Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times

Question North America (Milpitas, California) RMA experiences?

Can anyone tell us about their RMA experiences with the North America service center in Milpitas, Californa? I am now in RMA land and interested in knowing what I should expect.

In a chat session, a first level support rep told me the turnaround time is normally 5 to 7 business days from receipt of a device. The RMA instructions were the usual: pack the equipment carefully and remove unnecessary accessories like SD cards and power adaptors (unless the RMA is for a power problem). They ask you to sign a checklist that details the equipment you are sending.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    My experience was dreadful for the most part. The FedEx took 1 week to get there. Then after a few days, there was still no update status on their website. I contacted them and they claim they will update it, but another call and still no update. Further, no one at the tech support or their manager could get any solid information as to the status of the device. No amount of yelling at them help either. In the end, I finally got the tablet back after 3 weeks and it seems to be working fine. But the RMA was a very sour experience and one I could have avoided if I just sent the tablet back to the store that I bought it from right away.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times

RMA experience

Thank you for your response. It helps me know what to expect. My take away is it will likely be two to three weeks before I get my device back. It will be at the service center by Dec. 12 so it should be all said and done by New Years Day or sooner.

I think you could have gotten it to California in less than one week from anywhere in the lower 48 states by paying more money. US Priority Mail with $400 worth of insurance cost me $15.00 from the midwest. Assuming a two week turnaround and 3 or 4 days for their Fedex ground return shipping, I should be good for New Years Day. I am a little worried about the progress tracking because Asus commits to the information apperaing one day after they receive the equipment. It doesn't sound like that's what you experienced. I don't plan to do any yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by phice View Post
    My experience was dreadful for the most part. The FedEx took 1 week to get there. Then after a few days, there was still no update status on their website. I contacted them and they claim they will update it, but another call and still no update. Further, no one at the tech support or their manager could get any solid information as to the status of the device. No amount of yelling at them help either. In the end, I finally got the tablet back after 3 weeks and it seems to be working fine. But the RMA was a very sour experience and one I could have avoided if I just sent the tablet back to the store that I bought it from right away.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times

post sale support

Inside the 30-day return/exchange period, I would have skipped the step of contacting Asus for support. Walmart has a more liberal return/exchange policy than the B&Hs and Amazons of the world. Most of them won't accept returns or exchanges on any computer equipment that is not factory sealed. I am hoping for a quick turnaround. If I get to close to my date for leaving town, I will get a replacement from Wally World or Best BUy and take a $100 hit for reselling the refurbed RMA. I figure it should be worth at least $250 to $300 with 10 months of warranty left on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrimoldy View Post
    Post-sale support is really my biggest concern with this unit.

Since I got my Transformer Prime close to two years ago, I've read quite a number of dreadful stories of post-sale support over at XDA Developers.

The T100 that I presently have is my second. I bought my first from Wally-World. It would not power on and the charging LED blinked amber, very slowly, when plugged in. I called support the day after I bought it. It quickly became obvious there was no over-the-phone solution. The tech said that he could set up an RMA for me. After I stopped laughing, I took it back to Wally-World for a refund. They were out of stock on the 64GB so I ordered from Amazon instead.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    It's just too bad that you need to consider those options. Aren't there decals on the box touting Asus's commitment to the product and swift support? Wally World has a 15 (or is it 14) day return policy. I will no longer buy devices like this from a purveyor that only allows factory-sealed returns. How do you know how much you'll like it until you've had it for a few days, at least? How do you know that it won't be D.O.A.? This is where member stores like Costco and Sam's have a significant advantage. I'm cool with having tight return policies on music and software. Items like this? Not so much...
    As a retailer, I'm going to explain from that position. I'm over 50, so I will speak of times long gone. Up until about 1990 companies hardly took returns at all. Maybe a 5 or 7 day return policy. I think the first item i ever returned in my life was around 1995. In the early 80's i worked for a huge retailer (like sears) and we saw about 2 returns at most a week that were not return to shelf for sale items. Never ever did a tv, electronic or appliance get taken as a return, it went to service. Returns now amount to (try before you buy) as people just think they have a right to return anything for any reason. Whether its a legitimate defect or buyers remorse. it used to be if it was defective, you either lived with it, tossed it out or dealt with an authorized repair system over the phone and if you didn't like it you sold it.
    Then to entice customers stores started to offer longer and more lenient return policies. RTV kills your margins. Stores pay for shipping to the store and shipping to send back an open item. Many manufacturers (ones we deal with) do not allow us to take returns and want all customers to contact them directly for RMA so if we exchange or return the item its on us at that point, which means we have lost money. Our rep for that company may issue a field credit to make us whole, but not guaranteed. Just to process returns at big box store takes a fully staffed department and so not only do they loose the sale, loose their margin, but spend money to process you as a customer. The manufacturer does not compensate the store for this. The reason stores take your id when you return something is that you are added to a database of unwanted customers. We turn away some customers as some customers just are more trouble than they are worth. I wish all retailers worked this way and i believe it will be the future. The customer is not always right. Stores don't want customers that are are habitual returners. Amazon is interesting as they are in the business of selling stock and the fact that they sell merchandize is a by product of their stock sales so losses on merchandize are not a problem for them. However many items sold on amazon are just a seller using amazon as a storefront, so those returns impact the seller.

As a retailer, I hate returns. As a consumer I hate that junk gets past quality control. But I believe buyers remorse is more prevalent than actual defective products. I don't believe that any consumer has a right to use a return policy to use it as "see if they like it" time. Or to return it one place and buy it cheaper somewhere else. I would like to see Stores implement store credit only on all returns. If you don't like it that's your problem not the retailers, you brought it you own it unless it's truly defective.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    I think I can remember maybe twice having to get a PC serviced since the late 1980s. Not counting work PCs purchased and maintained by employers over the years, I've personally owned probably two dozen. So yes, I agree, it's too bad I have to consider these options. I really enjoyed the PC while it worked. My 25+ years in IT has me convinced the problems I had were software/firmware rather than hardware. I think Asus repair will probably update the BIOS, possibly reload the OS and then ship the device back to me. I could have probably figured it out on my own but I don't like doing desktop support in my spare time. The problems I and other owners are having, in my opinion, have more to do with being early adopters than anything else. Think about it, Win 8.1 and the T100 are each only a few weeks old.

I was surprised at how high the prices are for used Transformers on ebay right now. They are selling for more used on ebay than they are new at Walmart/BestBuy/B&H - strange. I notice also in the Microsoft store that Surface is discounted but T100 is not. T100 was out of stock until recently on Microsoft store. Demand is high.

It's just too bad that you need to consider those options. Aren't there decals on the box touting Asus's commitment to the product and swift support? Wally World has a 15 (or is it 14) day return policy. I will no longer buy devices like this from a purveyor that only allows factory-sealed returns. How do you know how much you'll like it until you've had it for a few days, at least? How do you know that it won't be D.O.A.? This is where member stores like Costco and Sam's have a significant advantage. I'm cool with having tight return policies on music and software. Items like this? Not so much...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links