Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times

OK, this thing is just driving me insane...

As you may know, my story with BIOS upgrade was a nightmare. The initial flash using EZFlash ended up bricking the device, exchange at a retail store for a new one. Now, I'm trying everything that I can to get Winflash going but man this thing just keep refusing to flash giving the "Cannot allocate buffer" error all day.

I did:

1. A fresh clean install of 8.1 didn't help...
    2. I found out just yesterday (I don't know why it took me this long lol) that it comes with an 8GB hidden with a factory image of Windows 8.1. So thought there were hopes, I went and refreshed (wiped out everything) and restored that image. But guess what, the dam n thing just gave me the same error on the really fresh factory image reset.
    3. Checked with ASUS tech support, and let's just leave it at that...

I don't remember being so "scared" like this in upgrading BIOS in my many years of using PC lmao...I'm at 214 and will refused to up it to 220 using EZFlash, NEVERRRR...freaking ASUS.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    Been there, done that...if you are still inside the return/exchange window for the retail outfit, take advantage of it and get a new unit. Once you have a new unit, follow the best practices here of upgrading the BIOS with Asus's update utility BEFORE you do anything else (i.e. Windows updates, application downloads, or even signing in with your msn/live/hotmail account). Signing in with an existing account changes the factory Win 8.1 install with whatever changes you might have made last time you were signed in on a T100 or any other Win 8.1 device you might have used.

If you are outside the return/exchange time limit, you are probably best off setting up an RMA and shipping it out asap.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    I have not read about many other folks following the documented BIOS update process steps and then having an issue. It is a straight-forward process using the prescribed BIOS flashing tool ASUS provides.

People are here to help, but at some point...only so much can be done.

That said, once you are amuck....RMA is likely your only cure.
    Last edited by ASUSFAN0001; 12-11-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmm thats odd. I updated from 214 to 220 in like 5 minutes using winflash. Hope you can work it out.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by t100 View Post
    Been there, done that...if you are still inside the return/exchange window for the retail outfit, take advantage of it and get a new unit. Once you have a new unit, follow the best practices here of upgrading the BIOS with Asus's update utility BEFORE you do anything else (i.e. Windows updates, application downloads, or even signing in with your msn/live/hotmail account). Signing in with an existing account changes the factory Win 8.1 install with whatever changes you might have made last time you were signed in on a T100 or any other Win 8.1 device you might have used.

If you are outside the return/exchange time limit, you are probably best off setting up an RMA and shipping it out asap.
    Could you please elaborate on this sign in first procedure?

Getting a t100 tomorrow, once powered up is there a local administration account one uses or an existing Microsoft account to use when doing the BIOS update?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    These are the best practices that work for most if not all, the account doesn't matter because you can set up the machine without signing in:

1. Charge up the battery for around 8 hours
    2. Install 220 BIOS update (how can one tell what BIOS version they have?)
    3. Turn OFF Windows auto updates, and manually apply required updates.
    4. Adjust touch pad gestures.
    5. Adjust screen colors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dmako View Post
    Could you please elaborate on this sign in first procedure?

Getting a t100 tomorrow, once powered up is there a local administration account one uses or an existing Microsoft account to use when doing the BIOS update?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Your Error "Cannot allocate buffer" could have something to do with your Virtual Memory settings..
    mine are set to:
    Automatically Manage box checked
    Min - 16MB
    Recommended - 1933MB
    Currently Allocated - 1984MB

personally i used Winflash without problems

sure hope you get this figured out.
    Asus T100 64GB
    Asus MeMO Pad HD7
    Asus Nexus 7 fhd
    Acer A210
    HP-TP 32GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    These are the best practices that work for most if not all, the account doesn't matter because you can set up the machine without signing in:

1. Charge up the battery for around 8 hours
    2. Install 220 BIOS update (how can one tell what BIOS version they have?)
    3. Turn OFF Windows auto updates, and manually apply required updates.
    4. Adjust touch pad gestures.
    5. Adjust screen colors, etc.
    I'm missing something here perhaps once I receive it will become clear

But doesn't one have to log into Windows to get to the asus site to download the new BIOS?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times

Being desperate as I am, I actually thought and verified about your point regarding not signing in. Here's what I did...

1. Restored a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 from the 8GB partition. I know it's ASUS factory image because it comes prebuilt with all drivers, even winflash. I know it's not my MSDN copy because by default, MSDN install will not have all ASUS drivers.

2. First I tried with login to outlook.com account and FLASHED using winflash...FAILED with Buffer error
    3. Now, I was like ok what if I don't setup wifi (previous bios file downloaded) and not signing into my outlook and setup a fresh machine. The setup wizard allows me to do just than. So technically, at this point the system is ASUS pure as it can be right? Then I attempted to flash using winflash just as I did when I tried with #1 scenario. FAILED AGAIN with buffer overflow....

I don't know what they h3ll I did wrong to have Winflash mistreat me like this. LOL

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    I think it is RMA time for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vboyz103 View Post
    Being desperate as I am, I actually thought and verified about your point regarding not signing in. Here's what I did...

1. Restored a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 from the 8GB partition. I know it's ASUS factory image because it comes prebuilt with all drivers, even winflash. I know it's not my MSDN copy because by default, MSDN install will not have all ASUS drivers.

2. First I tried with login to outlook.com account and FLASHED using winflash...FAILED with Buffer error
    3. Now, I was like ok what if I don't setup wifi (previous bios file downloaded) and not signing into my outlook and setup a fresh machine. The setup wizard allows me to do just than. So technically, at this point the system is ASUS pure as it can be right? Then I attempted to flash using winflash just as I did when I tried with #1 scenario. FAILED AGAIN with buffer overflow....

I don't know what they h3ll I did wrong to have Winflash mistreat me like this. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links