Thread: Bricked!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Bricked!

Had mine less than 24 hours. Nothing but trouble and I fix PCs as a side line. It will be returned as not fit for purpose.
    It spent more time as a paperweight than as an a up and running PC. There is a serious intermittent fault that freezes the keyboard and/or screen, depending what it's been doing and won't switch on after a glitch until its been in the off state for about 20 mins. One issue was a constant refresh of the startup screen. Stuck in loop and could use the charm button to switch off as the icons were removed from the screen before I could select off. Had to use the power switch.
    Had to factory reset it once, had all the updates from Asus including bios 220 and windows updates. Worked for a few hours then bricked again. Tried to use it this morning and Chrome was just a black screen with a thick white band down the rhs. Charms would appear but they were inoperable and the keyboard was dead again. Had to turn it off with the power button and then it wouldn't restart. Battery was full. Just tried it again whilst typing this and it's all back and fine. Totally unreliable. I have 2 other Asus laptops, win 7 and 8.1 and several Mobos and graphics cards. This T100TA is not a good advert for them. Maybe I just got a Friday afternoon build?

Gaz

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    Your problems are serious and clearly annoying, but it is an exaggeration to describe the device as bricked when you can power it on and off and you can partially open applications. So, are you going to do a return or an exchange?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    sounds like defective eMMC.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    If the problems continue, I suggest exchanging it. There does seem to be quite a few defective models out there. When it does work, it's way more useful and way more powerful than anything I've used on iOS and Android.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine_Coon View Post
    sounds like defective eMMC.
    This. Sounds like the symptoms of a bad hard drive, or eMMC in this case.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by t100 View Post
    Your problems are serious and clearly annoying, but it is an exaggeration to describe the device as bricked when you can power it on and off and you can partially open applications. So, are you going to do a return or an exchange?
    I accept that the bricked term should have been 'intermittently bricked' as there were times when it just would not start. I assume that when it was turned off by the power switch, some of the circuits stay live, unlike a desktop. These live circuits may have been on some sort of timeout before it restarted itself.

I returned it for a full refund. The shop wasn't interested in the fault. Presumably it will get repackaged and sold on again as shop soiled.

I agree with other posts here that when it was working, it was quick, unfortunately it just wasn't reliable enough. I'll wait a few months and see if more failures like this get reported or acknowledged by Asus and with a bit of luck they will have been cured. As I said, maybe I just got a Friday afternoon build!

Gaz

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gazandwiz View Post
    I accept that the bricked term should have been 'intermittently bricked' as there were times when it just would not start. I assume that when it was turned off by the power switch, some of the circuits stay live, unlike a desktop. These live circuits may have been on some sort of timeout before it restarted itself.

I returned it for a full refund. The shop wasn't interested in the fault. Presumably it will get repackaged and sold on again as shop soiled.

I agree with other posts here that when it was working, it was quick, unfortunately it just wasn't reliable enough. I'll wait a few months and see if more failures like this get reported or acknowledged by Asus and with a bit of luck they will have been cured. As I said, maybe I just got a Friday afternoon build!

Gaz
    Curious....might you disclose where you bought it?

The only I ask is that there appears to be a pattern in several threads of a batch of units from Wally World (Walmart) showing the same problems.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post

The only I ask is that there appears to be a pattern in several threads of a batch of units from Wally World (Walmart) showing the same problems.
    I'm in the UK and bought it from John Lewis dept. store.

Gaz

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gazandwiz View Post
    I'm in the UK and bought it from John Lewis dept. store.

Gaz
    Thanks for that info.

Perhaps that was one of the early batches (known to have some issues). I've learned over time that this experience is much like buying a new model car as soon as they show up at a dealer....months later...you find out that first bunch still had some "kinks" that needed to be corrected.

Empathetic for your bad experience...but I can assure you that the T100's of late are solid units. I have been quite pleased with mine.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    Just to be clear - I HATE WALMART. That said, we should probably slow down with the attempts to link Walmart with malfunctioning machines. After seeing this idea a couple of times, I almost expect to see a new thread suggesting Walmart made a secret transaction with Asus on a grassy knoll in downtown Dallas. On the other hand, I don't think there is a way to rule out an early bulk purchase being a cluster for defective units. Most importantly, there is no evidence to suggest Asus and Walmart are not honoring their return/exchange/repair policies.

Maybe the most worthwhile discussions are about the device and its functioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links