Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    My biggest complaint is that often times the MS version of the app is priced higher than the Android or iOS version. Microsoft needs to fix this! Yes, I understand MS does set the prices on 3rd party apps but if they are serious about their app store, they need to either entice devs or subsidize to get the prices the same. There is no way I'm paying $3.50 for Angry Birds on my Windows tablet when it's $1.00 or free on Android... At least Gameloft has kept their sanity. I'll pay $1.99 for Asphalt 8 all day long.
    Well... you can go online and play the Flash version of Angry Birds, etc for free...

But it's not just MS setting the prices though, developers have the option to offer free games but the market share isn't large enough yet to rely on indirect profit from things like ad revenue. MS mainly has a minimum charge requirement for pay for apps but even programs you can play on say Windows 7, which has no price regulation, are still charged a higher premium pricing than they would be on a mobile OS. While MS also allows in app purchases... So it's also the developers setting the pricing but until W8 can get a much larger market share of the mobile market it's not likely that they will reduce pricing any time soon... but the prices are at least a little lower than they were a year ago and hopefully that'll continue...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    When you are entering a saturated market late in the game you can't price yourself above the competition and expect to gain market share. Amazon subsidized their app store to promote the Kindle, MS would be wise to do the same. Windows Phone never really caught on despite being a very sound product. These Windows tablets are flying off the shelves right now, MS really needs to use that momentum in their app store.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    I have an Android tablet as well and I agree, the Windows tablet app selection is way behind. And those that do exist are often inferior to their Android/iOS counterparts (for example, no magazines on Kindle, weird non-standard interface on Netflix, Facebook on Windows crashes constantly, Kayak and Expedia have no "my trips" functionality, Twitter is just a really basic feed, etc).

Additionally, the Windows *store* is way behind Google Play. This is a big deal too, because people aren't going to use the Windows store, and consequently developers won't bother developing for it, until MS catches up. And Google isn't standing still - I think they've got an even better store than Apple does these days. (My wife has an iPad and she has to use several different stores to find apps, music and books, whereas with Google everything's in one store.)

Hopefully this will change over time because otherwise, I don't think I'll be buying another Windows tablet. I bought this partly to run desktop software while traveling but also in the hopes of replacing my ancient Android tablet (a Motorola Xoom) at home, and I really haven't been able to do the latter yet. In fact at this moment my T100 is upstairs sitting on a nightstand while I type this on my laptop with my Xoom on the table in front of me. I still end up using the Xoom more than the T100 while at home. (I do use the T100 while traveling.)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Using the web site is definitely a good alternative.

I think the biggest drawback is that they don't allow offline storage. For the apps I mentioned, the mint.com website works well. Zinio doesn't allow offline storage, and for Evernote, I use the desktop app instead of Evernote Touch. Strangely enough, if these sites develop Chrome apps with offline storage, that would make them easier to use on Win tablets. A touch-friendly version of Chrome would go a long way too. I tried the Canary build, and it's not even close yet, but I'm sure we'll get there in a few weeks or months.

Hopefully with more Win 8.1 users, these companies will get the message and get their apps up to the level we expect on other mobile OSes.

Until then, I'll check some of the more critical apps on Bluestacks to evaluate which ones work.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Amazon subsidized their app store to promote the Kindle, MS would be wise to do the same.
    There's no comparison... Amazon based their app store on Android and so are benefiting from an already established market! MS can't do that unless they adapt Android and that's not going to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
    I have an Android tablet as well and I agree, the Windows tablet app selection is way behind.
    Understandable because they started years after... Neither iOS or Android had great apps when they first started either, it took years for both of them to get to where they are now!

Quote Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
    Additionally, the Windows *store* is way behind Google Play. This is a big deal too, because people aren't going to use the Windows store, and consequently developers won't bother developing for it, until MS catches up. And Google isn't standing still - I think they've got an even better store than Apple does these days. (My wife has an iPad and she has to use several different stores to find apps, music and books, whereas with Google everything's in one store.)
    I think you're forgetting Windows is more than just mobile apps... It's one of the reasons why they're holding onto the old desktop as touch screens become common the need for touch optimized apps become more common, regardless of whether they are mobile optimized or not...

Besides, anyone following development would see that the rate of app growth is going at a pretty good rate... The full ecosystem still has a long way to go but it's definitely growing and improving. A year ago and everyone's opinions of the apps would have been much worse... You couldn't even get Skype back then, but in a few months they're start offering pro apps like Metro version of Office, etc. that should help kick start the process...

Mind, the potential is for now greater even if they're starting way behind because no matter what Windows is still a desktop OS and even with Metro that means more potential for productivity that mobile OS are meant to be used...

Of course, it'll take more than just potential but give it another two years... it typically takes about 2-3 years to really see if a project, new business, etc. will be successful or doomed to failure and starting a new app ecosystem that seeks to cover both traditional and modern UI Windows usages will take time to develop and sort out...

I also don't think comparisons to previous Windows Mobile OS are applicable, as what MS is trying now is different enough to consider it a different effort and the market has changed enough to not assume the same results will repeat...

Products like the T100 are game changers, finally offering a reasonable price with reasonable performance and features and if they continue to sell well it means an entirely new market environment for developers to delve into in the coming year that should make it look nothing like the previous...

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    In reality...no doom or gloom here at all.

It's somewhat amazing that there are already more than 5,000 apps for WIN8 out there. As an ASUS Android user previously...I can vividly recall that it took a long time to even reach that point. Several of the WIN8 apps I've installed are actually BETTER than the Android versions I've previously used.

So based on that, it would seem WIN8 apps are actually ahead of Android apps at the same period of their life cycle. In addition, in looking at how both T100's and other WIN8 tablets are flying off the shelves at retailers...I'd anticipate apps will exponentially grow in number in the months ahead. In fact, I know of 3 developers who wrote Android/iOS apps who have already shared (via e-mail) that WIN8 apps are under development in their shops.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Asus fan, that's great to hear. Win 8 is certainly ahead of where Android was in the early DROID days. Can you discuss some of the apps that are better on Win 8? I'd like to try them out. Tx!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andyroddy View Post
    Asus fan, that's great to hear. Win 8 is certainly ahead of where Android was in the early DROID days. Can you discuss some of the apps that are better on Win 8? I'd like to try them out. Tx!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4
    Just a few...that are as good or better...

Flightaware
    Pandora
    Unpacker
    Network Speed Test
    My Public IP
    CCleaner
    Gallery HD
    Dropbox
    The Weather Channel
    Text Now
    Pandora

Oh...and you might want to give Board Express for Tapatalk a try...
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    My biggest complaint is that often times the MS version of the app is priced higher than the Android or iOS version. Microsoft needs to fix this! Yes, I understand MS does set the prices on 3rd party apps but if they are serious about their app store, they need to either entice devs or subsidize to get the prices the same. There is no way I'm paying $3.50 for Angry Birds on my Windows tablet when it's $1.00 or free on Android... At least Gameloft has kept their sanity. I'll pay $1.99 for Asphalt 8 all day long.
    You can always use Bluestacks or another Andriod emulator on your T100 and access the Andriod apps you own (or cheaper ones you want to get from an Android app store) that way. I loaded Bluestacks on mine, and other than it taking 10-15 seconds to start up from scratch, it runs fine after that.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    5 times
    Isn't part of the reason why the store sucks is because all their stores are separated? Windows Phone, Tablets/PCs, and Xbox store all have different apps/games.

And then Windows 9 is suppose to join all the stores together or something. Anyways, I almost never use my T100 as a tablet. I only use it for netflix. Everything else I do is via desktop mode.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links