I do not want the MS office program on a removable SD card as they are
    prone to accidentally popping out. I would like the partition removed and the
    computer back the way it was before having it serviced. please assist me in the
    steps to getting the partition removed.
    Last edited by Jeffro321; 09-15-2014 at 05:28 AM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    I'll be interested in the outcome of your ordeal. Sounds a lot like my experience. Bad accent and all...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    So what's the latest on removing the 8gb recovery partition? I have the new version of the 64gb T100 with the Z3775 CPU.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FusiveR View Post
    So what's the latest on removing the 8gb recovery partition? I have the new version of the 64gb T100 with the Z3775 CPU.
    If you have a free USB Flash drive, or even an external HDD, with enough free space then you could simply move the recovery to it and then delete the recovery partition and resize the C" partition to use the added space...
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    If you have the "got a T100 back from repair with 8GB missing" problem, Asus have a tool called Backtracker that will allow you to back up the recovery partition to a USB stick and then delete it.

When you've backed that up it's literally a single click to delete the recovery partition and it automatically adds the space to your C: drive. Takes all of two seconds!

Download it here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...373.1433497585

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links