Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Photos of 500GB dock disassembled

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    I have actually considered modding my keyboard to hold an mSATA 256GB drive. I was going to tap off of the USB port in the keyboard and using a connector off of a USB3-mSATA enclosure.

I have been using one of these with my T100 for external fast storage. Amazon.com: CY SA-105 50mm mini PCI-E mSATA Solid State SSD to USB 3.0 hard disk case Enclosure Red Color: Computers & Accessories
    it's fast and easy on the battery and pretty darn small.

but, as it has been pointed out, my 64GB SSD+ 64GB extreme SD card are all I need 90% of the time. I only seem to need external storage when I am not at home and want to watch a movie or something. I just transfer it from external to internal and delete it after im done... it can transfer even an 8GB mkv in seconds at about 48MB/s

For now, if I need to take mass storage with me, I'll bring an external USB3 drive or my full sized laptop (with 2TB in it).

that being said, I have not been in a rush to mod my little toy just yet.

If asus sold the keyboard/HDD dock as an upgrade for my T100 64GB, I'd most likely buy one if the price was right. I'd also switch it to an SSD for battery savings, shock proof, and speed.
    Last edited by john_m; 12-23-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
    michael9413 and Ussler like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo RT
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Agree.

In my case...I have a simple, small, lightweight 500GB USB drive I can plug in anytime I need it (and it only cost $34). Easy Peasy.
    How to you do that? So bro? Can u creat and make a 500GB docking from normal docking?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    He is refering to just an external USB3 HDD instead of modding a dock.

rscheller
    Quote Originally Posted by john_m View Post
    I have actually considered modding my keyboard to hold an mSATA 256GB drive. I was going to tap off of the USB port in the keyboard and using a connector off of a USB3-mSATA enclosure.

I have been using one of these with my T100 for external fast storage. Amazon.com: CY SA-105 50mm mini PCI-E mSATA Solid State SSD to USB 3.0 hard disk case Enclosure Red Color: Computers & Accessories
    it's fast and easy on the battery and pretty darn small.

but, as it has been pointed out, my 64GB SSD+ 64GB extreme SD card are all I need 90% of the time. I only seem to need external storage when I am not at home and want to watch a movie or something. I just transfer it from external to internal and delete it after im done... it can transfer even an 8GB mkv in seconds at about 48MB/s

For now, if I need to take mass storage with me, I'll bring an external USB3 drive or my full sized laptop (with 2TB in it).

that being said, I have not been in a rush to mod my little toy just yet.

If asus sold the keyboard/HDD dock as an upgrade for my T100 64GB, I'd most likely buy one if the price was right. I'd also switch it to an SSD for battery savings, shock proof, and speed.
    The item you linked here is just an SSD enclosure... right? What SSD module did you install into this enclosure?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all I'm new to the forums and this Thread, I just purchased a t00ta-b1-gr with keyboard dock from ebay (haven't gotten it yet), but i'm already considering modding the keyboard. I'm thinking of using the SSD drive that a macbook air uses.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...jhQ~~60_57.JPG

+

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA...T~FHg/$_12.JPG

+

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNj...UNMd-/$_57.JPG

wondering what the thoughts are on going this route?

Thanks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Do you have a spare one? If not, WAY to expensive. Just get a 2.5" 7-mm height SSD and slap it in there. That is going to be your cheapest route and you will be VERY unlikely to notice the performance difference. The issue you are likely to smack in the face with is, unless I am mistaken, the t100ta-b1-gr has the regular keyboard dock, NOT the one with the hard drive in it. The one without the hard drive does NOT have the requisist USB to SATA daughter board, nor does it (AFAIK) even have the port on the mainboard within the keyboard dock to accept a daughter board.

The BEST you could do would be to bodge something up to connect to the USB3 port INTERNALLY, to then connect a USB2/3 to SATA bridge to an SATA drive internally.

A heck of a lot of work, for honestly little return. You need an SSD in the dock, get a T100 model with HDD dock, that or find the HDD dock seperate from the T100 on eBay or something.

Or just get a BIG honking micro SD card. Sure that won't be as fast...but it should still give you heaps of storage.
    Swipe likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    @OP... just exactly what are your wants/needs (assuming you can do it) to add more storage?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks! that's good to know because i suspected that i'd have to lose my external usb 3,.0 port to make it work. i don't want to lose that.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    You don't have to, you can solder in connections to the existing port.

Hacking a USB hub to add internal ports to a Toshiba Satelite (or other laptop)

It requires a LOT of bodging, but the end result is, you can retain the existing port and add 1 or more extra ports internally. Keep in mind, it is going to have to be a port powered hub and you'll want a USB3 one, also since you'll have extra draw on there from an internal drive and also whatever is plugged in externally, you'll want to account for that. I don't know if the USB3 port on the dock can truely output 7.5w as per USB3 spec, but figure the drive taking from .1-4w depending on what it is doing at the time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links