Thread: 32GB or 64GB???

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    Don't be sorry or forever second guess yourself... get the 64GB.
    eMMC performance will be bit less though

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Originally I was a bit jealous that I didn't get the 64GB (32GB was ~$280 though), but after 3 months, I still have 13GB free, and am using 20% of my 128GB microSD card, mostly for dropbox and driver backups. No real point in having that extra 30GB if you use it casually for office, some emulators and such. For media storage, microSDs are perfect.

Just for fun, in a couple of weeks I plan on attempting an SSD install inside the keyboard dock, if at all possible. I will also be attempting to install one or two additional USB ports (probably usb 2.0).

Quote Originally Posted by misiaque View Post
    I own the 32GB+500GB model, and basing on experience, I would prefer the 64GB model. I bought an microSD card for total flash capacity of 96 GB and use the HDD very rarely - it consumes energy, it makes noises and frequently stops/starts spinning which is annoying. So i use the HDD mainly as a bulky form of portable HDD (but you have to copy from others via wifi, which is slow). I would go for the 64GB model now, if I had a choice, and pair it with an microSD card when needed.
    Can I have your dock? You can keep the HDD
    Last edited by daon; 03-13-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    when i bought the 32GB version back in Nov, there were so many negative comments about windows update taking space. for some reason thats not happening. ever since Nov i still have the same 13GB space left. I writ everything to my UHS1 CLASS 10 San-disk.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    I had the 32gb version, and I never bothered trying to copy my work files to it - there simply wasn't enough room. With the 64gb version, I have only 11gb left, and Dropbox is complaining about running out of space when I tried to update my 5gb pst file. It means I'll probably have to re-arrange things in the cloud and stop sync-ing my archived work files locally (on this gadget anyway). That's free up a few gigabytes.

I think Windows needs 128gb to breathe easily, if you are going to use it as a work device. As a device for casual use, tablet on the go use, 64gb is fine. My Asus UX31E with 128 GB is just fine for all practical purposes.

Live and learn I suppose - either that, or try a Chromebook and keep everything in the cloud!

rjstep3
    T100HA 64GB
    T100 64GB (now retired in the light of the HA)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Can I install exe files on the sd card or external drive and run from there?

rscheller
    Quote Originally Posted by aj1234 View Post
    Can I install exe files on the sd card or external drive and run from there?
    From my experience and what I've read here, some programs will run installed on external storage but some programs will not... it all depends on the program and how they're installed. If you'd be more specific about which program(s), then maybe someone will have experience and can say for sure.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    I've installed a number of programs on my SDXC card including Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Sony Movie Studio Platinum, Audacity, Eclipse, VirtualBox, and FrostWire, and they're all running fine so far.
    Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    I have the 32gb.
    41 modern apps and 55 programs.
    About 6.3gbs free on C drive. I have the office 365 suite with lync, access, etc. Some programs and games are installed on the sd card (32gb -10.5 free), along with a limited selection of music.
    Main thing I have to make sure of is to do system clean-ups every now and then, because like others have said, windows updates!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Yeah, I am finding space isn't that big an issue. My T100 is living with around 24GiB free (64GB version) with nothing on the micro SD except for media, which is sucking up about 15 of the 30GiB of formatted space.

I wouldn't mind a 128GB version, because I know the moment I install a big game, like Medieval Total War 2, its going to absolutely trash free space (IIRC its 16GB with expansions or 8GB on its own). I may install that to my usb3 thumb drive.

My laptop has 32+128GB and frankly I am thinking I may ditch the 32GB mSATA drive and just run with the 128. I've got around 14GiB free on the 32GiB and I have around 110GiB free on the 128. So if I moved it all to the 128, that would leave me with around 90-95GiB, which is more than enough for anything I'd care to do with it/on it. I don't really load much in the way of movies or anything on my laptop (that's what my tablet is for) and the couple of games don't take up much space. I do need some space for editing and storing pictures before I offload them to my server/desktop on the go sometimes, but that is really only 10-15GiB I need at most for that. So in some ways, I need more space on my tablet than my laptop.

I do hope in the next couple of years that 64GB becomes the standard, with 32GB being the exception for rather low end tablets and 128GB is an option on most tablets, with maybe some high end ones seeing 256GB options. I am cool only having 2-3 games loaded up at a time on my tablet. Or at least big games (3-4 casual ones that take up a few hundred MBs), but a big game is still 10-25GB, which can put pressure on space real fast. I am cool with mostly 720p movies on my tablet, or some 1080p (because I am lazy and don't want to downconvert), so even on a 32GB micro SD that lets me squeeze on 4-20 movies depending on exact size (I think my largest is around 9GB for a 1080p and most of my movies are around 2.5GB or so and 720p)...plenty of entertainment and a 64GB would be nearly overkill for me.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    I'd say go with the 64gb if you can. 32gb+500gb dock is a great option, however, the 500gb dock acts like an external harddrive so you won't be able to install every app/program there. It's more for storing videos, movies, and music. With the 64gb storage on the tablet, you get more space for future windows/asus updates. I suppose it won't be too long before they start selling the 500gb dock separately. If you need more space by then you could just buy that but what's important is that you get the max storage on the tablet itself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links