Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cracked Screen less than 1 month -- Punt?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Not to hijack the point of the thread, but I have to disagree regarding Android. I have owned 2 Android phones and both have been fantastic. I have not experienced lagging or any other kind of issues. And I use a ton of Android apps. In terms of the app stores, Android is light years ahead of Windows. Of course Windows 8.1 also supports all the old legacy desktop apps so that is a plus. But if you just compare Android vs. Windows Metro, it's no contest. From what I understand the Nexus 7 had issues because the earlier versions of Android didn't support TRIM so the disk I/O eventually slowed to a crawl. That was fixed in more recent versions of Android and on the new Nexus 7 tablets.

That being said, I'm really liking the T100 and Win 8.1 as well. I just hope this new flood of Windows tablets spurs some app development because they are pretty sparse right now.
    Different strokes for different folks. I did hear that a recent update fixed the TRIM issue. I guess my complaint is that they never should have shipped a tablet without TRIM in the first place. To me that is typical of the kind of duct tape and baling wire approach of Android and that's what I don't like about it. The Google Play store definitely has vastly more apps than the Windows one right now, though I don't know how many flashlight and fart apps a man needs. I care more about quality than quantity. There are some quality apps for Android though. Still at the end of the day, if I wanted a phone OS on a tablet, I'd get an iPad. Much less flaky, much smoother, much better apps etc. Most Android apps are STILL designed for phones. There are nowhere near the number of tablet-specific apps as iOS.

I definitely understand why people like Android. I've just had too many negative experiences with it, came back gave it 3rd, 4th and 5th chance only to be disappointed again and again. It's on the back burner for me for a while.

Of course Windows has a long, long way to go to catch up on the tablet apps front, but I'm OK with that. I think it's inevitable that they will and having access to the huge library of robust desktop apps that are more capable than lightweight phone OS apps is a huge advantage, at least for me. So far I've found pretty everything I wanted software wise for this tablet. Though I'm not a big tablet gamer. Maybe if I was I'd notice the lack of apps more. Then again if I was a tablet gamer, I'd have gotten an iPad because it's by far the best tablet for games.

Anyway I think it's great that we have three choices. Choice always benefits the consumer in the end. There's something out there for everyone!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    Still at the end of the day, if I wanted a phone OS on a tablet, I'd get an iPad. Much less flaky, much smoother, much better apps etc. Most Android apps are STILL designed for phones. There are nowhere near the number of tablet-specific apps as iOS.
    Good point, I have never owned an Android tablet, only phones. The T100 is my first tablet of any kind.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    It's true that a soft plastic screen would not crack or shatter but it's also going to lack the nice crisp high contrast screen look you get with glass. It will get dozens of tiny scratches on it after a while and begin to look even foggier and who knows what that would do to the touch sensitivity.
    Yes, plastic touch screens stink, but I wasn't suggesting that. I was suggesting a standard Windows laptop with a standard soft plastic screen and a built-in keyboard might be a better choice in this particular case.

Touch screen interfaces aren't always the best option. Unless it's a touchscreen, glass is not really necessary.
    SocialCarpet likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    Yes, plastic touch screens stink, but I wasn't suggesting that. I was suggesting a standard Windows laptop with a standard soft plastic screen and a built-in keyboard might be a better choice in this particular case.

Touch screen interfaces aren't always the best option. Unless it's a touchscreen, glass is not really necessary.
    Oh I see. Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes I agree a touch screen isn't always the best choice. Though glass does make for a much nicer screen appearance than that glossy plastic that is never quite as perfectly smooth as glass or the matte finish stuff that kind of ruins your contrast. Still I am not crazy about having glass on anything portable since that seems to be the first thing to break. I can't wait until they come up with something with the same properties as glass for these screens that is truly unbreakable. It's a portable device, you should be able to put it in a suitcase or even drop it accidentally a short distance without severely damaging it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links