*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times

Exclamation NEW REVIEW by ZDNet just posted for the ASUS T100

Jim Kendrick just posted his latest review of the ASUS T100...following using it for his first week.

This author is known for being very "real" with his hands on reviews, and also provides useful information for potential and new owners.

Review is here:

Asus Transformer Book T100: One week in | ZDNet
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    The iPad IS an expensive, but well-built, toy. :P My wife has one. While I love it for ease of use and mindless gaming, the T100 is geared straight towards productivity and office, and it does that remarkably well, despite having low power components running a full desktop OS.
    Asus T100TA 32GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    8 times
    j/k has been doing reviews on mobile gadgets like tablets, UMPCs, handtops, and handheld platforms like the PPC and Windows palmtops for a while now, so is skewed towards portable technology which is good.

Something that the T100 cannot do is operate my AR Drone 2.2. Its software is only written for iOS and Android for now.

Microsoft needs to figure out how to live between the two worlds--old OS used for knowledge workers and the new smartOSes that are starting to power everything and outnumbering Windows devices. Android and iOS are going to replace Windows and MacOS someday unless Windows, Apple, and the Linux community breathe life into their operating systems using their new savior, the Bay Trail processor.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Funnel View Post
    j/k has been doing reviews on mobile gadgets like tablets, UMPCs, handtops, and handheld platforms like the PPC and Windows palmtops for a while now, so is skewed towards portable technology which is good.

Something that the T100 cannot do is operate my AR Drone 2.2. Its software is only written for iOS and Android for now.

Microsoft needs to figure out how to live between the two worlds--old OS used for knowledge workers and the new smartOSes that are starting to power everything and outnumbering Windows devices. Android and iOS are going to replace Windows and MacOS someday unless Windows, Apple, and the Linux community breathe life into their operating systems using their new savior, the Bay Trail processor.

Have you tried bluestacks or another android emulator? It works on my T100, but it is a bit laggy. IDK if it will work with the app you are referring to however.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    I prefer to use the Metro-ized version of Internet Explorer over the one in the Desktop shell. It's been tweaked and optimized for tablet usage on the Metro side, and works quite well.
    Microsoft's ban on plugins for browsers in Metro is a complete non-stater for me. No way I could browse the web without an adblocker and lastpass. I'll stick with the desktop versions.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bgeery View Post
    Microsoft's ban on plugins for browsers in Metro is a complete non-stater for me. No way I could browse the web without an adblocker and lastpass. I'll stick with the desktop versions.
    Check out "Tracking Protection Lists". It's not quite as good as Adblock but gets the job done in the Modern UI.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrimoldy View Post
    True, but you can't do it with a full-blown Mac or PC Desktop/Laptop either. For that matter, a Blackberry or their sorry excuse for a tablet can't either. It all comes down to the likelihood of users wanting to use those platforms with the AR Drone. Give it time and there'll be a Windows 8 applet (or whatever they call the Metro apps).

Isn't that whet they're trying to do with Windows 8.1? Microsoft is in a tough spot of trying to be the be-all end-all OS for desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones. Their view (whether you agree or not) is that a single, unified OS experience is the best idea. I can certainly see the merits. If they can make it work, users can transition between a phone, tablet, desktop, and laptop without needing to readjust or re-learn a new OS or UI.

Again, it seems that's what MS is trying to do right now. Being an old-school DOS/Windows user, I absolutely despised my Windows 8 experience on a desktop and laptop. I thought it was going to be THE WORST on the T100. My stance has changed significantly. Windows 8.1 is actually quite nice on the T100. I prefer to use the Metro-ized version of Internet Explorer over the one in the Desktop shell. It's been tweaked and optimized for tablet usage on the Metro side, and works quite well. I still spend a GREAT DEAL of time in the Desktop shell, but I'll exit to Metro to run IE or Netflix or some other apps.

iOS is going to need to be radically revamped to keep up. If Apple moves the OSX experience to the iPad, they may have something. Until then, the iOS platform is just too limited for productivity. That, and the fact they have the damned file-system locked-down. Sure, you can play great games on iOS and many other things. Wake me up when you can run a virtual machine on iOS. How about just being able to print? I know.. I know.. Air Print... Yeah, more new hardware for more $$. Wake me up when you can connect a USB Optical drive, USB serial adapter, or USB HD to an iOS device. Maybe some day. Of course, Apple will pitch this as though it's paradigm shifting (again.. blah... blah.. blah)
    Agree on all counts.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    Check out "Tracking Protection Lists". It's not quite as good as Adblock but gets the job done in the Modern UI.
    I'll keep that in mind, if the Metro browsers become compelling in the future.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bgeery View Post
    I'm using chrome in metro mode. It isn't as smoothly responsive as metro IE, and it lacks pinch to zoom, but on the other hand it supports all extensions, plugins and chrome apps, it syncs its bookmarks with my desktop chrome browser on other machines, and it seems to load pages faster. Metro IE is smoother to use with touch input, but it's too dumbed down. I want all the abilities of a desktop browser, but with touch input; not some semi-lobotomized product.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    I run both the Chrome and IE11 browsers on my T100.

Depending on what I am doing on the web, and what sites I intend to visit, I use one or the other.

Both browsers are set up as METRO tiles on my main page, and are easy to start up (and very fast). I continue to be impressed by the sheer speed of these units.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links