Thread: Battery life average - Battery percent readout? - Battery wear

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Question Battery life average - Battery percent readout? - Battery wear

My T100 doesn't show how many hours/minutes remaining, only battery percentage.

All my other notebooks have shown an estimated hours/minutes remaining.

Is this normal for the T100? Is there a way to turn on hours remaining readout? Thanks.
    [Asus T100 64GB]

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

battery life average

On normal use, how long would you say your battery life is lasting? I think I'm getting about 10% loss an hour on web/email use.
    Where do you all stand on this topic? What are the best settings for retaining battery life?

Thanks!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by egboko View Post
    On normal use, how long would you say your battery life is lasting? I think I'm getting about 10% loss an hour on web/email use.
    Where do you all stand on this topic? What are the best settings for retaining battery life?

Thanks!
    I'm getting between 9 hours, 51 minutes to 10 hours, 44 minutes of constant use.

Everyone's experience on battery life will vary, depending on how they use their device and what configurations they have for various power options. The combinations for setup are extensive.

Turning off WIFI when not in use adds battery life - just one example. I use WIFI alot, so it stays on here.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    I am very pleased with battery life. Cannot speak to specific hours. I use the device several times throughout the day. Web browsing, Facebook, etc. - a few hours a day. I charge it every three or four days.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
    I am very pleased with battery life. Cannot speak to specific hours. I use the device several times throughout the day. Web browsing, Facebook, etc. - a few hours a day. I charge it every three or four days.
    That's a good point...my T100 battery life is better than my TF101 (which I always thought was very good).

Even better, the T100 here has a better battery life than my son-in-law's iPad Air (he gets about 8 hours on average despite the advertised 10 hrs.).

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    I'm getting between 9 hours, 51 minutes to 10 hours, 44 minutes of constant use.

Everyone's experience on battery life will vary, depending on how they use their device and what configurations they have for various power options. The combinations for setup are extensive.

Turning off WIFI when not in use adds battery life - just one example. I use WIFI alot, so it stays on here.
    Are there any programs that report this accurately on the T100?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andyroddy View Post
    Are there any programs that report this accurately on the T100?
    I've been looking for one....but for now...I keep a timing tick sheet handy to track it manually.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I had this to hand, so I thought it might help a few folks if I posted it here.

Charging problems with your tablet.

We often get posts asking for help with devices that are refusing to charge. Sometimes, the solution to the problem can be as simple as using the correct charger for your device. Not all a/c chargers are the same. Just because they have a USB connection does not mean they will charge whatever tablet you own.

So the first thing to check is that you are using the manufacturer supplied charger, or at least a charger that has the same output as the charger supplied by the manufacturer. This output can be read on the manufacturers' charger and the two important pieces of information will be the voltage and the amperage. A powered on PC USB port, for example, outputs at 5v/500ma.

The second thing to check is that you are using the charging cable that came with your device. Third party cables (especially those without a lot of owner reviews) sometimes just don't work! Also check to see that your cable and connectors are not damaged.

If you are happy that your charger and cable are fine, (or even if you are not & you want to try it anyway) then the next thing to try is the trickle charge trick.

Trickle Charging
    Lithium based batteries don't like being completely flattened. Sometimes in that condition they will not accept a charge from the regular charger until they have got a little charge in them. In order for that to happen, connecting to a 5v/500ma connection - such as a powered on (& not sleeping) PC USB port, or a low power phone charger (5v/500ma) - for 8 hours or so, then enables the device to get a charge from the regular a/c charger.

So, the process would be...
    • Device refuses to charge (or power on) when connected to the a/c charger.
    • Using the charging cable, connect to a powered on (& not sleeping) PC USB port, or a low power phone charger (5v/500ma)
    • Leave the device connected for a minimum of 8 hours. Longer won't be any problem.
    • Reconnect the device to the a/c charger and try again
    • If that process fails, try replacing either the charger and/or charging cable

Frequent, smaller charges are better for your battery.

Most will be familiar with the fact that a mechanical device wears out faster with heavy use. This analogy applies well when considering the life expectancy of a battery. Given that batteries in tablet devices are not easily replaced, it is worth considering the depth of discharge (DoD) to which tablet devices are allowed to discharge as this determines the cycle count (the number of times the battery can be recharged). The shorter the discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge with lithium based batteries is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life.

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents (produced when charging from a deep DoD) also affect cycle life.

In the list below you can see that charging at around 50% DoD will mean that your battery lasts around twice as long as charging at a low DoD
    • 100% DoD - 300 to 500 charge cycles
    • 50% DoD - 1,200 to 1,500 charge cycles
    • 25% DoD - 2,000 to 2,500 charge cycles
    • 10% DoD - 3,750 to 4,700 charge cycles

Accurate battery charge reporting (calibration).

That said, however, occasional full recharges, perhaps once every 8-12 weeks - from around 10% to full - are a good idea as this enables the software reporting of the level of charge in the battery to stay accurate.

Calibration occurs naturally by occasionally running the tablet down until the battery is fully depleted and “Low Battery” appears. The full discharge sets the discharge flag, and the subsequent recharge sets the charge flag. By establishing these two markers, the battery can calculate the state-of-charge by knowing the distance between the flags

If you have a tablet that is not reporting full charge levels, or inaccurate charge levels, a couple of full "low battery - recharge to full" cycles will invariably resolve that issue.

It will work best if you connect the tablet to the a/c charger and then power off the tablet. This enables the battery to charge without any need for it to maintain a powered on device. So the process would be...
    • Tablet reports "low battery"
    • Promptly finish whatever you were doing
    • Connect to the a/c charger
    • Switch on the a/c power
    • Power off the tablet until the device is fully charged

Acknowledgements to Battery University for some of the information contained in this post.
    svimes and Becosemsaida like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    I had this to hand, so I thought it might help a few folks if I posted it here.
    Great post...hope you don't mind...but I'm also going to copy this into the Tips thread.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Great post...hope you don't mind...but I'm also going to copy this into the Tips thread.
    Be my guest, sir

But if I get told off for double posting I'm gonna blame you.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links