*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Marketing spin is marketing spin.

I'll be at CES in just over 3 weeks...and will have the chance to talk directly to ASUS staff/engineers as was the case last year. If I learn anything definitive, I'll share here.

I actually have a list of questions about the T100 and a myriad of other topics about their products now and in the future - after all - CES is mostly about the future anyway.
    Sandi9264 likes this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    It doesn't feel like plastic to me. AFAIK no one uses plastic on tablet screens at this point, it shows scratches too easily. I suspect it's just scratch resistant hardened glass similar to Gorilla Glass but probably not as good. That's pretty much the standard material manufacturers use when Gorilla Glass isn't in the budget.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm 100% certain it's not plastic. It's definitely glass. What kind, I don't know. Probably the same cheap type used on China tabs.

I confirmed no oleophobic coating. You can test it too. Get a little soapy water on your finger and try to spread it on the screen. It'll bead up and won't stick if there's a coating. Isopropyl alcohol will also bead up and won't stick. On the T100, both leaves a film = no coating.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    I'm 100% certain it's not plastic. It's definitely glass. What kind, I don't know. Probably the same cheap type used on China tabs.

I confirmed no oleophobic coating. You can test it too. Get a little soapy water on your finger and try to spread it on the screen. It'll bead up and won't stick if there's a coating. Isopropyl alcohol will also bead up and won't stick. On the T100, both leaves a film = no coating.
    Agreed, I think it's just some non-branded hardened glass like all the other devices that don't have Gorilla Glass use.

FWIW, you can apply the same oleophobic coating that other tablets/phones come with. The stuff is for sale online, you can just apply it at home.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    FWIW, you can apply the same oleophobic coating that other tablets/phones come with. The stuff is for sale online, you can just apply it at home.
    I don't think it's the exact same stuff. From what I've read, factory oleophobic coatings are a fluoropolymer similar to teflon and is baked on at high temperature.

The add-on coating I'm thinking of is made by Fusso and I'm pretty sure it can't be the same stuff because it applies with no heat. It's pretty expensive and I have no idea how long it lasts.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    I don't think it's the exact same stuff. From what I've read, factory oleophobic coatings are a fluoropolymer similar to teflon and is baked on at high temperature.

The add-on coating I'm thinking of is made by Fusso and I'm pretty sure it can't be the same stuff because it applies with no heat. It's pretty expensive and I have no idea how long it lasts.
    I wonder if the Fusso stuff is just a repackaging of the liquids used in some newer car 'waxes'. They're not wax, they're more like clear acrylic coatings that can be applied with a rag. They definitely cause water to bead and last a very long time. Also much cheaper than the Fusso product.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah, I've heard of people using Rain-X as a lower cost alternative to Fusso, but I'm not sure how well that would work because automotive products are designed to be hydrophobic (resists water) not oleophobic (resists oil).

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times

Ah...

I've never tried the Fusso stuff. It's not really much of an issue for me as far as the tablet goes. I would like to refresh the coating on my Lumia 920 though. Any idea how well it works?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    I haven't any personal experience with it, but the reviews on Amazon look pretty good. Only 6 reviewers though. One reviewer mentioned he noticed after a month that it wasn't as effective. I never bought it because it seems rather expensive for something that will be worn off in a couple months.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Ain't gonna happen.

We're a Preferred Microsoft Partner and got this as a special deal.
    That's just Microsoft's standard Home Use Program, available to ANY Microsoft partner. I have a few copies myself through it, no biggy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links