Thread: Bricked after installing my HP Printer

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Bricked after installing my HP Printer

just want to warn everyone about this issue.
    i've tried to install my HP OfficeJet 7500 E910 printer but the T100 wasn't able to connect to it (not via WiFi and not via USB)
    so i tried installing my older printer which is an HP Deskjet F2280 using the latest software from HP's website (which was stated as supported by windows 8.1 32bit).
    and as you can guess that didn't go well.
    the installation reached a point where it asks you to restart your computer in order to continue the installation.
    so i clicked ok and let it restart.
    now windows is stuck on the loading screen and keeps checking for a solution to why windows cant boot up.
    i've tried everything and now i'm trying to do a windows Refresh (hopefully it will let windows actually boot up)
    and if it won't help i'm going to have to reformat my tablet :/

so everyone, be careful about the software you install on this device.
    windows 8.1 is pure *edit* >
    and by the way, punkbuster STILL is giving me issues on this tablet.
    bah i wish i could install windows 7 on this tablet and finish all this headache with softwares bricking the device >.>
    Last edited by Swipe; 12-14-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Forum Language Guidelines

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    So you blame Windows for something caused by something YOU installed? How about instead blaming the thing you installed for causing the problem? It's the more likely candidate.

As for your fix, why are you using a mallet to fix the problem? Just boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver, or if worst comes to worse, system restore to the point before you installed it. Then contact HP and ask them why their driver installer is a) so crap that it needs to reboot your PC in the first place (it totally shouldn't need to do that), and b) so crap that it kills your tablet after rebooting.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    dude your situation is not bricked.... just stuck that's ez fix. brick is when ur hardware is completely toasted... no way to recover.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Outdate or problem drivers are a common source of lockups on all sorts of hardware - even desktop PCs.

For an older printer, it's entirely possible an appropriate driver for Windows v8.1 isn't really compatible.

If the driver is more than a few months old...odds are it's not going to work.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    0 times
    i blame windows 8.1 for being very bad in running software that worked PERFECT in windows 7, and even in windows 8.0...
    the difference between windows 8 and 8.1 isn't that huge that it would suddenly make it incompatible.
    besides, you cant blame a the reason that a software that isn't ""officially"" confirmed to work on windows 8.1 has issues because it was only officially confirmed to work to a pre-updated version of windows (windows 8)
    regarding my issue, i am talking about the software for the printer itself not the driver.
    the driver believe it or not is actually Microsoft's driver (Microsoft Corporation).
    and you obviously think i didn't try to boot using safe mode?
    that was the first thing i tried, the tablet just refused to boot up and automatically launches a windows boot up repair (which does nothing).
    i eventually was able to fix it, using windows refresh.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    0 times
    it was stuck on startup repair no matter how i tried to boot it up (with safe mode or other options).
    what makes it a brick is that unless you want it to be a paperweight that just keeps doing startup repair over and over and over again you will have to format windows and reinstall everything.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    a restore point and/or starting in the Win8 equivalent of safe mode will put this right, if you can't apply either of those solutions then go ahead and set up an RMA

Quote Originally Posted by Lordi22 View Post
    just want to warn everyone about this issue.
    i've tried to install my HP OfficeJet 7500 E910 printer but the T100 wasn't able to connect to it (not via WiFi and not via USB)
    so i tried installing my older printer which is an HP Deskjet F2280 using the latest software from HP's website (which was stated as supported by windows 8.1 32bit).
    and as you can guess that didn't go well.
    the installation reached a point where it asks you to restart your computer in order to continue the installation.
    so i clicked ok and let it restart.
    now windows is stuck on the loading screen and keeps checking for a solution to why windows cant boot up.
    i've tried everything and now i'm trying to do a windows Refresh (hopefully it will let windows actually boot up)
    and if it won't help i'm going to have to reformat my tablet :/

so everyone, be careful about the software you install on this device.
    windows 8.1 is pure *edit* >
    and by the way, punkbuster STILL is giving me issues on this tablet.
    bah i wish i could install windows 7 on this tablet and finish all this headache with softwares bricking the device >.>

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    thank you - - too many of us are throwing the word "bricked" around on this forum. I don't remember seeing even one report of a device that was really bricked - - thank goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by vboyz103 View Post
    dude your situation is not bricked.... just stuck that's ez fix. brick is when ur hardware is completely toasted... no way to recover.

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Many of us are not familiar with hacker terminology. So let's give a new guy a break and offer help without ripping his head off.

As posted above, a bricked device is more or less a paper weight and rare as well. We usually describe Lordi's issue as Soft Bricked. In this state the Tab is either locked or in a bootloop. These type of conditions usually can be rectified.
    helpifIcan likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links