Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cracked Screen less than 1 month -- Punt?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I would also like to know what they told you to do with the broken one ? Are they sending you a box to return it to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrimoldy View Post
    So SquareTrade is just going to give you Amazon cash to (presumably) get another. What do they require you to do with the broken one? I got the SquareTrade coverage as well and I'm curious for future reference. (Broke the screen on my TF201 without coverage like that. Replacement was a technical challenge).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    What was the reason that Asus gave you for it not part of the ADP. If they are not going to cover it if bought from Amazon I might have to go with the Square trade insurance. Not wanting to have a cracked screen and nothing done about it , thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I actually don't know on the glass vs. plastic.

I called ASUS last night and the customer service rep said my device was not part of ADP.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    A Nexus 7 screen is going to crack if it gets dropped in a backpack too. Gorilla/hardened glass is designed primarily to resist scratching, it offers only a little protection against impact. The Nexus 7 has a much smaller (but much higher resolution) screen and much like the T100, it is a great value. It's also made by Asus. Personally I've had....lets say mixed results with Android devices. I've owned 3 Android phones and two Android tablets (one was the 1st gen Nexus 7) For what it's worth, I would be surprised if I buy another Android device. I've just found the OS to be ugly, it lags, the apps, OEM skins and OS all look like different UI themes. It has gotten much better, but I just got tired of being promised the lagging or any of the other issues would be fixednthe next update or whatever ROM the fanbois are sackriding this week. I switched to Windows Phone two years ago and Win 8.1 for my tablet now and never looked back, i couldn't be happier. The Nexus might be a good choice for content consumption and if you like tinkering and troubleshooting or have a very limited budget...but if you want to get work done, along with your play and you want a mature, robust proven OS in a device like this, Windows 8.1 is THE choice. I'd rank iOS at a distant second place and Android in third place due to it's general flakiness. Just my two cents.

CLIFFS NOTES: A Nexus 7 will break just as easily and is less useful and Android is meh (IMO). Get another T100, you know you want to!
    rscheller likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    The real take away may be that most touch screened devices have glass screens. It doesn't matter if it's made by Microsoft, Asus, Apple, or Google. The screens are generally made of the same kinds of glass in order to prevent scratching. This does make them more prone to shattering.

For a user that wants to dump their computer into a bag, a traditional, plastic screen, non touchscreen laptop may be a more robust solution. A soft plastic screen will be able to handle tougher treatment than a glass screen.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    A Nexus 7 screen is going to crack if it gets dropped in a backpack too. Gorilla/hardened glass is designed primarily to resist scratching, it offers only a little protection against impact. The Nexus 7 has a much smaller (but much higher resolution) screen and much like the T100, it is a great value. It's also made by Asus. Personally I've had....lets say mixed results with Android devices. I've owned 3 Android phones and two Android tablets (one was the 1st gen Nexus 7) For what it's worth, I would be surprised if I buy another Android device. I've just found the OS to be ugly, it lags, the apps, OEM skins and OS all look like different UI themes. It has gotten much better, but I just got tired of being promised the lagging or any of the other issues would be fixednthe next update or whatever ROM the fanbois are sackriding this week. I switched to Windows Phone two years ago and Win 8.1 for my tablet now and never looked back, i couldn't be happier. The Nexus might be a good choice for content consumption and if you like tinkering and troubleshooting or have a very limited budget...but if you want to get work done, along with your play and you want a mature, robust proven OS in a device like this, Windows 8.1 is THE choice. I'd rank iOS at a distant second place and Android in third place due to it's general flakiness. Just my two cents.

CLIFFS NOTES: A Nexus 7 will break just as easily and is less useful and Android is meh (IMO). Get another T100, you know you want to!
    Not to hijack the point of the thread, but I have to disagree regarding Android. I have owned 2 Android phones and both have been fantastic. I have not experienced lagging or any other kind of issues. And I use a ton of Android apps. In terms of the app stores, Android is light years ahead of Windows. Of course Windows 8.1 also supports all the old legacy desktop apps so that is a plus. But if you just compare Android vs. Windows Metro, it's no contest. From what I understand the Nexus 7 had issues because the earlier versions of Android didn't support TRIM so the disk I/O eventually slowed to a crawl. That was fixed in more recent versions of Android and on the new Nexus 7 tablets.

That being said, I'm really liking the T100 and Win 8.1 as well. I just hope this new flood of Windows tablets spurs some app development because they are pretty sparse right now.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Updates:
    - Kid decided laptop would be better. Based on many of the responses here he came to the right decision
    - Square Trade refunded me $398. Pretty fair it was less than a month old, and I still probably ate $50 or so. That is if you count the money spent for the protection itself. It's kind of hard to expect a full refund on that amount, it's insurance you decided to purchase. So I am fine with it
    - I had a choice of check, PayPal or Amazon GC. The Gift Card had a 3.5% (I think) bonus so I went that route assuming I'd buy the laptop or something else through Amazon
    - Wife suddenly wants a tablet, I am wondering, we have S4 phones, she has a paperwhite, and now wants a tablet. Sheesh, for a non-techie..... She has long chemo sessions every 3 weeks and gets tired of trying to do internet stuff on the smart phone (Stage 4 Cancer). So based on poking around I really think Nexus 7 seems like a great product for her.

I am so pissed I just re-upped my sprint for 2 years when I got the 2-for-1 pricing for 4 Samsung S4s.. I've ignored Tablets for a long time and I hardly use the phone or txt messaging on my S4 it's simply my web browsing phone. Hell I could have gotten a tablet and had much better functionality for what I use it. I am pissed because I didn't know about it, and Sprint apparently is really crappy about changing out when they have an existing contract.

you guys and others make the Nexus sound intriguiing. Another option is bailing out of the phone plane and negotiaing the exit fee down form the $350 or $375 whatever it is.

I did like the Asus though. I think if you are going to put any of these in a book back you have to have some hard outer shell.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Updates:
    - Kid decided laptop would be better. Based on many of the responses here he came to the right decision
    - Square Trade refunded me $398. Pretty fair it was less than a month old, and I still probably ate $50 or so. That is if you count the money spent for the protection itself. It's kind of hard to expect a full refund on that amount, it's insurance you decided to purchase. So I am fine with it
    - I had a choice of check, PayPal or Amazon GC. The Gift Card had a 3.5% (I think) bonus so I went that route assuming I'd buy the laptop or something else through Amazon
    - Wife suddenly wants a tablet, I am wondering, we have S4 phones, she has a paperwhite, and now wants a tablet. Sheesh, for a non-techie..... She has long chemo sessions every 3 weeks and gets tired of trying to do internet stuff on the smart phone (Stage 4 Cancer). So based on poking around I really think Nexus 7 seems like a great product for her.

I am so pissed I just re-upped my sprint for 2 years when I got the 2-for-1 pricing for 4 Samsung S4s.. I've ignored Tablets for a long time and I hardly use the phone or txt messaging on my S4 it's simply my web browsing phone. Hell I could have gotten a tablet and had much better functionality for what I use it. I am pissed because I didn't know about it, and Sprint apparently is really crappy about changing out when they have an existing contract.

you guys and others make the Nexus sound intriguiing. Another option is bailing out of the phone plane and negotiaing the exit fee down form the $350 or $375 whatever it is.

I did like the Asus though. I think if you are going to put any of these in a book back you have to have some hard outer shell.
    Very sorry to hear of your wife's illness.

As for a tablet, take a look at the lg gpad, the form factor is slight!y larger than the 7 inch tabs but not huge,the price is very good for the unit. I have the tf700 and am looking to get a better unit but since I have a tablet I will wait till CES to see what gets announced. If I needed or wanted a tablet today, it would be the lg gpad. If you need internet just activate the hotspot feature of the phone.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    So with square trade it sounds like just a one time replacement in cost since if you buy another one you would need to buy insurance all over again. With your new one you are getting are you going with square trade again? I was thinking they would replace the t100 as many times as you needed over the 2 yrs if any cracked screen or problems .. this changes my thoughts about paying the 80$ that amazon has for the insurance on their site

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mixxy231 View Post
    So with square trade it sounds like just a one time replacement in cost since if you buy another one you would need to buy insurance all over again. With your new one you are getting are you going with square trade again? I was thinking they would replace the t100 as many times as you needed over the 2 yrs if any cracked screen or problems .. this changes my thoughts about paying the 80$ that amazon has for the insurance on their site
    Right they declared it wasn't worth repairing and thus the $398 completed the contract. I actually went with the $499 Acer that had some excellent reviews at SlickDeals. I also purchased the two years of Microsoft ADP, but that was $199, I probably should go back and ask Square Trade what they would charge? I am sure I can cancel the Microsoft one, but I did buy the unit in store.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    The real take away may be that most touch screened devices have glass screens. It doesn't matter if it's made by Microsoft, Asus, Apple, or Google. The screens are generally made of the same kinds of glass in order to prevent scratching. This does make them more prone to shattering.

For a user that wants to dump their computer into a bag, a traditional, plastic screen, non touchscreen laptop may be a more robust solution. A soft plastic screen will be able to handle tougher treatment than a glass screen.
    It's true that a soft plastic screen would not crack or shatter but it's also going to lack the nice crisp high contrast screen look you get with glass. It will get dozens of tiny scratches on it after a while and begin to look even foggier and who knows what that would do to the touch sensitivity.

As nice as it would be to have a screen that would never break, I don't think that's the way to go, I'm not even really sure you could go that way and have an accurate, responsive touch screen if you wanted to. Plus the truth is we spend more time than ever looking at little screens, people have gotten quite used to having that crystal clear screen and a nice hard, highly polished surface to glide their fingertips across.

They are working on synthetic sapphire for screens and a number of other materials that will be much less shatter prone, we'll just have to be patient until they start hitting the market.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links