Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

On the fence about keeping...

After missing the $299 deals, I ended up buying the T100 at Walmart which ended up being $404 after tax.
    I just purchased a "certified refurbished" XPS 12 (haswell) using a dell coupon which ended up being $601 after tax.

For the price I paid this ended up being only a $197 difference...the Dell has a bigger 12.5 inch screen, 1080P HD display, faster processor, double the memory, a better keyboard which is also backlit, a better trackpad, overall better build quality, and arguably better ongoing support. Granted it doesn't come with an Office license but I'm not too worried about that...I haven't received the XPS 12 unit yet, its supposed to come later this week and I plan to compare the two before deciding which one to return.

Any thoughts/advice ?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hayesb2 View Post
    After missing the $299 deals, I ended up buying the T100 at Walmart which ended up being $404 after tax.
    I just purchased a "certified refurbished" XPS 12 (haswell) using a dell coupon which ended up being $601 after tax.

For the price I paid this ended up being only a $197 difference...the Dell has a bigger 12.5 inch screen, 1080P HD display, faster processor, double the memory, a better keyboard which is also backlit, a better trackpad, overall better build quality, and arguably better ongoing support. Granted it doesn't come with an Office license but I'm not too worried about that...I haven't received the XPS 12 unit yet, its supposed to come later this week and I plan to compare the two before deciding which one to return.

Any thoughts/advice ?
    Your personal preferences should guide you.

You can get the T100 at the Microsoft Store for $349, as well as other places..so you could save a little money over the price you paid.

For me, the Office 13 value-add on the T100 is a big deal. To others it might not be important.

In my case, the smaller size and weight are important. To others, the bigger size may be a preference.

Not sure anyone can give you "advice" per say...it really comes down to what YOU prefer and think you will use more often.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Yea I understand its a personal preference as far as weight and size go...but honestly there isn't a big difference in the size/weight between the two.
    I also forgot to mention the XPS12 has a bigger faster SSD harddrive as well.
    I guess I'm not looking for advice, just thoughts from anyone perhaps that owns an XPS 12 etc.

FYI - The price is $399 in the MicrosoftStore for the 64GB T100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    Just me ok? I would just take the T100 over the Dell because of the fact that T100 can detach and it's a great thing for mobility. I don't own the Dell XPS12 but judging from the pics, you can't detach it so when carrying around you also haul that kb with you, right?

I used to love hauling my 15" macbook pro around the house, but having used my Nexus 7 for a while (now a brick), I want tablet type of mobility.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    i have an idea.
    keep both.
    sooner or later you will see which one you prefer day-by-day.
    then sell another one.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hayesb2 View Post
    FYI - The price is $399 in the Microsoft Store for the 64GB T100
    Just as an FYI....that price changes. I've seen it at $299, $399, and $349. Since I have some friends "on the lookout" for a T100...I check prices daily at multiple retailers online. Amazon had it for 3 days around Black Friday @$299, and I've seen it twice since for $349 there as well. They also change prices daily and run "specials". Same holds true for Best Buy. Just mentioning it to save money.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    I also say they're not really comparable, because each is designed to do things the other is not. For myself, I find that I use the T100 more as an ultrabook than a tablet (in other words, I almost never undock it), so if you're like me you might be better off staying with the XPS 12. If you do think you'll use it as a tablet, though, then stick with the T100. I did want to use the T100 as a tablet but it's not really as good at that as I wanted it to be... the app support just isn't there yet and I actually didn't realize how much of a negative a 16:9 screen is for a tablet until I got my T100. So mostly I do use the T100 in desktop mode as a mini-laptop, and if you've got an extra $200 to spend, there are probably better options for that use. (Including, probably, the XPS 12.)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    The XPS will unquestionably be a better "laptop".

The draw of the T100 is that

a) It is a tablet, thus making it a convertible. It's a 2-in-1. That itself is one of its draws.

b) It includes the capability of becoming a "laptop" at no extra cost -- the keyboard is included!

c) It includes Office 2013.

d) It is reasonably powerful for the price.

e) It is extremely compact.

It's a versatile machine. Period. If that isn't enough for you, then the device is not for you.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
    The XPS will unquestionably be a better "laptop".

The draw of the T100 is that

a) It is a tablet, thus making it a convertible. It's a 2-in-1. That itself is one of its draws.

b) It includes the capability of becoming a "laptop" at no extra cost -- the keyboard is included!

c) It includes Office 2013.

d) It is reasonably powerful for the price.

e) It is extremely compact.

It's a versatile machine. Period. If that isn't enough for you, then the device is not for you.
    Well said!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    The main draw for me is long battery life, but still good x86 performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links