Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 32GB or 64GB???

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    For myself, more is always better. That's because, I tend to use my devices until they come to a slow painful death. The 1st thing I did after buying the 64GB T100 was buy a 64GB micro SD card. Where all my programs get installed on the external SD card, so only Apps and Windows reside on the internal 64GB eMMC. As of now I have plenty of space.

However, since I tend to keep my devices for quite a few years because there's always a use for a specialized device, I've come to expect the size of Windows will grow over time. So while Win 8.1 might fit nicely on the 32GB today, I'm thinking ahead to Windows 9 and Windows 10 and if the trend continues, I like to try and avoid running into those situations where I find I can't install Windows X.Y just because my eMMC is too small.

So the extra $50 I had to spend today for the 64GB version, could end up saving me from having to spend an extra $400 in the future by being forced to buy another device just to be able to install the latest Win OS because the one program I wanted to run on that now older device is not Win 8.1 compatible.

As far as Cloud Storage services. They're convenient but always limiting you on what you can do with them and then they want to sell you another monthly bill to expand the storage and upload limitations. What I decided to do instead was purchase an ASUS RT-N66U router which allows me to connect up to 2 USB HDDs and have access to my own cloud storage inside my home network and outside. As long as I have internet access, I can access the HDDs connected to the USB port on the router. Right now I'm using a 1TB USB HDD with no upload, download, or storage limits with no monthly fee which is exactly how I like my cloud storage.

I'm still working on how to put my 6GB Outlook PST file on that USB HDD and have Outlook on my multiple PCs, have my backed up emails synced regardless of the PC I'm working on. It's possible, I'm just not that network savvy to understand all those 3 letter network acronyms that get thrown around in the step descriptions like NAT, VPN, LAN, WAN, WPA, MAC, DNS, etc..etc.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-03-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    ...you have to spend almost the same money anyway to get 32 GB more in an SD card which is less convenient and sticks out the side.
    Do the microSD cards really stick out the side?
    Did ASUS really design it that way ???

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daon View Post

Just for fun, in a couple of weeks I plan on attempting an SSD install inside the keyboard dock, if at all possible. I will also be attempting to install one or two additional USB ports (probably usb 2.0).
    Be sure to keep us/me posted on this OK?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I know this thread is old and the OP probably already made a decision long ago, but oddly, amazon is selling the 64GB version for about $3 less than the 32GB! I just bought the 32 + 500 version 4 days ago for 399 and I just saw today they dropped that one to 369. I contacted amazon and got $30 credited back to me.

I am tempted to buy the 64 GB version now, and switch the 500 GB dock from the first one, giving my kids a 32GB with the regular dock. I don't think they would notice !

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links