Like Tree7Likes

Thread: windows 7 on t100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    believe it or not in the manufacturing industry I see win7 and Winxp on touchscreens all the time.
    if this has uefi that is a problem for loading earlier os's .. but if looking for a challenge one could always google around to see possibilities.

I'm happy with my device using win8 so no guinea pigging for me.
    but maybe when I get bored and that need to tinker arises .. id give it a shot.

also as for virtualization .. this has 2gb of ram .. id imagine if would be slow as *edit* tbh.
    Last edited by Swipe; 12-23-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: forum language guidelines

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrick View Post
    believe it or not in the manufacturing industry I see win7 and Winxp on touchscreens all the time.
    if this has uefi that is a problem for loading earlier os's .. but if looking for a challenge one could always google around to see possibilities.

I'm happy with my device using win8 so no guinea pigging for me.
    but maybe when I get bored and that need to tinker arises .. id give it a shot.

also as for virtualization .. this has 2gb of ram .. id imagine if would be slow as *edit* tbh.

I believe it, but there's also a reason why Windows XP and Windows 7 tablets NEVER sold very well, and it's not just the price.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    I believe it, but there's also a reason why Windows XP and Windows 7 tablets NEVER sold very well, and it's not just the price.
    Yup.

Fact is Windows XP is near end of life for support...and WIN7 is perhaps a year away from the same status. With WIN8 out on all new Windows-based desktops and tablets....WIN7 has an expiring shelf life too.

I can understand some folks wanting to have certain WIN7-compatible programs running on their tablets - that makes sense. But the fact is that sometime in the months ahead - if the software isn't updated to be WIN8 compatible...it will be considered legacy.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    I hate to say it, with XP going end of life in 4 months, pretty much all of corporate America (and everywhere else) is just getting onto windows 7.
    No large company is going to roll out Win8 anytime in the near future. Especially with the metro style start.

Microsoft has support until 2020 for windows 7. It costs a ton of money to migrate from one os to another (not the cost of the os .. the cost of it staff, testing, training, time, new hardware)
    Most companies will stay on 7 until the end. Its stable, and well supported.

As far as 7 on a T100, I could see a want for it.. but personally, I'm starting to love win8.1 on a tablet. That is coming from a person that hated 8 before I got my t100. It truly is a touch OS
    ASUSFAN0001 likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by john_m View Post
    I hate to say it, with XP going end of life in 4 months, pretty much all of corporate America (and everywhere else) is just getting onto windows 7.
    No large company is going to roll out Win8 anytime in the near future. Especially with the metro style start.

Microsoft has support until 2020 for windows 7. It costs a ton of money to migrate from one os to another (not the cost of the os .. the cost of it staff, testing, training, time, new hardware)
    Most companies will stay on 7 until the end. Its stable, and well supported.

As far as 7 on a T100, I could see a want for it.. but personally, I'm starting to love win8.1 on a tablet. That is coming from a person that hated 8 before I got my t100. It truly is a touch OS
    Excellent post!

That pretty much sums things up, including corporate America's adoption timeline.

As one of the least enthusiastic early users of Windows 8...I'd also agree with you that it grows on you the more you use it.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Yup.

Fact is Windows XP is near end of life for support...and WIN7 is perhaps a year away from the same status. With WIN8 out on all new Windows-based desktops and tablets....WIN7 has an expiring shelf life too.
    Actually, Windows 7 support will continue until 2020. New feature updates will end in a year (not that there have been any for quite awhile), but security updates will continue for over 6 more years.

XP security updates will stop in just 4 months unless Microsoft relents again. XP systems are about to become the biggest magnets for malware in the history of computing. Comparably, Win 7 and Win 8 systems will be safe as houses.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    Actually, Windows 7 support will continue until 2020. New feature updates will end in a year (not that there have been any for quite awhile), but security updates will continue for over 6 more years.
    Yes and no. For most users...no new features means the OS is virtually ended.

Security updates alone = life support for running on PC's...nothing more.

WIN8 is now considered the current Windows version - all new devices come with it installed (right or wrong).

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    and WIN7 is perhaps a year away from the same status.
    Windows 7 Mainstream support is good till about Q2 of 2015 but MS won't end extended support until 2020...

MS rule is a OS needs two active replacements before it can be phased out, the failure of Vista let XP live well past it's intended period for well over a decade but unless MS fails to come out with W9 then 2020 is the end of support year for Windows 7...

I wouldn't put Win7 on the T100 though, Windows 7 doesn't support any of the latest features and is not a Always Connected Standby capable OS... So max battery life and power sipping states won't be supported, along with being harder to use with the touch screen...

Besides, the upcoming 8.2 update should finally address the remaining concerns about Windows 8 and eliminate the remaining reasons to consider Windows 7... at least for new hardware...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    XP will be around for a while. Just because Microsoft stops issuing security patches (if they indeed do) doesn't mean people will stop using it. I have 3 XP laptops, including my corporate one, and no plans to change any time soon. Most corporations are using secure VPN and most of them have their machines locked down so users don't have admin rights to add or change anything or go to any "nefarious" websites. Plus XP is pretty darn secure by now, most of the viruses these days are coming by way of 3rd party software like Java, Adobe flash etc.

It's the same in XP or Win 7 or Win 8...as long as you are careful what you open and where you go, you won't have a problem. Win 7 & 8 are using basically the same Microsoft Security Essentials (I think they renamed it Windows defender or something) but it won't protect you from your own carelessness.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    What I do know is that they 32,000 or so PCs and laptops in our company are getting upgraded to WIN8 and Office 2103 Professional some time in the next 12-15 months.

XP is considered an orphan OS by corporate America, and security concerns beyond just viruses are accelerating users and companies off that platform.

WIN7 will indeed be around another couple of years in general, but based on a faster pace of security controls for corporate users...the shelf life on WIN7 will likely be shorter than 2020. In our case it will. Another Fortune 500 company I'm familiar with has taken the same position - WIN7 is going to be out in their organization by the end of next year.

Realizing this is a huge expense to upgrade machines and their OS versions as well, the urgency to upgrade is driven more by security and operational controls than general usability - at least in the business world.

The point in this thread is the consideration of the value of putting WIN7 on a WIN8 tablet. That's certainly debatable.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links