Thread: Traveling with my T100: Confessions of a True Road Warrior

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    12 times

Talking Traveling with my T100: Confessions of a True Road Warrior

All, thought I’d put together my thoughts on traveling with the T100. I had a bogus first unit, but my 2nd unit has been great for travel on the go, albeit with the right software and accessories. If you like to be:

1) Mr. or Mrs. Productive on the cramped plane while the person in front of you is fully reclined…
    2) Agile when flying from meeting to meeting without lugging around the 10 pound company issued laptop…
    3) Maximize your hotel for presentations, movies, and reliable internet…

Then READ ON! I’ll share my experiences with the cables, hardware, and other accessories that have led to being successful on the go! With a 10+ hour battery life the T100 is your friend both abroad and at the office.

Hardware

Mediabridge 10 Foot Power Cable - There are some reviews that say some cables aren’t wired right for the wattage required by the T100, but this one works great and charges fast, even while the device is in use. Those hotel plugs can be far away and so can your clients’ outlets across conference room tables. Get the 10 footer and you won’t be sorry.

Verbatim Wireless Mini Nano Travel Mouse – The T100 leaves plenty of room on the plane tray table for use with this bad boy. Trackpad on the plane is frustrating and getting some serious work done requires a mouse to quickly navigate those excel columns. While I’m a diehard fan of Logitech’s Anywhere MX, this little guy fits the bill for a mini mouse on the go and is very reliable. Only downside is this will use up your dock’s USB port. I didn’t go the Bluetooth route due to poor overall reviews, lack of small form factor selection, and intermittent responsiveness.

Mini-USB to USB Cable – This will give you an extra USB port for using a USB wired LAN, external USB drive, or any other USB device. That second USB port is convenient if using an external mouse that uses your USB port.

ASUS USB Wired Ethernet LAN – Hotel WIFI is spotty, and your clients may require you to wire in. Since the T100 has no built in Ethernet port get this and you’ll be safe. The ASUS brand worked fine for me without having to install drivers, and is priced comparable to other reliable brands.

AGPTek Micro HDMI to VGA Female 1080p HD – You still need VGA in today’s world for those old dinosaur projectors. I tried and returned the ASUS brand because the connector was too big to use it and charge the T100 simultaneously (the Micro HDMI port and Mini USB charging port are so close together). The ASUS brand was putting too much stress on the connectors forcing them apart. After a long plane ride your battery will be low so you will want to charge the device while doing presentations as powering external VGA uses more battery. This AGPTek cable was the price of the ASUS and did a comparable job. It also allowed plenty of room for the 10 FT mediabridge charging cable when using it simultaneously.

Ultra Thin Mouse Pad – I won’t link to a specific one, they are easy enough to find, but get a thin one so it fits in your office notebook without adding any bulk. There always comes a time for a mouse pad, you never know what crazy surface you will be dealing with on the go.

BlueRigger 6FT Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable – This HDMI cable was inexpensive, solid, and worked great. I highly recommend it for plugging into your HDMI compatible hotel or client TV. The T100 is great for movies when you don’t want to watch those crazy hotel channels although it uses battery pretty fast for movies.

Cable Matters Micro HDMI to HDMI Male to Female Adapter – Sometimes clients or hotels have a cable that is already hard connected to the device, this adapter quickly adapts it your T100. It’s cheap and small so best to have it when it comes in handy.

Brookstone Sound Isolating Earbuds – The T100 is no amplifier and my regular buds and earphones were being drowned out by the background noise of the plane. These gave plenty of volume and isolated noise for a low price. They also came with 3 different size ear inserts. If you are into the noise cancelling, expensive comfort headphones then by all means, but for something quick and dirty these fit the bill.

3.5 MM Audio Cable – Any 3.5MM stereo audio cable will connect to stereos or speaker systems where Bluetooth is unavailable.

VGA Male to Male Extension Cable – Any MM VGA Cable will work for connecting to monitors, projectors, and the like, although most projectors already come with this, it’s good to have a spare.

2 in 1 Bundle Combo Ac Adapter + Car Charger – For elite road warrior status, one must have a backup AC adapter and car charger. This bundle comes highly recommended by ASUSFAN0001.

1 TB Silicon Power Military Grade Rugged External USB 3.0 Hard Drive – Silicon Power makes highly rated external drives that are military grade. Some models are waterproof and shock proof. This drive comes highly recommended by balama.

Software

Outlook: I upgraded to Office 365 Professional so I could have Outlook and it works great. OWA just doesn’t cut it for true e-mail junkies. When you install it, Windows just reconfigures the license on your machine, no need to uninstall/reinstall what is already there.

File Sync: Chances are you want to synchronize files to the cloud across devices. I had problems with Box Sync 4.0 where it would hang up the machine. Google Drive appears to be OK and others have had no problems with DropBox.

VideoLAN VLC: I found this software lighter weight for playing back videos, and it also allowed the sound to be amplified to 125% of the original so you could hear it better on the plane. It’s a free download.

General T100 Aviation Tips

Airplane: As I mentioned before, this device can be fully extended even when the person in front of you is fully reclined, that makes it gold. You can always ask the person in front of you to notify you if they choose to recline since you have a laptop, it’s a polite way to make them think twice about it.

Flight Attendant: Now that tablets and phones are allowed on planes during takeoff and landing, flight attendants are looking for laptops with keyboards. Make sure you have it undocked during take-off and landing. Yes, I’ve had a flight attendant try to have me close up the T100 but popping it into tablet mode made it OK.

Airport Security: The T100 does not have to be taken out and put in its own bin for airport security. I’ve gone through dozens of security checkpoints and haven’t been asked once or flagged because I left it in my bag.

With the T100 I can be at the office on the plane wtih a small form factor that lasts many hours. Using the airplane WIFI, I can be on Lync chatting my colleagues while doing powerpoint, excel, and word, in addition to running a constant ping so I know when the wifi is out and when the internet is good enough to stream music from Pandora or Slacker. The T100 is my favorite travel buddy I've been looking for at a great price!
    Last edited by brentvw; 12-20-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Wow! Nice writeup and some good suggestions for accessories. Sounds like you are getting maximum bang for your buck!

I was wondering about that airport security issue. Good to hear they didn't make you take it out of the bag.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Nice writeup!

The only things I'd add (as another road warrior) are the value of a backup charger (I keep my original at home) and a cigarette lighter charger as well (for long drives as a passenger).

The microHDMI to HDMI adapter is something I also got early on...a good idea.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm not a road warrior, but man your list of accessories will be tough for me to keep up with. I mean, I'll lose them in a heartbeat

Awesome that you make good use out of your T100.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vboyz103 View Post
    I'm not a road warrior, but man your list of accessories will be tough for me to keep up with. I mean, I'll lose them in a heartbeat

Awesome that you make good use out of your T100.
    By the way....these are now BACK IN STOCK at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T1...ds=PWR%2B+T100

I've used these now for 3 weeks including while traveling - both work quite well, and are supposedly up to EOM specs.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brentvw View Post
    Verbatim Wireless Mini Nano Travel Mouse – The T100 leaves plenty of room on the plane tray table for use with this bad boy. Trackpad on the plane is frustrating and getting some serious work done requires a mouse to quickly navigate those excel columns. While I’m a diehard fan of Logitech’s Anywhere MX, this little guy fits the bill for a mini mouse on the go and is very reliable. Only downside is this will use up your dock’s USB port. I didn’t go the Bluetooth route due to poor overall reviews, lack of small form factor selection, and intermittent responsiveness.
    I like the Logitech Anywhere MX too, but think it's better for on the go because it'll work on any surface and most other mouses won't... Like on glass and you can never be sure what surfaces you may have to work with on the go... Besides, too small a mouse and your hand can start cramping after awhile...

Btw, alternative to bluetooth is WiFi mouse... Connects over WiFi and thus frees the need for a USB dongle but is more reliable than a Bluetooth connection...

Quote Originally Posted by brentvw View Post
    VideoLAN VLC: I found this software lighter weight for playing back videos, and it also allowed the sound to be amplified to 125% of the original so you could hear it better on the plane. It’s a free download.
    Amplification limit for VLC depends... If playing audio then yes, 125%... but, if playing video then it can go up to 200%... even though it still says 125%...

Or, you can set it to show up to 200% by going to...

Tools -> Preferences (Show settings = All) -> Interface -> Main interfaces -> Qt Then at the very bottom of the right panel set the Maximum Volume option. Save, exit and restart VLC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Great write up now my amazon wish list is full with your suggestion!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    got one with encryption great add on to the bag
    also have a 1TB USB 3.0 shockproof travel drive from silicon power

pretty much road warrior proof

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Nice review and thanks for the list of must needed things. I'm still testing mine and preparing it for a lifetime of travelling around. The idea is leaving my laptop at home and use this one while i'm away, that and a Blackberry should do the trick. I found it very helpfull that the bluetooth mice are giving trouble, so i will have to use a wireless one connected with a HUB... Getting too wired for a small device that's going too be a downer for me.

The BIG test is going to be next week and we'll see how it goes.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Becosemsaida View Post
    Nice review and thanks for the list of must needed things. I'm still testing mine and preparing it for a lifetime of travelling around. The idea is leaving my laptop at home and use this one while i'm away, that and a Blackberry should do the trick. I found it very helpfull that the bluetooth mice are giving trouble, so i will have to use a wireless one connected with a HUB... Getting too wired for a small device that's going too be a downer for me.

The BIG test is going to be next week and we'll see how it goes.
    I am using a Bluetooth mouse (HP x4000) and for the most part it works fine. The only issue is sometimes when the machine goes to sleep for too long and you wake it up, the mouse won't work until you disconnect and re-pair it in the Bluetooth settings. Not all the time. There are some settings that might affect this, like if you allow the machine to turn off the device at sleep, or allow the mouse to wake up the machine from sleep etc. I haven't played around with them too much. One time when I started messing with the Bluetooth settings it messed up my Bluetooth audio, the music kept skipping and I had to do a system restore back to the last restore point to fix it. Since then I haven't messed around with it. But this is a minor inconvenience, worth it to keep the USB port free.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links