Thread: windows 7 on t100

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    What I do know is that they 32,000 or so PCs and laptops in our company are getting upgraded to WIN8 and Office 2103 Professional some time in the next 12-15 months.

XP is considered an orphan OS by corporate America, and security concerns beyond just viruses are accelerating users and companies off that platform.

WIN7 will indeed be around another couple of years in general, but based on a faster pace of security controls for corporate users...the shelf life on WIN7 will likely be shorter than 2020. In our case it will. Another Fortune 500 company I'm familiar with has taken the same position - WIN7 is going to be out in their organization by the end of next year.

Realizing this is a huge expense to upgrade machines and their OS versions as well, the urgency to upgrade is driven more by security and operational controls than general usability - at least in the business world.

The point in this thread is the consideration of the value of putting WIN7 on a WIN8 tablet. That's certainly debatable.
    As far as removing Win8 and replacing with Win7, I agree. You are better off just buying a Win7 laptop. There are still some around.

But if you have essential software that runs on Win7 and won't run on Win8, I can see having a Win7 virtual machine running under Win8. I set up a virtual XP machine and it works well for my purposes.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    XP will be around for a while. Just because Microsoft stops issuing security patches (if they indeed do) doesn't mean people will stop using it. I have 3 XP laptops, including my corporate one, and no plans to change any time soon. Most corporations are using secure VPN and most of them have their machines locked down so users don't have admin rights to add or change anything or go to any "nefarious" websites. Plus XP is pretty darn secure by now, most of the viruses these days are coming by way of 3rd party software like Java, Adobe flash etc.
    Anyone continuing to run internet connected XP machines after this April may soon find them infected with malware. It's a slow motion train wreck.

Microsoft will effectively be delivering XP exploits, themselves, on a monthly basis. The reason is that there is so much code commonality among Microsoft's various OS's. This means that patches and updates for Vista, 7, and 8 will quickly be reversed engineered to determine if those patched vulnerabilities also exist in XP. In the cases that do, there will be immediate zero day, forever-day exploits for XP. There will be no security patches for these exploits, ever! There will be no way to fix them, ever!

If the venerability is bad enough, there may be no way prevent certain infections from occurring. There have been past infections categorized as "drive by" attacks. A user needs do nothing to get infected other than visit an infected web site. Often times, a legitimate site unknowingly hosting the infection.
    It's the same in XP or Win 7 or Win 8...as long as you are careful what you open and where you go, you won't have a problem. Win 7 & 8 are using basically the same Microsoft Security Essentials (I think they renamed it Windows defender or something) but it won't protect you from your own carelessness.
    No, XP won't be anywhere near as safe as Vista, 7, or 8. Yes, running locked down XP systems with active anti-virus will be safer than a vanilla XP install, but not anywhere near that of Microsoft's actively supported operating systems. Even when security flaws are found, there will be no patches for XP. I understand that enterprises will be offered the opportunity to pay a tremendous sum of money for security updates, but that will only last a short time.

Microsoft has already delayed the XP security termination at least once. Since they make no revenue at all from XP users and haven't for most of a decade, they have little incentive to move the date back yet again.

Those who keep an internet connected XP machine live after April are asking for real trouble.
    Last edited by Banise; 12-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    As far as removing Win8 and replacing with Win7, I agree. You are better off just buying a Win7 laptop. There are still some around.

But if you have essential software that runs on Win7 and won't run on Win8, I can see having a Win7 virtual machine running under Win8. I set up a virtual XP machine and it works well for my purposes.
    Makes sense...and likely the only motivation to do it.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    XP will be around for a while. Just because Microsoft stops issuing security patches (if they indeed do) doesn't mean people will stop using it.
    Oh, MS is definitely dropping support for XP and it won't be just security patches... end of Extended Support means all support ends for the OS!

So, no new drivers, no free tech support, no updates, no patches, nothing!

Sure, you can still run it but it'll be like using any of the other obsolete Windows OS like Windows 95/ME, 3.11, etc.

Want to run anything new, you'd be out of luck... Want to use a new printer or pretty much any new hardware, again, you'd be out of luck...

As a individual you can probably continue to use XP for quite awhile, I know people still using Windows NT for example, but most companies won't be able to afford to... anything goes wrong and they'll have to pay a small fortune to get any tech support and the cost of upgrading the entire company just to use new hardware or software at a later date will cost the company more than starting to phase the upgrades in slowly starting now or very soon.

Besides, the Windows 8.1 update has succeeded in finally getting people to start taking Windows 8 more seriously and the upcoming 8.2 update that should come out before the end of 2014 should finally satisfy most of the critics...

By then, MS will also have released the metro version of Office and other pro apps should start coming out. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see change start to accelerate by the end of next year...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Yes and no. For most users...no new features means the OS is virtually ended.

Security updates alone = life support for running on PC's...nothing more.

WIN8 is now considered the current Windows version - all new devices come with it installed (right or wrong).
    There are lots of new PC's still on sale with Windows 7. If you check NewEgg, or just look in the business/enterprise sections of Lenovo's or Dell's websites, for example. Asus is still selling some new PC's with Win 7 even.

I do think Microsoft is going to push hard against OEM's to discourage this soon though, if they aren't already. On the other hand, OEM's and a lot of customers are going to be pushing the other way...

I use Win 7 and Win 8.1 every day and like them both. I do feel like Windows 8 has a lot more personality than Win 7 though. I find using Windows 7 pleasant, but using 8.1 is actually fun.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    XP will be around for a while. Just because Microsoft stops issuing security patches (if they indeed do) doesn't mean people will stop using it. I have 3 XP laptops, including my corporate one, and no plans to change any time soon. Most corporations are using secure VPN and most of them have their machines locked down so users don't have admin rights to add or change anything or go to any "nefarious" websites. Plus XP is pretty darn secure by now, most of the viruses these days are coming by way of 3rd party software like Java, Adobe flash etc.

It's the same in XP or Win 7 or Win 8...as long as you are careful what you open and where you go, you won't have a problem. Win 7 & 8 are using basically the same Microsoft Security Essentials (I think they renamed it Windows defender or something) but it won't protect you from your own carelessness.
    I disagree. Windows XP is not nearly as secure as Win 7 or 8. It takes a substantial going over and a bunch of third party software and a corporate firewall to make it even close to as safe as a Win 7 computer is straight out of the box. When support ends it's only going to get worse.

I can't imagine having to use Windows XP, it would feel like a punishment to me at this point. The handful of times I have to deal with it at work an month I kind of wrinkle my nose with disgust, not even kidding. LOL

We've got a few XP machines lingering in my office and despite being pretty locked down people STILL manage to get malware on them periodically just from a few misguided clicks. It's ugly junk and it needs to die already. Suitable only for third world countries at this point and even they should seriously consider moving to Linux if they can't afford Win 7 IMO.
    Maine_Coon likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I would want Win 7 on VHD or Virtual Box. Some programs and drivers just won't work on Win 8. I need an excuse to sell my X200s.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    Anyone continuing to run internet connected XP machines after this April may soon find them infected with malware. It's a slow motion train wreck..
    Yup. I'd say at least 75% of China is about to be in deep doo-doo.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    There are lots of new PC's still on sale with Windows 7. If you check NewEgg, or just look in the business/enterprise sections of Lenovo's or Dell's websites, for example. Asus is still selling some new PC's with Win 7 even.
    Many of us call those "clearance items"...
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    curiosity killed the cat .. so I looked into this .. I'm almost positive you could install win7 on this. you can turn off uefi secureboot and use Rufus (ISO to bootable USB freeware) to create a win7 bootable flash drive. Touchscreen may not work, as well as a few other drivers, but who is to say we couldn't get them working... depends on why you want win7 .. what you would use it for .. as a straight netbook with no tablet or what. if you have 64gb you could probably dual boot win8 and win7, or win8 and Ubuntu, which is also possible on this device but no WiFi, touch, or display drivers out of the box.

so, what's the next step for you? lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links