Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Battery life average - Battery percent readout? - Battery wear

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    forget battery wear. do you get around 10hours of use out of your unit ? use the built in windows battery stat app to check

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    We would need a tool to test battery life. It is very user relative otherwise.

Surely there are some battery benchmark programs available, then all we have to set it the same level of brightnes and we can compare results.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    aparently cheap batteries can't be tested reliably and the T100 has a decent battery but it's still cheap.
    so if you get around 10 hours your battery's probably working fine.

i used to use programs like battery eater on my other cheap laptop and it said my battery was significantly getting worse by the day,
    but in reality battery wear wasnt even noticeable.

all i want to say is,
    i wouldn't worry too much about progs like this
    rscheller likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    I never get close to 10h, maybe 8h. I dont think 10h is real, notebookcheck did their "reader test" and it lasted for 10h30min if I recall, and brightness was set at 50 or 70%.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    dear OP,
    I've read somewhere on the this forums (source from battery university) and I hope this comment can helps you
    "wear": 10% - charge cycles: 2000
    "wear": 5% - charge cycles: 700
    "wear": 0% - charge cycles: 300
    Manufacturer's default: "wear" 6-9% with a 5v charger to maintain your battery's life
    You can charge your machine fully (30675/30675 mWh) with a 5.5V charger instead of your 5v charger
    P/S: My Tf100's wear level: 8%
    and excuse me i'm not good at english

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought my T100 2 months ago and the battery has a wear level of 3%. Although I don't think is an impressive feat, it's within the range I'd consider acceptable for a tablet-kind device like this. A 7,7% wear level in less than a week (god, even in less than 4-5 months!) it's truly fearsome. You should recalibrate the battery 2 or 3 times and keep an eye on it for the upcoming weeks. If continues to struggle like that, it would probable be a good idea to ask for a replacement.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    36 times
    I have read this sort of battery advice before. However, having a 700T which I use togeather all the time, the keyboards battery will often completly discharge, then the tablet battery is used. My question is this. Am I harming the keyboards battery by leaving it discharged whilst running down the tablets battery, so that I can give it a decent charge.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    ~7% battery sounds right. I didn't check mine until I'd had a few cycles on the battery, but mine reads around 7% battery wear and has been holding around that level over the past month or so. I didn't check until I was about 2 weeks and maybe 4-5 total charge/discharge cycles (8-10 partials to add up to 4-5 total cycles) before I ever checked battery wear.

My guess is, this is in part the battery "burning in", but more than anything it is also the battery sensors calibrating, which probably takes a few cycles to settle down.

10:30h doesn't sound wrong depending on brightness if Wifi is on for a reader test. Was it docked or undocked? If docked, especially with the HDD in there, its going to use more power. With the HDD sleeping, we are talking around 400mw, or around 12-15% more battery drain, with no HDD in the dock its around 300mw, or about 10% extra drain.

So if that is docked, 10:30, with the HDD model, that is actually very impressive. If it was undocked, at 50-70% brightness and wifi on, that still ain't that bad.

The T100 is rated by Asus at 8hrs, web browsing Wifi on and 11hrs max run time (likely Wifi off, watching a movie or reading a book, probably 50% screen brightness).

I can squeeze around 12-13hrs out of mine with screen brightness around 30-40%, Wifi off. General web browsing with Wifi on is about 10hrs, all undocked.

Docked, knock maybe an hour off those figures. Light gaming is around 7-8hrs and heavy gaming is about 5hrs. No HDD in my dock though, which if you use the HDD a bunch, will decimate battery life.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by enduser2 View Post
    I have read this sort of battery advice before. However, having a 700T which I use togeather all the time, the keyboards battery will often completly discharge, then the tablet battery is used. My question is this. Am I harming the keyboards battery by leaving it discharged whilst running down the tablets battery, so that I can give it a decent charge.
    Probably not. I'd assume Asus was smart enough to design the battery and transfer behavior so that 0% discharged, actually isn't. Likely it has a true capacity of 3-5% left when it "shuts off". The other thing to consider is, 0% capacity remaining on any computer battery doesn't actually mean that, it just means the battery has reached a voltage such that any further discharge is likely to damage the battery, so it deactivates.

Lithium Ion batteries DO self discharge, usually around .25-5% per day, IIRC, so if you do run it down to "0%", I would not leave it like that for long. I don't mean rush out and charge it in minutes, I just mean try not to leave it like that for several days as THAT can damage the battery (leaving it discharged for prolonged periods of time).

Even on a Windows laptop or what have you, you can safely set the battery shut down level at 0% and it won't really harm the battery. You WOULD want to recharge it within a couple of days, otherwise it WILL damage the battery, but it doesn't do any real harm otherwise. Though it does cause extra wear running it down that much. Probably the difference between 400-500 cycles to 50% battery health rather than a couple of thousand.

By comparison I know someone who discharged their battery to 0% and then went on a trip for a couple of weeks without charging it, came home, charged it and checked the battery health and they'd lost 2% battery health from having done it.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    36 times
    azazel1024 ~ Thanks for the prompt and comprehensive reply. I think that from time to time I'll disconnect the tablet from the keyboard and run it's battery down further, and charge the keypad one up on it's own.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links