Thread: 32GB or 64GB???

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oversized2 View Post
    The purpose for the T100 would be for field use at a construction site. The ability to use email, windows office for construction documents and viewing PDF drawings. Don't forsee a need for a lot of added programs other than a possible USB aircard. 64GB in an external card should be plenty for drawings, documents and pics. At $299, won't feel a lot of grief if it doesn,t hold up.
    Then you should be fine w/32GB.

No multimedia, no games.

More than enough space.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    13 times
    I would definitely get the 64GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    13 times
    Go with the 64Gb version. It's a no brainer. While the 32Gb version may be OK to begin with, provided you don't want to install too much, you're going to find that the next two years of windows updates chip away at your eMMC storage capacity in ways you could have never anticipated. Years ago I bought a laptop that came standard with a, 80 GB 6400 rpm drive, or, for the same model you could "side-grade" to a 60 GB, 7200 rpm drive. I chose the latter, thinking that even 60 GB would be way more than enough for me. But wouldn't you know it, it didn't take long before I was deleting programs and finding new and creative ways of freeing up space from my ever diminishing storage capacity.

Now, I will say that this was a Vista running machine, whereas I never really felt a space crunch on a 32Gb Windows XP netbook I owned. Go figure. But my suspicion is that Windows 8 is going to be a lot more like Vista than XP. And the other day I dropped in to Office Depot to play with a T100 only to find 300+ Mb of Windows updates waiting to be installed.

You know the saying: you can never be too rich, too good looking, or have too much storage capacity.

One last thing: you might be budget constrained, but if not, on a construction site I would definitely consider a Panasonic Toughbook tablet. Those things are built for rough environments. The T100 is not, and you may find the screen difficult to read outdoors because of low brightness.
    Last edited by dsf3g; 12-10-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    6 times
    If your going to really USE this tablet GET 64gb hands down. I have 32gb and it's nothing!!! Honestly you can find stuff to fill it up fast now a days. It only comes with just under 15GB. Tried to put Diablo 3 on it memory was full and had to copy from other computer because installing online takes up a little more than 15gb (Guess cause of patches). Then got a 32Gb SDcard which made life better but as I said a few games a couple of HD movies and shows, few thousand songs and memory becomes low again. I find myself having to make space and transfer files from on-board memory to SDcard to flash drive to computer and back which sucks. I try to avoid using main memory now because I see it going down slowly as I use the tablet, maybe because I don't realize where I'm downloading to sometimes. For the price of the SDcard I could have bought 64GB and still had an empty Sdcard slot. Now I wish I had 64Gb with 64Gb SDcard. Btw if you get 32Gb you will most likey buy a SDcard

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    13 times
    FWIW, I just checked the size of the Windows directory on a laptop running a three year old install of Windows 7. It's at 19 Gb and change. Now, true, I haven't done any housecleaning. I haven't deleted any Windows update and service pack rollback files, for instance, and that would doubtless free up a couple of gigs. But it's a fact of life that Windows will slowly gobble up your storage. Even the 64Gb model is going to require housecleaning from time to time if you want to have it run reliably. BTW, the machine in question is the laptop I reference in the post above. I eventually yanked the 60Gb hard drive and replaced it with a 160 Gb drive. Have had no space related issues since. This is part of the reason why I'm still toying with the idea of buying a 128 Gb Surface or 128Gb Core i5 Dell Venue 11 Pro.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dsf3g View Post
    FWIW, I just checked the size of the Windows directory on a laptop running a three year old install of Windows 7. It's at 19 Gb and change. Now, true, I haven't done any housecleaning. I haven't deleted any Windows update and service pack rollback files, for instance, and that would doubtless free up a couple of gigs. But it's a fact of life that Windows will slowly gobble up your storage. Even the 64Gb model is going to require housecleaning from time to time if you want to have it run reliably. BTW, the machine in question is the laptop I reference in the post above. I eventually yanked the 60Gb hard drive and replaced it with a 160 Gb drive. Have had no space related issues since. This is part of the reason why I'm still toying with the idea of buying a 128 Gb Surface or 128Gb Core i5 Dell Venue 11 Pro.
    This points to the general mantra of PCs....you can never have too much hard drive capacity.

That said, WIN 8.1 (when kept clean with routine maintenance) should never exceed about 20% of the 64GB T100 SSD drive. With the ability to add up to 128GB of storage in the form of a microSD card, and a USB port to add a large capacity external drive...storage should never be an issue for anyone.

I take over 8,000 digital photos and 26-30 hours of HD video with me all the time on my T100. Those are held on the 64GB microSD card (less than 1/2 used) for easy access. The main 64GB SSD unit is typically 60% free, despite supporting WIN8.1 and a number of additional installed programs and apps. Just for kicks, I also have my handy 500GB USB 3.0 drive handy if/when needed. I don't anticipate running out of storage capacity on the T100 for many years.
    Maine_Coon likes this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    64GB for sure!

In long term;
    - programs you still will want on C drive location
    - mostly will always cache to C driver
    - consider ongoing windows updates they have to be on C
    - pagefile and hibernation fiels that will consume up to 4GB total
    - m office takes up lots of space

Its all very well having SD card but recently i was not impressed by read/write speed and for storing data is ok

dwu
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    If I get the 32Gb model with 64Gb MicroSD card, will I be able to install programs on the MicroSD Card? Or it has to be on the 32Gb? Thanks.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    My first PC had a huge HDD.
    300MB.

And now we are discussing whether 32GB is enough, lol.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine_Coon View Post
    My first PC had a huge HDD.
    300MB.

And now we are discussing whether 32GB is enough, lol.
    I have 64GB microSD and Flash drives bigger than that - 64GB.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links