Thread: Battery life average - Battery percent readout? - Battery wear

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zijin_cheng View Post
    So my battery wear a week ago was 9.57%, now its at 12.42%. I've charged it about 5 times between the two values so far. The battery capacity dropped by almost 400mAh from to 26,854mAh in 6 days. And I've run it down to about 0-10% every time to calibrate it. Is that normal?........
    IMHO people should not worry about the battery until they can see obvious problems like a big drop in the amount of hours they get from a charge.
    I think one of the reasons notebook and phone etc manufacturers only put % gauges is because they know people will panic when they see something like Battery Wear 10% and want to send the unit in for 'repairs' which aren't really necessary.
    I suggest you uninstall Battery Bar or whatever software you use and enjoy your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by zijin_cheng View Post
    .......Because right now I'm sitting tight at 40% after using it for at least 6 hours at 20-30% brightness.
    This is all you need to know
    About 60% in at least 6 hours equals about 10% per hour so you should get about 10 hours from a full charge (although you shouldn't actually drain the battery)
    That is what I get and I think those figures are great.
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 02-16-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Also, uh, running down to 0-10% actually does increase wear on the battery versus only running it down to maybe 20-30% before charging it. If you want to "calibrate" the battery wear and battery indicators, you just have to do it every few charges, by every few, I mean maybe every 30-50.

My battery health was around 93% since relatively new, I notice it was around 89% "randomly", but I normally run mine between 50-95% while rarely actually charging it all the way and rarely letting it dip below 50%. I ran it down to 30% or so and charged it to 100% and the battery health was back to 93%.

All that probably means in the end is that the capacity and battery life indicators are now a little more accurate, not that the battery HEALTH indicator is ACTUALLY accurate.

I'd only worry about it if you are seeing something like 70% battery health. THEN you might just have a problem. Given time, you will. The batteries don't last forever. Figure around 300-500 full chargers from new to hit around 50% health (IE 50% original capacity) if you tend to run it from 100% to 0 and back up.

Maybe 1,000 or so if you charging it before it hits 20% left and maybe stopping when its getting up around 90% or so.

The bestest of the bestest would just be using it between around 30% and 80%, which might eek another 20-30% life out of the battery over the "gentle" cycling.

Running it down to 0% and then letting it sit for a couple of weeks before charging it on the other hand could easily knock a couple of percent of REAL battery health off the life of the battery doing that just once.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    10 times
    Perhaps a dumb question: Is it ok to charge the battery for a little bit? For example having it charging for 30 mins then unplugging it. Is there a minimum time that it needs to be plugged in and charging for?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    26 times
    Would you guys that run battery bar mind posting your wear percentage and how old your T100 is? I have a replacement model from the MS store and at just a few weeks of use is showing 22.9%..seems not right. 23,651 of 30,675mWh. Battery life still seems great though.

Thanks

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    where do i find the battery health figure? i don't remember battery bar indicating a percentage.

I uninstalled battery bar last week because i was becoming a nervous battery fiend, always checking out how the battery is doing, instead of just chilling out.
    what i noticed though is that when I charge from 50% to 60%, battery wear improves, like from 9.9 to 8.6.

for now though, battery bar is gone and if i need to peek into the battery reports now and then, ill do the powercfg thing.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    No issues at all doing something like that. The only thing that is bad for the battery is discharging it deeply (below 20%) or charging it completely (above 90%). The former is worse than the later.

Or at least that is the only thing particularly bad that you could actually do in a realistic use case. You could conceivably discharge it too quickly or charge it too quickly, but with the former, I doubt you'd ever be able to do that without removing the battery pack to use it for something else (too quickly being something like putting a 10amp load on the battery), same with charging too quickly, there is probably a cut off on what kind of amperage the battery/T100 will allow for charging (you can get at least a 3A charger to work with it), but if you COULD, say, cram a 10amp charge in to it, it very well might damage the cells from charging too quickly.

Deep discharges and charging to 100% aren't going to kill the battery, but they will accelerate the wear a little more than a very gentle 20-90% use range.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mothproof View Post
    does using white text on black background have any effect on battery? ive read some conflicting info on it, saying it's only applicable to crt monitors.
    Even so i like the look of the dark mode.
    With an LCD, the only difference between black and white is how much of the light is being blocked (black) and how much allowed through (white). The backlight is on regardless. That's what causes backlight bleed - the light behind the LCD seeping around the edges.

Fact or Fiction?: Black Is Better than White for Energy-Efficient Screens - Scientific American

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Well, technically there could be a difference. Some slight amount of voltage has to be applied to the liquid crystals to keep them opaque (or transparent depending on what design of crystals it is). However, the amount of power for full black or full white across even a very high DPI display is going to be miniscule compared to what the backlight and display processing engine consume. Like fractions of a percent of the display processor and backlight are using.

Some monitors (very few) and many TVs (still not a lot though) have dynamic backlighting, so when display predominantly blacks/dark colors it might dim the backlighting for "truer" blacks. You'll see that with "dynamic contrast" displays or some will advertise "local zone backlighting" or something like that.

In that case, if enabled, black/dark scenes will use less power. AMOLED displays also consume significantly less power when mostly black compared to mostly white, as they have no backlighting.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Battery wear

So I've had my t100 for almost a week, and with 3 discharges my battery capacity is at a 15% wear level, reduced to 25,959mWh from the factory level of 30,675mWh.

how is everyone else faring on this front? personally i'm very concerned, as my lenovo x201 had 9% wear after 3 years.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    That seems strange.

What are you using to get that information? I can try the same thing on my T100 and I'll report back with the results. I've had mine for a couple of months now.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links